Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, getting a permit here is nearly impossible. That said, there are 2 occasions that I'm convinced that a person or persons had ill intentions and the perception that I had retrieved a firearm convinced them to move along.

Eris wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:The gun rules didn't bother me as much as you because my decision to acquire firearms happened when I awoke 11 months ago on November 9th and found it was NOT a nightmare but a catastrophe: Trump really HAD been elected President....before that, I had zero interest.
The election was the straw the broke the camels back for me regarding concealed carry. I wonder how common such reactions were.
Washington is a "shall issue" state and I've had my carry permit for 20 years. I wasn't consistent about carrying until the election results. Now I carry religiously and my inventory has expanded to include a KSG and a M1A SOCOM. What I used to spend on guitars gets spent on bulk ammo, range time and training.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

Dreamsinger wrote:Now I carry religiously and my inventory has expanded to include a KSG and a M1A SOCOM. What I used to spend on guitars gets spent on bulk ammo, range time and training.
One more way Trumpism and the Alt-Right are destroying our Democratic Republic. Much more fun to spend $$ on guitars than guns. And you don't need range time to use them!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Dreamsinger wrote:Now I carry religiously and my inventory has expanded to include a KSG and a M1A SOCOM. What I used to spend on guitars gets spent on bulk ammo, range time and training.
One more way Trumpism and the Alt-Right are destroying our Democratic Republic. Much more fun to spend $$ on guitars than guns. And you don't need range time to use them!
There are more than a few guitarists out there that should be required to get some training <g>. The difference with guns and guitars for me is that hell would freeze over before I paid $5000-$10,000 for *a* gun. As for the the destruction of our "Democratic Republic", the root cause blame lies squarely on the fact that 4 out of 5 *eligible* Americans don't vote. "In a democracy you get the government you deserve".

So...last week I moved my vote from the bottom to the top. \o/

Today I had jury duty...had to leave the holster, spare mag, and pocket knife home... That felt strange. (That didn't take long... :shock: ). Got to the courthouse and found a chair in the jury pool room that ultimately contained 399 new friends. Big square room...only 3 exits and one of those was a narrow tunnel out of the basement...400 people packed in like sardines...no armed presence...no barriers from the street. Man, the feeling of being in a soft target with nowhere to hide isn't comfy at all.

Dreamsinger wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:
There are more than a few guitarists out there that should be required to get some training
That would be me!!!! :thumbsdown:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I work in a "no carry zone." As such, I generally don't carry. I ride my bicycle to work so I can't just stash a pistol in my car. Most other times I do carry though.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

I carry daily. In Ohio, you can legally keep a weapon locked in your car while you are at work, so its not hard to keep a small .380 handy. There were a few gay men attacked and beaten in my neighborhood a few months ago, which re-kindled my interest in guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richudson wrote:Yabu, I must sympathize with you. TV gives a strange impression of people held at gun point being completely unscathed when the matter is resolved. As a former LEO and a retired therapist I can say without equivocation, people who have had guns pointed at them by strangers are damaged by the experience, this includes cops. I did a great deal of PTSD treatment using hypnotherapy. Very often our bifurcated brains make a dual assessment of dangerous situations. The left brain, which has a clock and loves numbers and symmetry - the very practical side - is done with a situation when it's over. The right brain doesn't work that way. In doing treatment with traumatized patients I learned that the right brain may have thought that death was inescapable and is simply in a grotesque fog because it is unable to assimilate that its life didn't end. Using hypnotherapy I was able to help people resolve this and end what may have been years of anxiety disorder in all of its manifestations. It is a terrible thing to do to a person, to put them in imminent fear of death. I've seen the happy little tellers on a TV show being questioned after a bank robbery. I've also seen the real ones and they are shattered people.
I was dragged out of my car, beaten and threatened at gun point in Massachusetts in 1989. It was a case where being armed would have changed everything, as I had a clear shot at the gunman through one of my freshly broken car windows. I was deeply effected for months afterwards; but I absolutely know I would use my weapon if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carried once--while walking my dog near my house. I was concerned about attacking stray dogs (which has actually happened to people my development) and the admittedly rare but not impossible black bear. I'm still nervous at the thought of carrying again. In PA you can shoot an attacking animal, and don't have to wait for it to bite you or your pet. Some people take their dogs out without a leash.

I'm too dang ill at ease at the thought of carrying in a shopping mall or a Walmart or a restaurant. I don't live in a high crime area but there is one about 7 miles away. Every time I go to the movies with my wife, I think about Aurora, Colorado. Unfortunately, the theater I patronize has a no firearms sign on the door.
"The last thing right-wing nuts, fascists and haters want is liberals owning guns and knowing how to use them." - Wise Liberal

Trek wrote:I carried once--while walking my dog near my house. I was concerned about attacking stray dogs (which has actually happened to people my development) and the admittedly rare but not impossible black bear. I'm still nervous at the thought of carrying again. In PA you can shoot an attacking animal, and don't have to wait for it to bite you or your pet. Some people take their dogs out without a leash.

