Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

begemot wrote:Congrats sikacz! Having the option to carry is awesome, even if you don't choose to exercise it. :beer2:

To me, it demonstrates a government's respect for the fundamental (self-defense) civil right of its populace and a level of trust that is rare in the world. Truly a unique benefit to life in the US.
Thanks, agree to all the above!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

TheViking wrote:I carry most of the time except where illegal. I don't see it as being paranoid, just one of those "I will probably never need it but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" - same reason I have full insurance, a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher.
Yup, I couldn't agree more. I just renewed my CCW (in Michigan they are good for five years). I am thinking seriously about retaking to class. It's kind of expensive, the last time I took it it was $125.00. I want to make sure my perception of the current law is, in fact, current. Besides it is one of the most sobering classes I have ever taken. It really drives home the defensive nature of carrying. I don't think anyone left our class eager to have to draw their weapon.

Congrats Sikacz! I do hope you are never in a position to need it.

Share and enjoy!!
Shower together to save water.

ar15l wrote:There is a muffler exhaust shop in town that has this posted both on their front door and on the wall inside. :thumbup:
I work for a motorcycle accessory store and we have a lot of very expensive parts around so our boss (who has more guns that me) actually encourages CC at work :D

highdesert wrote:I could get a CCW permit in my home state, but at this time I don't feel the need. I do carry out of state usually a revolver in the car.
Just because you don't feel the need doesn't mean you shouldn't get one.
Having one means cash, wait 10~15 mins, carry home vs. waiting a week.
I don't understand you carrying your revolver in the car w/o a permit. That would be my biggest reason to have a permit. It's one less thing they can hassle you with.

ar15l wrote:I don't understand you carrying your revolver in the car w/o a permit. That would be my biggest reason to have a permit. It's one less thing they can hassle you with.
Some states extend the definition of "ones home" to include their vehicle, and in some cases their work places, which effectively extends the right to carry concealed in ones "home" to include their vehicle or place of work .. depending on the state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation. -- Samuel L. Clemens

My feelings on this have evolved. I don't carry simply because I'm too lazy. There's no option for that on the poll.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

otb4evr wrote:Went through the CCW training class a couple weeks here in IL and will be carrying daily once the permit goes through.

The mindset has already been approved by the owner of the place at where I work. :-)

Jim
I just got mine in Illinois =)

I don't carry. Yet. Just became an option in IL.

I'm still in the process of deciding what pistol I want to carry. Once I've decided & acquired said pistol, then I'll take classes & get a permit.

I work in a place where I can't carry under the IL law, so for much of the time I wouldn't be able to carry, anyway.

Pretty much set on a 9mm semi-auto, just trying out different options until I find the right one.
The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.

I don't commonly carry and Virginia laws are open carry friendly (no permit required) -- sometimes the people are not as carry friendly as the laws. Cops individualy can be either pro or against gun carring. I have decided to get a concealed carry permit to simplify transport and do things like being able to wear a jacket when I walk in the woods.
-- Plinker in Virginia

This is an instance where I show that I can grow and change.

I've previously stated (and voted) that I do not carry. Frankly, I still do not need to carry due to my job or living circumstance. But I've known many friends who do carry and understand why they do.

Because AZ has relaxed its firearms laws in the past year or so, there is no need for a CCW to carry concealed while open carry was legal for as long as I remember. Recently, I've started carrying concealed, first just to the range, then to town when I go shopping. I've learned to be conscious of where I am -not to inadvertently have my revolver on me in places I am not allowed due to laws or preference of the shop-owners etc. To me it was more an exercise in experience more than anything.

But interestingly, I've found myself changing my views about carrying a gun on my person. I like my toys and enjoy my freedoms because I am all about personal responsibility. I understand why so many people are now fighting for their "freedoms" even while much of society (and yes, I do feel it is the majority view where I live in this part of SE AZ) really do not support open/concealed carry in general society.

