Re: NJ woman gets the hell beaten ouf of her by home invader

We have several dogs. Even the little rat terrier is scary when she gets pissed off, and is our main alarm as to someone around the house. She may not be able to do much, but a distraction is a distraction, and that is all it takes sometimes. A medium dog that has been trained to not attack but not to trust is ideal. Big dog bark, big size in the eyes of an attacker, and willing to chip in during a real fight. German Shepperd, Rottweiler, Doberman and other dogs of that type are specialty dogs that I do not recommend unless you really know what you are doing, and have the time and space for them. The best dogs? Mutts from the pound. You saved their life, and they know it somehow.

Any civilized person would be sickened and enraged by that video. Obviously I wish she'd have been armed but it's equally obvious that her lock was garbage! It's surprising just how little knowledge the average person has about locks and security. Quite a few people have decent locks but don't realize that all the hardware may be attached by 3/4" screws! Some of you here may be in the same boat without realizing it. In a great many homes the strike plate (the little metal part that the deadbolt is lodged in) is attached only to the door jamb, not the door frame. This is pretty significant and an Epic Security Fail. You really MUST reinforce the door jamb and the strike plate needs more than a few short screws connecting it to a flimsy piece of wood. At a minimum, use 3" deck screws and run them all the way into the door frame. This isn't perfect but it at least resist a few determined kicks.

Something like this door armor kit can make it all but impossible for a person, even a large and strong man, to kick a door in. The cost is much lower than the price of a firearm and it's more effective; as has been pointed out, unless the woman had been wearing the gun she'd have had no time to retrieve it. A good door/lock combo would have given her plenty of time to arm herself, and maybe it would have totally prevented the intruder from getting in.
"Guns themselves are fairly robust; their chief enemies are rust and politicians." Geoffrey Boothroyd

shinzen wrote:This. There were several breaks in the beating where even if she had gotten caught with the first couple of hits, when he went out of the room she could have gone for a well placed gun and ended the situation. Only if she had trained and prepared and had it within reach though.
With a toddler in the house, though, that could be problematic. Rapid access and kid-proof security are largely mutually exclusive.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

DispositionMatrix wrote:
Greengunner wrote:It was because I believed that tougher regulation would curb urban gun crime.
People with such beliefs are the true believers, which do not include those leading the charge.
Greengunner wrote:I'm willing to bet that the majority of anti gun liberals believe the same.
I am willing to disagree, but in any case, that would put them in the category of the uninformed.
And what do you think motivates the average anti gun liberal if not a perhaps misguided belief that tighter regulation will decrease gun crime?

I’m also curious how many others here have held evolving positions on gun control. If you were anti gun in the past, what were your reasons?
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Anyone thinking that she could have found, reached and used a gun during the sequence that we see is completely out of touch with reality. With the beating that she was receiving, the gun would more likely be taken away and used against her than actually used by her.
After she gets thrown in and locked in a room (stairs?) maybe she could have accessed a weapon, but during the beating? No way.

Greengunner wrote: And what do you think motivates the average anti gun liberal if not a perhaps misguided belief that tighter regulation will decrease gun crime?

I’m also curious how many others here have held evolving positions on gun control. If you were anti gun in the past, what were your reasons?
As to the first question, I think it's a combination of fear leading to hatred of the object, overlain with contempt for their stereotype of gun owners. The AWB hysteria is the smoking gun (pun intended). No matter how you slice it black (or green or brown or pink) semi autos are not major players in gun crime. Yet those are the antis' targets of opportunity. Crime involving guns is more an opportunity to impose a preferred policy than an impetus to find a real solution to a problem.

As to the second question, I was never an anti. I was, at one time, pretty ambivalent about guns and virulently anti-NRA. Now I'm much more supportive of firearms and ambivalent about the NRA.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

Awake wrote:Anyone thinking that she could have found, reached and used a gun during the sequence that we see is completely out of touch with reality. With the beating that she was receiving, the gun would more likely be taken away and used against her than actually used by her.
After she gets thrown in and locked in a room (stairs?) maybe she could have accessed a weapon, but during the beating? No way.
It's unlikely, but depending on the gun's location, her training, and luck, it's far from impossible.

