Blog Discussion: I like 'em old and dead

Talk about anything you like but keep it civil. This is a public forum, the views and opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the LGC.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Inquisitor
Site Admin

Blog Discussion: I like 'em old and dead

#1 Post by Inquisitor » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am

dogngun
Loquacious

Re: Blog Discussion: I like 'em old and dead

#2 Post by dogngun » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 am

Just got my new edition (newer, anyway) of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. I had forgotten that it was edited by Sam Fadala, with articles by Mike Venturino, 2 old but not dead writers that actually know of what they speak.

So many I of my favorites, Keith, Nonte, Skelton, Jordan, are long gone and mostly forgotten. I learned a lot from them all, and now have near 50 years of my own shooting experience...I stopped reading anyone's shooting "advice" long ago.
I still haver my copy of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, though.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by eelj » Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 am

Very interesting blog, I enjoyed it. The old ones didn't have the internet and had to stick to the topic for the publishers. Everything today seems to be about tactical crap and thats why I only read Reloader if I find one on the mag rack which is rare.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

beto
Chatty

#4 Post by beto » Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 am

Good blog. It makes me nostalgic for the early 60's when I started shooting. The "American Rifleman" was mainly technical
and historical (or is age coloring my memory?) and the politics was more muted. I remember that during the Kennedy/Nixon campaign they had side by side op ed pieces by both. This right wing screaming will kill the shooting sports. How many might consider target, skeet , or hunting and are turned off firearms by right wingers? When a truly liberal/left government comes to power, what will they feel they owe firearm owners, nothing. The anti-gunners could have a hey day. For the sport to survive it needs a wider political base. I know the Constitution is supposed to protect our rights but given the current times all articles are optional (see the Patriot Act). I hope the LGC grows to become such a counter weight to the extreme right.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by eelj » Wed May 09, 2012 11:09 am

beto wrote:Good blog. It makes me nostalgic for the early 60's when I started shooting. The "American Rifleman" was mainly technical
and historical (or is age coloring my memory?) and the politics was more muted. I remember that during the Kennedy/Nixon campaign they had side by side op ed pieces by both. This right wing screaming will kill the shooting sports. How many might consider target, skeet , or hunting and are turned off firearms by right wingers? When a truly liberal/left government comes to power, what will they feel they owe firearm owners, nothing. The anti-gunners could have a hey day. For the sport to survive it needs a wider political base. I know the Constitution is supposed to protect our rights but given the current times all articles are optional (see the Patriot Act). I hope the LGC grows to become such a counter weight to the extreme right.
JFK was a lifetime member of the NRA and I bet Nixon wasn't.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#6 Post by ErikO » Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Col. Rex Applegate's one of my favorites.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

whitey
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by whitey » Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 pm

eelj wrote:
beto wrote:Good blog. It makes me nostalgic for the early 60's when I started shooting. The "American Rifleman" was mainly technical
JFK was a lifetime member of the NRA and I bet Nixon wasn't.
Given the current state of the NRA, were JFK still alive today, I doubt he'd still hold his membership.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

wlewisiii
Carpal Tunnel

#8 Post by wlewisiii » Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm

I actually like reading Keith, especially enjoyed his autobiography. He was very typical of his era and full of the causal racism so common then. Still, unlike some of the others, I've never gotten the vibe of actual evil from his writing and I could imagine sitting with him and listening to him spin yarns over a beer or three (as long as I was buying ;) ).
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by eelj » Wed May 09, 2012 12:45 pm

wlewisiii wrote:I actually like reading Keith, especially enjoyed his autobiography. He was very typical of his era and full of the causal racism so common then. Still, unlike some of the others, I've never gotten the vibe of actual evil from his writing and I could imagine sitting with him and listening to him spin yarns over a beer or three (as long as I was buying ;) ).
I'd like him to explain his theory on how opossums give birth. And from what I have read yes you would have to buy the beer. Compared to askins Elmer Keith was down right cuddly.

punkinlobber
Chatty

#10 Post by punkinlobber » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I am very fond of Mike Venterino. He never seems to be political. He seems to be enchanted with his historical firarms and writes well about reloading for them and shooting them. When it comes to reloading and shooting wheel guns, nobody is better than Brian Pierce. He can get a little preachy but I overlook it because of his expertise and the quality of his research and writing. :cap:

Inquisitor
Site Admin

#11 Post by Inquisitor » Sat May 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I should stickie these discussions for a week...