Re: Host needed for liberal gun show on Gun Rights Radio Net

Inquisitor wrote:Not comforting that it's a drive by post, hope the guy comes back, would like some more details.
All of the important details are included or can be deduced.

He's got a platform where folks who are involved with guns come to find content, from the rank noob to the more educated leadslinger.

Much like a party with just guys is a sausagefest, he sees his current gun rights podcast lineup as 'Conserva-palooza', and wants at least a token 'opposite' side.

So, just about anyone who posts here makes it through the initial scrutiny. The second barrier, he says he wants someone who can
"articulate your views, maybe do some news, some firearms stuff. I mean it doesn't have to be straight politics, it doesn't have to be that way but..."
And it trails off into 'somebody that is not a flaming conservative'

That's the flag that says to me that it's not a gun show, it's a liberal show with a host that is palatable to the current listener crowd by virtue of the common issue. The phrase "some firearms stuff" does not lend itself to an all-gun show.

So that seems to me to be the structure of what would fit this guy's opening. Other than the fundamentals of providing content consistently and on time, preferably with as little post-production required as possible, I suppose not jumping on the other talent / not jumping on conservatism as a whole would be ground rules.

irishman wrote:I am all for AMIR :thumbup: GG is very good with words but you can't force someone........
Pfft, we're gun club! Hell yes we can force someone. :D

I keeed, I keeed.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

Listen to the attached audio file. It's quite a bit longer than the first, but I hope it fills in some of the blanks.

Podcast

Thank you to everyone who has already contacted me. Looking forward to talking to some of you further. But please listen to the attached file and please contact me if you're interested.
Mark Vanderberg
Gun Rights Radio Network
P.O. Box 966
South Bend, IN 46624
(574) 387-2114

http://about.me/gunrights/bio

Antiquus wrote:Thanks for the update. I now have absolutely no interest in this as outlined. I think if LGC does a podcast, or even LGC members do a podcast - that podcast should serve the needs/interests of this community, other communities can go fly a kite.
That's not a problem LGC could start their own podcast and incur all the costs involved. But then the first scenario as to joining the network would be in place. What I'm trying to do is fast-track it into the network.

The host of the podcast would instantly have thousands of listeners and the backing of myself and the network. It's an opportunity to reach a wider group of people and to add more to your community.
Mark Vanderberg
Gun Rights Radio Network
P.O. Box 966
South Bend, IN 46624
(574) 387-2114

I completely missed this thread - that's a problem when I am away from the computer for several days at a time - but its something I have thought about in the past. I think its great that Mark stopped by to say hi and give us an invite. Its clearly not an LGC representative he wanted (like several people said) so I think you guys definitely took the right approach. I hope several people contacted him and he can get a liberal voice on his show.

As other people have said, this is a time consuming endeavor and has some costs associated with it to get going. Gun Rights Radio Network has an established listener base and obviously would be an excellent platform for someone who wants to do this sort of thing.

If people are interested in having an LGC podcast and are serious about creating it, editing it, researching content, etc then by all means drop me a line and lets see what we can get get going. We definitely have the cyber-infrastructure in place to support this sort of thing and would be happy to lend our support and help to it.

But to answer Mark's wondering about how to get other people into the NRA its fairly simple: make the NRA an organization that is about gun ownership and gun education, and remove the fact that the NRA has become a mouthpiece for the republican party. When the speakers at an NRA meeting are Gingrich, Hannity and Huckabee it is definitely aimed at a particular audience.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Just to let you all know I did not receive an overwhelming response to my request. Did though receive at least one individual who is interested and so were going to move forward and try to develop the idea for the show.

Some of you were very suspicious about my request and I just want to assure you all that it is legitimate. As I say at the end of every one of my Gun Rights Advocates Podcast, "It's not about guns, It's about freedom". And to take that a step further it's not about liberals and conservative gun owners it's about gun owners and freedom.

I'd like to include everyone and I hope when the show finally comes out we can receive your comments, questions and constructive criticism about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my few posts. Will be back from time to time looking for show ideas.
Mark Vanderberg
Gun Rights Radio Network
P.O. Box 966
South Bend, IN 46624
(574) 387-2114

gunrights wrote:Just to let you all know I did not receive an overwhelming response to my request. Did though receive at least one individual who is interested and so were going to move forward and try to develop the idea for the show.

Some of you were very suspicious about my request and I just want to assure you all that it is legitimate. As I say at the end of every one of my Gun Rights Advocates Podcast, "It's not about guns, It's about freedom". And to take that a step further it's not about liberals and conservative gun owners it's about gun owners and freedom.

I'd like to include everyone and I hope when the show finally comes out we can receive your comments, questions and constructive criticism about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my few posts. Will be back from time to time looking for show ideas.
I think its a good thing that the Gun Rights Radio Network is reaching out. :thumbup: In an weird way, its because of them that I even found the Liberal Gun Club Forum.

As a listener of 2 of their podcasts (The Gun Dudes and The New Shooter), and only two because I cannot stomach the others ones that tend to go into politics too much, I think it would be a swell idea.

Look folks, at the very least, we can use this issue to facilitate civil discourse about the issues in this country. Almost all of us have friends and family that love guns but are diehard conservatives but at the end of the day, they are friends and family. I would have loved to become a member of the NRA years ago if it wasn't for their downright hatred towards liberals.

Just my two cents worth.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Catalyst wrote:
gunrights wrote:Just to let you all know I did not receive an overwhelming response to my request. Did though receive at least one individual who is interested and so were going to move forward and try to develop the idea for the show.

I think its a good thing that the Gun Rights Radio Network is reaching out. :thumbup: In an weird way, its because of them that I even found the Liberal Gun Club Forum.

