Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

I am beginning to carry more. I feel more comfortable being armed while going back and forth to the range, so I am carrying my new Ruger LC9s Pro in a kydex paddle on my right lumbar. It felt a bit odd riding my motorcycle but I got used to it.

When I walk my dog I sometimes do. Hard to carry in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

On topic in relation to the poll, I got my CCW permit in WA because in WA you didn't have to do a background check/ waiting period every time you buy a gun if you have a CCW. The only time I've ever used it for CC was hiking in the back county so I wouldn't freak out other back country wanderers by open carrying. After I got my KelTek sub-2000 for wandering the wilderness, I don't CC at all and haven't applied for a CCW in Colorado either, but I'm a fan of other responsible owners carrying. After adjusting to civilian life I avoid being in that "always ready" mindset, detracts for my everyday joy. ;)
"Never trust a big butt & a smile." -A.I.M. Scientist Supreme

REDONE wrote: After adjusting to civilian life I avoid being in that "always ready" mindset, detracts for my everyday joy. ;)
Well stated, and more important than a lot of folks realize. I have no problem with responsible owners carrying, but there are some who get so wrapped up in "threat awareness" that they live in a constant state of paranoia. No thanks. It can be a fine line between healthy awareness and paranoia, and too many folks are unaware of it.

The funny thing is this; The folks I know who are the most prepared to deal with violence are the least concerned about it on a day-to-day basis. They're healthy, in shape, they train in martial arts and with firearms on a regular basis (because it's fun), and this gives them the confidence to remain cool when they need to. Because of this, they are better at handling confrontation in a non-violent manner than those who don't train. They don't panic or resort to violence from the get-go, because they are comfortable with it. More importantly, they tend to avoid situations or environments where violence is more probable. Sometimes you have to get dirty, but most of the time (in the developed world) you simply do not.
Last edited by Patermagnus on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Lifetime Member
Front Sight Commander (PM me if you are interested in certificates or membership/includes Ammo/Firearms purchase upgrades).
The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.- Hitch

Absolutely! I found an Aikido/kendo dojo that operates out of a Pilates studio after hours. I do it because it's fun exercise and I can tell all my friends I'm just doing Pilates so they don't think I'm trying to be some MMA cage fighter or something. :beer2:
"Never trust a big butt & a smile." -A.I.M. Scientist Supreme

Ah... The reason why the best Kendo-ka in Japan are often from the Police Department.

It makes sense for police officers to practice martial arts so they don't rely on their side-arm in every confrontation.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I carry wherever legally allowed. I've figured out the right gun/holster/clothing combo for most situations so now it's just a natural thing. I don't think about being the hero or the "sheepdog", nor do I have delusions of being a freelance cop or wannabe soldier. I carry to protect me and mine, and that's about the extent of it. If I can talk my way out of a dicey situation, amazing - if not, it's nice to know I have the means of effective self-defense at my disposal.

Have I trained way above and beyond the requirements for my state? Sure, because any sort of training is good, and it's fun and engaging work. I've got pistols and rifles for sport and self/home defense, and yes I will allow for the small chance of societal collapse where outside help is not coming and it's down to the individual.

In re-reading this resurrected thread, I felt there should be another poll option: "No, it is essentially impossible to obtain a carry permit where I live."

That is the reality for me, and for many others here in certain metro areas around the country.

And I'm fine with that, given my current life situation. However, if the laws change here, or my place of residence changes, and I find myself surrounded by millions of ignorant yahoos* legally packing heat, then I will too.

* Yes, that is how I view most gun owners, present company excepted. And most Americans, for that matter. But maybe I am just Grumpy Cat this morning...
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

This. Also damn I just told the daughter she can have the car, and there's a pair of revolvers in the console.....waitaminutewaitaminute...

But really, it's just another thing to carry, most of the time not as useful as a Swiss army knife, but I'm fond of it the same way. Safety is not far from mind and so you must respect this tool, but what I carry I know will give good service.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

nmgonzo wrote:
Paladin wrote:When I walk my dog I sometimes do. Hard to carry in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeny, meeny, miny moe,
Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers make him pay,
Fifty dollars every day.
Nice Rugers....

I don't carry but am looking into it seriously...the CCL and a pistoli for that purpose. I've chosen the Ruger SR9c 9mm.
Now I need to go to the range and pract-ize (think the old Bugs Bunny Hillbilly Hare cartoon) then take the class.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

I plan on getting the permit... just in case the need would arise, but I don't intend to carry on any regular basis. The idealist in me would NOT like to live in some reproduction of the old west. He gets into a lot of arguments with the realist in me. ;)
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

dpfeifer wrote:I plan on getting the permit... just in case the need would arise, but I don't intend to carry on any regular basis. The idealist in me would NOT like to live in some reproduction of the old west. He gets into a lot of arguments with the realist in me. ;)
I want to address MaxwellG as well.

You should carry on a regular basis. Just get a small one that you can handle and keep it either IWB or OWB at your 4 or 5 o'clock.

You may not go into bad neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean it won't find you somewhere. It's happened before that a person, usually a woman, is assaulted and robbed at a shopping mall's parking lot.

Google up "Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom".

I intend to carry daily once I get my permit and I get a gun small enough to conceal well.

Elmo wrote:In re-reading this resurrected thread, I felt there should be another poll option: "No, it is essentially impossible to obtain a carry permit where I live."

That is the reality for me, and for many others here in certain metro areas around the country.

And I'm fine with that, given my current life situation. However, if the laws change here, or my place of residence changes, and I find myself surrounded by millions of ignorant yahoos* legally packing heat, then I will too.

* Yes, that is how I view most gun owners, present company excepted. And most Americans, for that matter. But maybe I am just Grumpy Cat this morning...
I guess we could edit it :)

Very rarely.

I tend to feel uncomfortable with the proverbial big iron on my hip. Besides which, there's the "rule of three" that, whether true or no, leads me to think (in the unlikely event) I'd have missed the fireworks before I'm ready to participate anyway. Then there are incidents like the Lakewood shooting ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood, ... r_shooting ) wherein four trained and armed professionals were killed by one guy. So I usually just don't bother carrying.

Apologies for the run-on sentences.

Instead, I've got everything in pieces, with a lock on any piece that can have a lock stuck on it. Then inside locked boxes, that are inside a locked box. Cartridges in a little safe. I figure that I can be ready for the shooting range in about 10 minutes. Similar for if the emergency broadcast system announces we're being invaded by space monsters.

And in the meantime, I'm free to wander into a bar on a whim or take a shortcut across a playground.