Happy Buy Nothing Day!

I'm not hearing as much about Buy Nothing Day this year, but it's still a great concept.

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

I'm a touch agorophobic, so I don't need much encouragement to stay away from insane crowds. But ideological justifications are always welcome!

Does blowing up some ammo at the range count as "consumption"? Let's hope not, if I don't replace it right away (I know, reloading would help...).
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Re: Happy Buy Nothing Day!

If I've been following the price of an item that I am definitely going to buy and I find that it is offered at a substantial discount today only, then I should not buy it today. Instead, I should wait and pay the full price for it. Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, that'll sure show them! :yahoo:

I've not been out to shop and I'm not planning to (I actually hate shopping, every single damn day of the year), but I might put in an online order for clothes today.
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right. -- MLK

lemur wrote:If I've been following the price of an item that I am definitely going to buy and I find that it is offered at a substantial discount today only, then I should not buy it today. Instead, I should wait and pay the full price for it. Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, that'll sure show them! :yahoo:

I've not been out to shop and I'm not planning to (I actually hate shopping, every single damn day of the year), but I might put in an online order for clothes today.
It's more symbolic than anything else. Sort of an anti black friday.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Sheepishlion wrote:Stay home and grouch all you want, I got this today! :yahoo:
The 10/22's $199 until Dec 23rd. I can be patient and really didn't want to drop money on the take-down even if it was under $300.

I did score a BSA red dot for $20.

Cabela's was a much different experience than Wal*Mart or Target would have been. Screw Wal*Mart and not darkening Target's door until maybe next weekend.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I'm buying some wine today. I may have to some leftovers with it. I hear they go well together.

But not buying Black Friday things, per se.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Bought nothing today. (Well... I did put a few gallons of gas into my motorcycle).

I refuse to become a consumer-lemming and I don't get the black Friday thing; the big box executives must be frothing at the mouth thinking, "Look at the masses lined up at our stores to get their trinkets - they're addicted to consumption! Isn't life grand!"

There should be a law against the greedy bastards opening their stores on Thanksgiving.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Bucolic wrote:I am in NYC this morning. On our way home this afternoon, I will drive right by a monster Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. Although I will be close enough to hear the siren's song, I will not stop to buy.
It seems that Cabela's learned from last year. They had changed around the layout of the store and made the aisles nice and wide. Also had armbands for us knuckleheads that were waiting on line for free stuff. There ended up being over 3000 folks in that store between 5 and 10 am. I was out before the NICS phone banks went live @ 6am.

Also, ours is at a mall location so there were registers on the far end of the store that had NO LINES so I was able to get my scope and coke paid for very quickly.

My $5 card paid for the coke and extended replacement warranty while I used a $25 gift card I bought a few weeks ago when I saw that the $39 red dot I was interested in was on sale for $19.99. Had it mounted to the AR by 7:30 am. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.