Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

GTN wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:58 pm
GTN wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 pm Every where I can
New Jersey.
Nothing else to say.
?
YankeeTarheel means that it’s damned near impossible to legally conceal carry in New Jersey. NO ISSUE for ordinary citizens. But since you’re right next door in New York State you already know that...

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 pm
GTN wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:58 pm
GTN wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 pm Every where I can
New Jersey.
Nothing else to say.
?
YankeeTarheel means that it’s damned near impossible to legally conceal carry in New Jersey. NO ISSUE for ordinary citizens.
But since you’re right next door in New York State you already know that...
Yup. It's near impossible to legally carry, period. You can carry on your own property, assuming you legally own your firearms, but that's about it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

[/quote]

YankeeTarheel means that it’s damned near impossible to legally conceal carry in New Jersey. NO ISSUE for ordinary citizens. But since you’re right next door in New York State you already know that...
[/quote]

I knew NJ was bad but didn’t know it was that bad. I’m 8 hours away from NJ

GTN wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 pm
[/quote]

I knew NJ was bad but didn’t know it was that bad. I’m 8 hours away from NJ
[/quote]

I live 3,000 miles away, never been to N.J., and I knew that. But I’m a know it all, or like to *think* I know it all. 8-)
Here in Oregon every gun owner I’ve talked to about concealed carry knows the laws of the neighboring states. There isn’t anyone here who doesn’t know you can’t take your carry gun into California. So I’m a little surprised a gun owner doesn’t know about the severe gun rights climate in a neighboring state. That’s just me living in my own little world, I’m sure. :wave:

I avoid conflict whenever humanly possible.

I always park far away, because I do not have the patience to fight for close spots.

I don't wear a TRUMP pin, nor Bumper Sticker, because I know intolerant, violent people are about.

BUT - I carry every day.

WHY ?

Mostly due to ROAD RAGE,

I have been threatened many times because I refuse to "Block the Box", drive through Stop Signs, or travel 50 MPH through a School Zone.

No, I do not stubbornly drive in Left Lane at some arbitrary Speed Limit. I drive so as not to inconvenience anyone.

But you and I both know there are nuts out there.

I carry every day, even inside my home. The only exceptions to this are sleep/shower, or if I travel to Maryland/DC. I keep it in a lockbox in my truck during the work day since my company prohibits weapons on company property, but it's back in the holster as soon as I'm out the door.

Putting it on in the morning is automatic, just like putting on a seat belt when I get into a car.

sonhenry said:

After Harvey, well, let's just say that was an insightful experience ...
"Lord of the Flies" and all that. Any crowd of people is 5 minutes away from violence with the right catalyst.

In any decent society, only 5% of the people would go berserk in a crisis such as "Harvey", but that 5% looks like a lot of people in a population of a million souls.

I carry every day and everywhere it is legal. It may sound irrational, but it is one of the reasons I moved my primary residence from California to Nevada.

After 20 plus years of virtual no issue in my county, we have a new sheriff. I applied in February. I picked up my permit this morning. I can now legally carry anywhere that is not a "prohibited place" in California. I likely won't carry everyday or everywhere, but it's a very welcome change for things like traveling, malls/movies/big cities and camping.

featureless said:

I can now legally carry anywhere that is not a "prohibited place" in California.

First: Congratulations. I like the option to carry concealed.

Second: This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening in California.

max129 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 pm
featureless said:

I can now legally carry anywhere that is not a "prohibited place" in California.

First: Congratulations. I like the option to carry concealed.

Second: This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening in California.
Thank you. Actually, roughly two thirds of the counties issue permits, just not near the Bay Area or LA. Funny that they must not understand that folk from more lenient counties walk armed among them. The horror!

I applied for my permit and taking my class tomorrow. I don't think I will be carrying all the time, but there are locations and times where it might not be a bad idea. I'm getting older, have some heart issues, and run-fu simply isn't a martial art I'm likely to be proficient enough at in a critical moment.