SwampGrouch wrote:
gdauth wrote:After all the motto is "To serve and protect". :sarcasm:
I didn't know Los Angles PD's motto had been adopted by all police agencies in the country! Or do you just watch too much television?

Speaking of television, the slogan reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode titled, "To Serve Man." If you haven't seen it, do.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

KlrDrvr wrote:As to the first question, I think it's a combination of fear leading to hatred of the object, overlain with contempt for their stereotype of gun owners.
I wonder how much of a correlation there is between opposition to firearms ownership and opposition to the death penalty?

Some things, like the Newtown Massacre, make us scream at the gut level for bloody revenge. Those who oppose the death penalty can't do that, but the neurotransmitters that make us as human animals want to kill the thing that harms our cubs are still pumping through their systems. Is the irrational anger at inanimate objects a way of redirecting that hormonal* rage? We can't tear the cub-killer apart, so we'll attack his weapon instead.

*Seems to this layman that the only difference between a hormone and a neurotransmitter is where it's active in the body, and they keep finding that the do double duty.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

KlrDrvr wrote:Speaking of television, the slogan reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode titled, "To Serve Man." If you haven't seen it, do.
A classic. Right up there with "Specialty of the House" on Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

KlrDrvr wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:
gdauth wrote:After all the motto is "To serve and protect". :sarcasm:
I didn't know Los Angles PD's motto had been adopted by all police agencies in the country! Or do you just watch too much television?

Speaking of television, the slogan reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode titled, "To Serve Man." If you haven't seen it, do.
Bastard aliens stole my family recipes!!! :evil:

Actually I think the LAPD motto is "To Protect (our own asses against the general public) and to Serve (no-knock warrants and kill family pets in the process) "
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

"What about zombies?"

"Oh yeah - well, forget what I just said."

Updated to $20,000 reward for info leading to capture. I'd pay big bucks "if I had it" to see this scum in handcuffs. It seems he knew what he was walking into, probably been watching long enough to know the habits of the household. Yes a dog or some kind of obvious deterrent would make a criminal choose another house. An appropriate punishment system would help I think. He'll get caught, go to jail, get tougher in jail, eat, drink and sleep a lot, get out and murder his next victim. What a country. If they tie him to a telephone pole in the neighborhood he terrorized, gave the public a crack at him and put that on you tube, a lot can be accomplished and good example can be made.

I'll bet the family's now considering new plans for home defense. Nice one that they got the fuck on camera, they'll find the fucker eventually, but it didn't prevent. He chose them.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Evidently you missed the "kicked-in the dead-bolted door" part of the news broadcast.
This wasn't a sneak-attack, and having breached doors for a living, it's not a one-shot deal - even with a battering ram.
As long as she reached for the gun first, she'd do far better than portrayed on TV.
You know, where she does the nurturer thing, as-scripted on Lifetime® Television for Women™.
Instead confronting the home invader, she herds the child/ren away (go play in your room mommy has to talk to the man), and then get's brutally beaten and shot with her own gun.
Awake wrote:Anyone thinking that she could have found, reached and used a gun during the sequence that we see is completely out of touch with reality. With the beating that she was receiving, the gun would more likely be taken away and used against her than actually used by her.
A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything.

Greengunner wrote:I’m also curious how many others here have held evolving positions on gun control. If you were anti gun in the past, what were your reasons?
I've never been anti-gun, just never really had the 'need'/inclination/$$$ to own my own and didn't really know the ins and outs of IL law aside from the 'need a FOID card to play' part. Never bothered to drop the $35 and wait 6-8 months to get one.

My wife grew up with hunting rifles in the house that were never locked up. Canada is a different place. She was a 'never in my house' type Liberal and since we were living in IL, I didn't really argue.

Moved to MO in 2007 into a 'not great' section of St Louis called 'North County'. Every time we heard a gun shot anywhere nearby we'd duck. Fear was palpable. Then we were broken into Dec 2010. They took our TV, Wii and sense of security.

Spent the next six months learning about Federal gun laws and the 2-3 laws here in MO. By May I was a member of an indoor range that rented guns and by July we had a family membership to the same range. Reinforced the back door with longer screws in 1/3rd of the hinge joins into the wall and the knob is braced with a Masterlock door jammer. All windows are wedged shut on the inside and locked.