I still don't need to. But yes, I now sometimes conceal-carry just because I can. This coming from a long-hair hippy born after the 60's...
Last edited by Bisbee on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

A distinction is appropriate for various community standards. Carrying openly in the Rogue National Forest convenience store where they know you is not the same as 3rd and Pike in downtown Seattle.

But in an urban setting, unless you're in uniform, OC is tactically and politically a poor idea, IMO.

AT a minimum open carry says shoot me first. It also says I am unaware of how scaring non-gun people is counterproductive or I don't care what they think. I don't see any advantages either way.

The smart way to do it is so nobody knows you're armed until they have to and at a point when it's too late for them to do anything about it.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

I agree open carry removes the advantage a firearm would give me if I had to use it.

As for my ccp It is also practical if im in my car going to a range and a weapon is in my car and loaded and I don't have a ccp In Washington state I have committed a crime because according to our state law in a car is the same as concealed.

I have carried while fishing a few times. More just to take the gun out to where I could pop off a few shots than to protect myself from anything. Though I admit, I know enough people who have had encounters with backwoods tweakers that I didn't exactly MIND having that measure of safety. I mostly have my CCW to avoid the hassle of waiting a week for a new gun and to avoid any confusion over illegally transporting a weapon.

I bought a S&W Shield 9mm the other week. Mostly because it's a nifty little gun. But I may CC it a few times just to try and understand how it feels to do so. It seems like an experience that might be worthwhile for me as an open minded gun owner. If that makes any sense. In general, my life doesn't really require doing CC these days. I live in a pretty mellow small city and I don't tend to be anywhere where the most common crimes that CC could protect against frequently happen. And half the time I'm taking the kids to a school function or stopping in the brewpub or doing any one of a number of things where I'd either have to deal with storage/safety of a gun that I needed to take off, or I would have to break the law (or be a jerk) to continue wearing. Neither of which are particularly acceptable to me given the staggeringly low risk level that my daily life sees.

I'm generally against open carry in any sort of a "civilization" setting. I think it's tactically questionable and at the very least, does far more harm than good to the cause of 2A and CC itself. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure. But open carry in starbucks doesn't make anyone say "oh look at those good patriots being normal folks" unless they were already inclined to feel that way. It just freaks out the anti gunners and makes the on-the-fence people think to themselves "Why do pro gun people have to be such jerks to everyone?". There are a lot of issues in the USA where people would be a lot more open and understanding about something that they don't identify with if you aren't shoving it in their faces.

Now, open carry in a rural setting or in the woods, I have no general issue with and it can serve both a tactical and practical purpose. There's no easy way to get a gun out from inside your waders if you need it. But even then, the few times I've been open carrying and met other people on the trail or river, I've tried to make the extra effort to be friendly and relaxed in case they weren't used to seeing a weapon on someone's hip/chest.

HereInWA wrote:I have carried while fishing a few times. More just to take the gun out to where I could pop off a few shots than to protect myself from anything. Though I admit, I know enough people who have had encounters with backwoods tweakers that I didn't exactly MIND having that measure of safety. I mostly have my CCW to avoid the hassle of waiting a week for a new gun and to avoid any confusion over illegally transporting a weapon.

I bought a S&W Shield 9mm the other week. Mostly because it's a nifty little gun. But I may CC it a few times just to try and understand how it feels to do so. It seems like an experience that might be worthwhile for me as an open minded gun owner. If that makes any sense. In general, my life doesn't really require doing CC these days. I live in a pretty mellow small city and I don't tend to be anywhere where the most common crimes that CC could protect against frequently happen. And half the time I'm taking the kids to a school function or stopping in the brewpub or doing any one of a number of things where I'd either have to deal with storage/safety of a gun that I needed to take off, or I would have to break the law (or be a jerk) to continue wearing. Neither of which are particularly acceptable to me given the staggeringly low risk level that my daily life sees.