tomservonaut wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm I applied for my permit and taking my class tomorrow. I don't think I will be carrying all the time, but there are locations and times where it might not be a bad idea. I'm getting older, have some heart issues, and run-fu simply isn't a martial art I'm likely to be proficient enough at in a critical moment.
What's your carry gun? If you don't have one yet, we'd be happy to pick one (or seven) out for you. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 pm
tomservonaut wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm I applied for my permit and taking my class tomorrow. I don't think I will be carrying all the time, but there are locations and times where it might not be a bad idea. I'm getting older, have some heart issues, and run-fu simply isn't a martial art I'm likely to be proficient enough at in a critical moment.
What's your carry gun? If you don't have one yet, we'd be happy to pick one (or seven) out for you. ;)
I don't really have one I'm sure I'm comfortable with. I need something that can just fit in a pocket holster. I don't like the idea of an IWB holster, and I'm not walking around with five pound cannon bumping into things. At the moment I have a mousegun Jimenez JA-22 (I know.. I know. budget) . It's tiny, and with mini-mags it doesn't jam too much. But it does have problems failing to feed. I'm kicking myself for not getting a Taurus PT-22.

I have a Taurus snub 357, but in SA the trigger is WAY to hairpin, and it's a pain in the wrist to shoot. I have practiced on it with 38 special cowboy ammo that reduces enough of the recoil to make it manageable to practice but again, it's close to a pocket pistol but not quite.

I want something I can enjoy shooting at the range AND be a decent pocket pistol. I know that's not an easy order. At the moment I'm gravitating between Keltec P32, one of those NAA mini revolvers, or the Taurus tip up PT-22.
I am always open to ideas though.

Those are all valid concerns, as we get older we have to honestly evaluate what we can practice with and shoot well. As long as you can shoot accurately with a 22lr and you can conceal it, then it works for you. Two stories that standout for me concerning 22lr pistols; an older woman kept burglars at bay with an older 22lr revolver after she showed them she could shoot accurately; and a women killed a rapist who got into her home with her Walther P22 pistol. You're in TN so you can buy anything and there's probably a good used firearms market. Kel-Tec has been around for awhile, it's polymer framed and light to carry, but at 6.6 oz it will have a kick to shoot. Kel-Tec, Beretta, Taurus, Walther....there should be a lot on the used pistols and semi-autos in 32 ACP. 25 ACP might be another caliber to consider.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 pm Those are all valid concerns, as we get older we have to honestly evaluate what we can practice with and shoot well. As long as you can shoot accurately with a 22lr and you can conceal it, then it works for you. Two stories that standout for me concerning 22lr pistols; an older woman kept burglars at bay with an older 22lr revolver after she showed them she could shoot accurately; and a women killed a rapist who got into her home with her Walther P22 pistol. You're in TN so you can buy anything and there's probably a good used firearms market. Kel-Tec has been around for awhile, it's polymer framed and light to carry, but at 6.6 oz it will have a kick to shoot. Kel-Tec, Beretta, Taurus, Walther....there should be a lot on the used pistols and semi-autos in 32 ACP. 25 ACP might be another caliber to consider.
The thing that I'm hoping to learn more about in the class are whether to carry chambered or not. I know it's a long discussion. Frankly. lose change in my pocket could move the safety on that Jiminez. The trigger takes an act of congress to move, but still.

tomservonaut wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:41 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 pm Those are all valid concerns, as we get older we have to honestly evaluate what we can practice with and shoot well. As long as you can shoot accurately with a 22lr and you can conceal it, then it works for you. Two stories that standout for me concerning 22lr pistols; an older woman kept burglars at bay with an older 22lr revolver after she showed them she could shoot accurately; and a women killed a rapist who got into her home with her Walther P22 pistol. You're in TN so you can buy anything and there's probably a good used firearms market. Kel-Tec has been around for awhile, it's polymer framed and light to carry, but at 6.6 oz it will have a kick to shoot. Kel-Tec, Beretta, Taurus, Walther....there should be a lot on the used pistols and semi-autos in 32 ACP. 25 ACP might be another caliber to consider.
The thing that I'm hoping to learn more about in the class are whether to carry chambered or not. I know it's a long discussion. Frankly. lose change in my pocket could move the safety on that Jiminez. The trigger takes an act of congress to move, but still.
If you're going to carry in your pocket I'd strongly recommend a pocket holster, it covers the trigger which is the main thing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:00 pm
tomservonaut wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:41 pm
If you're going to carry in your pocket I'd strongly recommend a pocket holster, it covers the trigger which is the main thing.
Will do that, absolutely.

The only caution I'd throw out there is rimfire is generally less reliable than center fire. I pocket carry an LCP (.380). It's not awful to shoot but certainly not a range gun. I think the Shield in .380 would be the bee's knees but they aren't allowed in CA.