I see UBC as an unnecessary increase in scope of the Commerce Clause, nothing more. Without some sort of registry or a LOT more boots on the ground running sting operations against private sellers I see no changes to violence levels, much like the near plateau of violent crime from 1994-2004.

Now we have a P238 and an AR in our bedroom. Our son's room is outside the line of fire if anyone was coming up the hallway from either the back or front doors. If someone comes down that hallway after we warn them that 911 is on the phone, neither of us would hesitate as that means that they mean to do us harm.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

SwampGrouch wrote:
KlrDrvr wrote:As to the first question, I think it's a combination of fear leading to hatred of the object, overlain with contempt for their stereotype of gun owners.
I wonder how much of a correlation there is between opposition to firearms ownership and opposition to the death penalty?

Some things, like the Newtown Massacre, make us scream at the gut level for bloody revenge. Those who oppose the death penalty can't do that, but the neurotransmitters that make us as human animals want to kill the thing that harms our cubs are still pumping through their systems. Is the irrational anger at inanimate objects a way of redirecting that hormonal* rage? We can't tear the cub-killer apart, so we'll attack his weapon instead.

*Seems to this layman that the only difference between a hormone and a neurotransmitter is where it's active in the body, and they keep finding that the do double duty.
I still oppose the death penalty. Someone coming into my house or anywhere I have a legal reason to be and threatening my family is not receiving the death penalty, they are committing suicide.

I am a civilized meat eating viking gunfighter. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:

I still oppose the death penalty. Someone coming into my house or anywhere I have a legal reason to be and threatening my family is not receiving the death penalty, they are committing suicide.

I am a civilized meat eating viking gunfighter. ;)
Not speaking in favor of capital punishment, just wondering about the mechanism that makes otherwise mellow people go berserk on inanimate objects.

SwampGrouch wrote:Some things, like the Newtown Massacre, make us scream at the gut level for bloody revenge. Those who oppose the death penalty can't do that, but the neurotransmitters that make us as human animals want to kill the thing that harms our cubs are still pumping through their systems. Is the irrational anger at inanimate objects a way of redirecting that hormonal* rage? We can't tear the cub-killer apart, so we'll attack his weapon instead.
I think this is a big part of it. Not only can we not tear the cub-killer apart if we oppose capital punishment, we can't tear him apart if he offs himself first (as the Newtown shooter did) or raises a NGMI* defense (a la the Tucson and Aurora shooters). So we go for the one thing we think we can go after - the evil black rifle.

*Not Guilty by Reason of Mental Illness (what the insanity defense is called in my state)
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)

Convict sentenced. He had been acquitted of attempted murder but convicted of aggravated assault and robbery. Life + 5.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shawn-custi ... nanny-cam/
NEWARK, N.J. -- A New Jersey man convicted of beating a mother in a brutal home invasion caught on a nanny cam has been sentenced to life in prison plus five years.

Shawn Custis was convicted June 1 of aggravated assault, robbery and other crimes for the 2013 attack in Millburn.
At Wednesday's sentencing, the judge called Custis "vicious, depraved and evil."
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Greengunner wrote:
DispositionMatrix wrote:
Greengunner wrote:It was because I believed that tougher regulation would curb urban gun crime.
People with such beliefs are the true believers, which do not include those leading the charge.
Greengunner wrote:I'm willing to bet that the majority of anti gun liberals believe the same.
I am willing to disagree, but in any case, that would put them in the category of the uninformed.
And what do you think motivates the average anti gun liberal if not a perhaps misguided belief that tighter regulation will decrease gun crime?

I was never a strict "anti", but I have always held progressive views on social issues that ran counter to what the right wing promoted. So I thought I should be against guns in the same way I initially thought I should believe in God when I was sent to Catholic schools as a young child. In the latter case I started thinking for myself and declared myself an atheist in spite of the religious dogma that surrounded me. I initially purchased my first 2 firearms purely for self protection when I lived in a shady apartment complex in a rapidly declining part of town. Then I started practicing how to shoot them. As my interest grew, and I became more and more educated about firearms, I realized I wasn't buying a lot of what the gun control folks were saying.