As a listener of 2 of their podcasts (The Gun Dudes and The New Shooter), and only two because I cannot stomach the others ones that tend to go into politics too much, I think it would be a swell idea.

Look folks, at the very least, we can use this issue to facilitate civil discourse about the issues in this country. Almost all of us have friends and family that love guns but are diehard conservatives but at the end of the day, they are friends and family. I would have loved to become a member of the NRA years ago if it wasn't for their downright hatred towards liberals.

Just my two cents worth.
agreed.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

From http://gunrightsradio.com/blog/2012/07/ ... -corner-2/
See recently I have come to the realization that my strong conservative views are not necessarily the same views that my other gun owning friends believe in. Apparently, most of them just nod their head politely when I talk about things that they may not necessarily believe in. Turns out some of them are actually libertarians or that real scary word gun owning, “liberal”. The only reason that I can think of as the reason why friends don’t speak up about their alternate views is that I am pretty outspoken about my beliefs and maybe they are not as strong in there’s. Or they just don’t want to have a confrontation with me. Either way, I wish they would speak up. I like debate and discussing ideas, even if I think you’re wrong. But maybe that attitude is also part of the reason.
Yeah, this guy mark vanderberg wanted people to speak up. Riiiiight. That's why he posted a few threads about something some leftist person said and then without any contributions of his own wanted us to comment. And when we called him on his lack of contributing to the threads, his fuzzy wuzzy feewings got hurt and he ran away. Waah.

If I looked around and discovered that most of the people around me just nodded politely and ignored things I said, I'd realize I was in the minority and apparently in need of some self-inspection. And if the reason that this situation went on this long was possibly because they just didn't want to enlighten me to my minority status, I'd wonder if I really was a conversational porcupine - better just left alone.

Not to mention wondering just how blind I had been, if I had been friends with liberals and yet knew so little about them that I had no idea of their liberalness. What would that say about my interest in other people?

Yeah, going by those trend lines, I don't have any trust that mark vanderberg will be adult enough to actually have a free range liberal on his podcast network, converting the neocons into pinko commie moderates! Oh, the horror! I figure either a set of limitations "Don't venture into social issues, this is a gun theme arena" or a cutting loose of the black sheep from the flock. Though, I'd like to be wrong. I would.

Cowboy T, I wish thee good luck. I think you may need it.

JayFromPA wrote:From http://gunrightsradio.com/blog/2012/07/ ... -corner-2/

Yeah, going by those trend lines, I don't have any trust that mark vanderberg will be adult enough to actually have a free range liberal on his podcast network, converting the neocons into pinko commie moderates! Oh, the horror! I figure either a set of limitations "Don't venture into social issues, this is a gun theme arena" or a cutting loose of the black sheep from the flock. Though, I'd like to be wrong. I would.

Cowboy T, I wish thee good luck. I think you may need it.
Jay from Pennsylvania you are most definitely wrong. The show is going to happen and the content of that show will not be controlled by this conservative. Not only that but this conservative and a lot of others will actually be paying so that that content will be made available. Something I don't see you taking on $$$.

We received a lot of feedback about the show, mostly from conservatives. Who stated the show probably would not be something they would listen to but they think it should be made available. But that's the idea of the show, it's not for conservatives. If only conservatives listen to the show then what's the point. Hosted by a liberal, content created by a liberal, recorded by liberal, for liberals. But there will be curiosity from other groups to listen. I will, as I'm open-minded enough to know I can learn from other people. Can you? (my wife says I have a bad habit of stirring the pot, what do you think) Debate is good if you make progress in it.

You may not like me because I'm a conservative. I have no hard feelings about you in your beliefs. They are your beliefs and this is America you should have no problem exercising them. I believe in the Second Amendment along with the First Amendment that's why our network will bring this liberal show to the public. Whether you care to participate or not.

But I hope some of you here do decide to participate with Cowboy T and maybe do some interviews with him and help him with ideas for shows. When I originally came here asking for help. No I did not get a very warm welcome. Nor did I expect it. But you can see I am serious and things will be moving forward in the coming weeks and I hope you all will give the show a listen.

All of the shows on on our network have a board on GRRN discussion forums. The "Liberal Gun Corner" will also have an area for discussion about the show. But may be if requested your administrator here would consider creating an area dedicated to conversation about the show also. That way none of you have to sign up to our discussion forum if you don't want to. Even though I think you'd probably get treated a whole lot better there than I have here. (bid I say that out loud, damn conservatives can't keep their mouths shut). ;)

"It's not about guns, it's about freedom"

Jay I'd like you to be our guest on our live show "GRRN Bar Stool Discussion". We recorded live biweekly on Wednesday nights and the next show will be this coming Wednesday. Can you make it? http://gunrightsradio.com/live
Mark Vanderberg
Gun Rights Radio Network
P.O. Box 966
South Bend, IN 46624
(574) 387-2114

CowboyT wrote:That would be because he found a host. I am that person. Let's see how it goes.
Good luck :)

CowboyT is a smart, level headed thinker. He's taken us to task for being too myopic and combative in the past, and he's often right. We are defensive, I think with good reason, but its true regardless of justification.

I could (and have) opined about the concern troll invasions we regularly suffer, the less than warm welcome we as a class of participants recieve else where on the intertubes, or even about the apparent requests from people to delete their accounts because they were not uniformly loved immediately on arrival. The choir here has heard it before.

That said, I am (mostly because I am a liberal who won't learn his lessson) cautiously optimistic.

gunrights: We FREQUENTLY put our money where our mouths are, this site, the content, the annual meetings and the CERTIFIED safety programs we run are ALL member supported. I bet even Jay has donated.

We're a registered non-profit, we operate safety course in several states, and we're all very serious about this gun thing.

We're also not all that new.