I'm too dang ill at ease at the thought of carrying in a shopping mall or a Walmart or a restaurant. I don't live in a high crime area but there is one about 7 miles away. Every time I go to the movies with my wife, I think about Aurora, Colorado. Unfortunately, the theater I patronize has a no firearms sign on the door.
If PA law is like Oregon law then you can ignore the “Firearm Prohibited” signs and carry anyway, if you have a valid CHL.
If the proprietor finds out that you’re carrying a gun all they can do is ask you to leave and then “trespass” you if you refuse.
But if you adhere to the maxim “concealed means concealed” then how will they know?
(Disclaimer: this does bot constitute legal advice. Consult your lawyer.) :smart:

For the most part, yes. Although I live in a liberal state, it's Vermont, which is a right to carry state. Now, as for why, it is partly due to the area I live in, partly due to politics. The neighborhood I live in has a surprisingly high crime rate due to the drug crisis. On top of that, there are some racist elements (even in Vermont) that frankly scare the crap out of me. While I'm not one to go looking for trouble, I do take self-defense pretty seriously, so I carry when and where I can. My weapon is a last resort when all other options are no longer viable.
"People say satire is dead. It's not dead - it's alive and kicking in the White House." Robin Williams
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu

Yes. I'm not paranoid, but it's comforting knowing I have an equalizer on me. When I first got my CWFL, I had (still have) a '94 Beretta Cougar. I tried to conceal it on the belt. What a hassle down here in the sun and fun. I went through several holsters and smaller handguns until right now I've got an LCP in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I prefer a 9mm so the Ruger EC9s is a real possibility for pocket carry with it's smooth integrated non-snag sights. The LCR .357 is also calling my name.
I carry not to save the world nor am I a self appointed LEO. I carry a Self Defense firearm to defend myself, wife and family, if the need arises and opportunity presents. Wife also carries.

I have not carried in over a year. I think I need to get rid of my Glocks and focus on reliable thinner guns maybe. I'll start again since I think too many crazy people are cooking off all the time and they are armed, I'm actually not very concerned about intruders and robbers but carrying would give me an opportunity to equalize things if threatened with grave bodily harm. I think I also need to start figuring out holsters for my vehicles. I have a Wrangler, a 4Runner, and a truck. When I go on trips, I always have a gun in the vehicle but I still don't carry on my person. I need to change that.

Flyer wrote:I have not carried in over a year. I think I need to get rid of my Glocks and focus on reliable thinner guns maybe. I'll start again since I think too many crazy people are cooking off all the time and they are armed, I'm actually not very concerned about intruders and robbers but carrying would give me an opportunity to equalize things if threatened with grave bodily harm. I think I also need to start figuring out holsters for my vehicles. I have a Wrangler, a 4Runner, and a truck. When I go on trips, I always have a gun in the vehicle but I still don't carry on my person. I need to change that.
When I first started carrying 20 some odd years ago it was a ParaOrdnance 1911. It was a real PITA to conceal. In warmer weather it required wearing more clothes than I normally would and I carried less and less. I started looking for something more compact and tried a Taurus Ultralight in .22mag but it wasn't the answer. I wound up with a KelTec P11 with a pocket clip. The trigger is brutal but it's the most comfortable gun to carry. It's not a fun gun to shoot but I force myself to put a few mags through it a month.

IMO it depends on my level of Paranoia. If I have to go to Fayetteville, NC AKA Fayettenam, I always carry on my person. Going to the local,Grocery store during the day the gun stays in the car. If I have to go to a gas station/Walmart in the evening I carry. A hike in the woodlands I carry for critter protection. Don't like snakes or coyotes.
:sarcasm: Some in this state always carry even in church because you never know when the bad guys will show up to rob the poor box.

I carry right now to get into practice of good habits, and because I work in security related fields. I wasn't carrying for a while simply because i couldn't find a good holster solution but eventually I made some adjustments (attaching small lengths of spare lashing straps and an extra belt clip) to my holster so that I can drop it below the beltline but keep it in reach. Having to wear your shirts tucked in hot weather makes concealed carry really uncomfortable if you don't have a pocket pistol.

I carry either a full size 1911 or a Zastava M57. I need to find something smaller, as the full size jobs can be a pain in the ads some days.

We don't have to get a permit in Missouri anymore, but I've had my permit for a good long time now and intend to keep it. The permitless bullshit we have here makes more than a little nervous. The ccw class was a joke in my opinion, but it was at least some kind of training. Now with any non prohibited person legally allowed to carry, my head is on even more of a swivel than before.
Screw communism

I carry daily. I am a believer in being consistent; also a believer in random chance. How many videos of violent crimes news start with people saying "we've never had anything like that around here" line.

We moved to Alabama 4 years ago and the neighbor said there had not been a close by tornado in 30 years, a fact that my wife used over and over again as justification not to have a plan for a tornado every time I brought it up. Wouldn't ya know it the 2nd year we were here a tornado cut across our property and the property of neighbors. And yeah, it really does sound like a train whizzing by 5 foot from the house.

My point being is you just don't know. That's why I carry. Always. Unless prohibited by law. And then if I can I avoid going there.

I have stopped carrying as I am constantly bouncing around 4 different states (FL, AL, GA, and MS) constanly, it is not uncommon for me to be in all of them in one week, and in my bouncing I am going to traditionally regulated sites (medical and government facilities, prisons, and universities) and hell if I can keep up with what each states laws are regarding each of the types of sites I visit for work. So I said screw it and no longer carry. In a self defense situation I plan to either run, or if require open the case of "interesting work chemicals" and be featured on one of those "only in Florida" segments.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

DougMasters wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 am I don't carry a gun and don't think I would. I am not sure I have what it takes to use a gun if needed so, better for me to leave it at home.
I have to admire anyone who can be that honest. Too many people reach that conclusion and attempt to project it every gun owner.