I'm generally against open carry in any sort of a "civilization" setting. I think it's tactically questionable and at the very least, does far more harm than good to the cause of 2A and CC itself. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure. But open carry in starbucks doesn't make anyone say "oh look at those good patriots being normal folks" unless they were already inclined to feel that way. It just freaks out the anti gunners and makes the on-the-fence people think to themselves "Why do pro gun people have to be such jerks to everyone?". There are a lot of issues in the USA where people would be a lot more open and understanding about something that they don't identify with if you aren't shoving it in their faces.

Now, open carry in a rural setting or in the woods, I have no general issue with and it can serve both a tactical and practical purpose. There's no easy way to get a gun out from inside your waders if you need it. But even then, the few times I've been open carrying and met other people on the trail or river, I've tried to make the extra effort to be friendly and relaxed in case they weren't used to seeing a weapon on someone's hip/chest.
There are a few of us WAites here. How about an intro post over in New Members? (Unsubtle hint.)
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

HereInWA wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:There are a few of us WAites here. How about an intro post over in New Members? (Unsubtle hint.)
Hint taken. Intro post made.
:thumbup:
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Don't carry, don't have a permit. I'll likely get a permit soon, "just in case", since I'm in PA and it's not too bad to acquire. But even with it, it'll just make it easier to travel if I decide to take some guns elsewhere to plink, clean, etc. Two reasons I won't carry. 1 - I'm simply not trained enough, and can't be bothered to learn right now. 2 - Frankly don't feel the need.

Also, I have enough trouble carrying a wallet, keys, and my phone. Can't see adding anything else to the mix.

Great thread!

As I prepare to upgrade into a home defense capable handgun (G22 or Springfield XD .40), I have been thinking a lot about this. I currently have .22 rimfire pistol that is a fun practice and plinking friend.

I can't say that I feel the need to carry regularly at this time. Here in CA you can carry if you are hunting, so when i hunt, i plan to carry a sidearm because I can. (Then afterward put it back into the locked container..etc..)

I took a basic handgun class recently and the impression I got is that making the choice to carry on a daily basis is a BIG commitment in time, money, and training. It seems to be an all encompassing lifestyle choice that changes everything once you strap that piece on or put it into the safe next to your bed. I am not ready for it at this time.

The practice of using a handgun is an intriguing subject to me. Fortunately, I am a short drive from a club that offers a very fine program of classes to get ready for a CCW and home defense, if that becomes a choice I might need to exercise in the future. Somehow I feel obligated to know as much as I can, Since the gun safe isn't really that far away and neither is the ammo.
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Don't know how many here have been mugged before or had a gun pointed at them in a robbery.

I have experienced both. In both instances I really didn't fear for my life, though I admit that may have been out of pure ignorance. In both cases, everyone walked away from the encounter. In one, the local law enforcement actually caught the double-attackers within blocks of where I was mugged and I saw for the first time they were bare-footed kids!

Reflecting back on both experiences, especially the one where I was looking down the muzzle of cheap a revolver, I really didn't feel the desire to kill anyone in defense of the money that was in my wallet or the papers that identified me while I was traveling. (Yes, I was in another country in both instances.)

This informs me on my choice whether to carry or not here in my own state.

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to shoot someone, -it's that simple. Money isn't that important in relation to my life or someone else's regardless of how misguided they are in attacking me.

The threat of being shot if I didn't hand over my money is not the same as knowing I will be shot. I don't know why the distinction is so strong for me because having the muzzle of a gun pointed at my chest is clearly an exhilarating experience. Maybe it's in the eye's of the one holding the gun, his intentions.

In any case I realize that in both my instances, were I carrying a gun, someone probably would have ended up being shot. That's because in both instances I was thoroughly searched. How can anyone that's carrying allow an attacker to make off with his/her loaded gun without trying to prevent that by pulling it out and upping the ante as it were?

This is a catch-22 situation that I've not heard discussed in gun forums but have heard statistical studies done on this which supports the idea that if a gun is introduced into any conflict, the likelihood of a shooting spikes exponentially. That, more than anything, supports the idea of Gun Control.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi