Re: people wonder why things are so bad

I was going to argue with you, but your logic is irrefutable.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Eh, I gave up on fancy beers a while back. I only drink em if it's hot out and I'm in the desert. In that situation, a stout or IPA would suck. So you can just blame my natty ice drinkin ass for the downfall of uhmerca. I also drink more Bartle's & James than I do beer. Bet you didn't even know those were still around.

I do mix a mean sidecar, though.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

eelj wrote:I don't like my lagers ice cold bu I do know why the Brits drink their ales warm, Lucas makes their refrigerators. Lets see if anybody here has ever owned a classic British marque motorcycle.
Almost owned a Vincent Black Shadow (on sale for 50 pounds, I only had 30...) but introduction to Lucas was an Austin A35... I grew up in the UK, although I'm 'Murkan by birth. Love warm beer - Bourne Valley Brewery used to do a Real Ale bitter with no caramel - superb!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Some brews are good served warm. I used to pack a couple of bottles of Guinness back in my hiking days. Nowadays I am likely to drink beer on the rocks, particularly lagers. Freaked out the kids next to me at the bar during the NCAA Finals when they saw me drinking beer on the rocks.

"Is that ice?" :roflmao:
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

I remember when the only wine in grocery stores was Gallo jugs, Blue Nun and maybe chianti or manischewitz. Now all Californians are wine snobs.

My dad drank Hamms and PBR back in the 70s.

I guess what I'm saying, is that Americans aren't that discriminating in their booze. Prohibition probably got us used to bathtub gin a rotgut...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Haters gonna hate. CDL (Cheap Domestic Light) is how I stay hydrated through the ridiculous summers here.

Beer is regional and seasonal. As much as I love them, an IPA by the marina pool in summer is a really bad idea.

I guess cheap beer in summer is my junk food fix.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

American Light Lager serves its purpose, and it isn't evil ...

I generally brew my own, and my house brew is a low-point American variation on an English Bitter (American because I don't jazz it up with darker malts and crystals, but keep it mostly pale 2-row, and thus it's lighter than your average bitter).

That said, I often supplement (especially this winter, when brewing was oft-delayed because of the weather), and those supplements vary depending on weather and mood. I'm currently on a Genny Cream Ale kick, and that's not too far off your average light lager ... and I'll PBR it when it gets warmer.

Corn and rice adjuncts (primarily corn) are American signatures, by the way, because we have them--they aren't traditional European crops, and thus never found their way into traditional European brewing. Regional brews in Europe often varied, traditionally, based on available grains as well. The Reinheitsgebot is not the last word, and never was outside a small region.

The only sin that the American Light Lager commits, is being too pedestrian--which is a side effect of immense popularity.

One thing I love about the Portland area is the microbrew culture and the awesome local breweries where you can fill growlers (like these big 64oz containers) from the tap and it's like having a cheap mini keg. And with the spreading beer culture you can take growlers to get filled across the US... Except California.

There was this awesome looking stainless steel growler I was going to get and I was all excited about the prospects of filling it with local breweries in SoCal... Only to find that it's illegal to do so in this state. Wtf California, really? It counts as a "container" so it has all these legal labeling requirements? I don't remember kegs having that.

I've been grumbling over this literally all week. Stupid frickin anti-beer nanny state california...
"These are hard times, NOT end times!"
- Jon Stewart, Rally to Restore Sanity

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.