Re: Who wants to talk to the media?

don1960lp wrote:
ErikO wrote:Got my first contact and sent a smallish wall of text his way. ;)
Same here. Will be calling him tomorrow.
Good deal. He may just get the idea that lefty gun owners are as diverse in opinion as lefties are on most subjects. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Fukshot wrote:I highly recommend googling any journalist you intend to speak to. Read a couple of their articles. Don't respond to their previous work when you talk to them, but it gives you an idea of who you are talking to.
Good idea for sure.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Jammersix wrote:Purely as curiosity, why the hell would any of you want to talk to a journalist?

And when the hook up comes from this board, doesn't that make whoever it is our spokesman, at least in appearance?
Because the public discourse on the subject is currently made of stupid and some of us would like to change that.

We are very clear in describing ourselves as members of the club, but not spokespeople for the views of other club members without specific consent, like you'd expect from liberals.

Fukshot wrote:
Jammersix wrote:Purely as curiosity, why the hell would any of you want to talk to a journalist?

And when the hook up comes from this board, doesn't that make whoever it is our spokesman, at least in appearance?
Because the public discourse on the subject is currently made of stupid and some of us would like to change that.

We are very clear in describing ourselves as members of the club, but not spokespeople for the views of other club members without specific consent, like you'd expect from liberals.
The only statement I will ever make as Director of Merchandising is that the swag is as close to 100% American made as possible. Everything else I say is just my opinion; not any more or less valid than anyone else's - sometimes more logical but not always. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Just spent 30 minutes chatting with Bryan and it went down real smooth. He asked a lot of very pointed questions based on the info I emailed him - mostly about the fact that as recent as a month ago I was 100% anti-gun and have since done an almost complete 180.

Depending on how his future conversations go down he may call back with follow up questions. I didn't get that he's anti-gun at all. I think he's more anti-ignorance on the subject of 2A and guns in general.

No worries with this guy IMO. :thumbup:

Just finished the call with Bryan. He's a very nice guy, and I don't see an agenda with him beyond finding out what liberal gun owners think.

He asked very good questions, and one was what I thought an alternative to fearing guns would look like. I said we should have .22 rifle and pistol competition teams starting freshman year in high school, just like football and baseball teams. I emphasized safety and education about guns, mentioning Cooper's rules at least twice. I said if kids learn gun safety early on, such as myself who learned when I was eight, we'd grow up to be responsible gun owners.

I said the "fear guns" meme is obsolete, and it will be replaced by the new meme that "shooting stuff is fun." But I also said that a legitimate concern exists with guns, which is that they can deal death at a distance--which allowed me again to mention Cooper's rules, that we should know our target and what's behind it. This allowed me to say that "if we follow these four rules, shooting stuff is fun."

I mentioned Justice Thomas' point in McDonald, a point the other justices did not concur on, that the RKBA is a privilege of American citizenship. Now, the Due Process clause of the Fifth talks about "persons," but Thomas used the P or I clause of the 14th to talk about "citizens."

He asked about criminals and back ground checks. I told him about California, that every purchase even at a gun show must go through an FFL, yet that does not stop straw purchases, which are illegal, does not stop the use of fake ID's, which is illegal, and so on. He had asked whether "universal back ground checks" would be something I would support. I said that only law abiding citizens pay attention to laws, that laws are designed to punish after the fact.

I did talk about a "prohibited persons list" against which gun purchases could be measured. Folks on that list would be terrorists, folks adjudicated to be mentally dangerous with respect to guns, and violent convicted felons--not non violent felons, violent felons. After all, when congress critters like Duke Cunningham get out of prison, it's likely they'll need to protect themselves. So, instead of a universal back ground check, I suggested that potential gun buyers would be checked against that "prohibited persons" list, folks who are known to be persons we don't want to own guns.

I enjoyed talking with him, and, like a good reporter, he asked whether he could call back if he had any other questions. I said, "Sure, that's fine. It was fun to talk with you."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I've traded a couple of emails with him. He asked my opinion of the AK build piece and I was unsurprised to find out that the editors at MJ 'suggested' that he destroy the Evil Commie Rifle he built. ;)

Man, now I REALLY want to build another AR out of an 80% lower...

Well, I put in my info. Does being an administrator here on the board allow me to speak for the LGC?

Press Dude/ette: And what do you most want to see when it comes to being a liberal firearm activist?

Me: The LGC's goals are as follows: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you us, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Just had a good conversation with him. I didn't see it mentioned above, so I did ask him what the purpose of his article was- i.e. why was he writing it. He said that one of the drivers was the small percentage of gun owners that are NRA members, so he was seeking alternate viewpoints. It was useful to have statistics on the brain (Or maybe I just like them too much) as we were able to talk through some of the actual numbers. Seems like a good dude from the conversation.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou