New LGC Blog Post up

Talk about anything you like but keep it civil. This is a public forum, the views and opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the LGC.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

SmokeFan

New LGC Blog Post up

#1 Post by SmokeFan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 am

In keeping with our desire to update content on the club website, here is a new blog post, written by yours truly: http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/2014/0 ... commandos/

Feel free to discuss here.
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)

shinzen
Site Admin

Re: New LGC Blog Post up

#2 Post by shinzen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 am

Shared on FB. Good post- it's really important to point out the wisdom of doing something vs the right to do something. Just because I can drink drain-o doesn't mean I should. Actions have consequences.

SwampGrouch
Carpal Tunnel

#3 Post by SwampGrouch » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 am

Nice!
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Inquisitor
Site Admin

#4 Post by Inquisitor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 am

I shared it via the page last night :)

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by Fukshot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 am

Nice!

bigstones
Loquacious

#6 Post by bigstones » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 am

Well written and apt analogy. I had no idea you spoke so many languages. I had to look up some of the words. I especially liked the gratuitous shot at Hobby Lobby.

The problem with open carry as I see it is this. If you carry unloaded, you are just inviting someone to come up to you and take you gun away from you, while you struggle to load it. If you carry loaded you are inviting someone to shoot you with your own gun. I can't remember the statistics but a significant number of police officers killed in the line of duty are shot with their own weapons.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by senorgrand » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 am

Nice!

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

KnightsFan
Loquacious

#8 Post by KnightsFan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 pm

You've got a hell of a voice in your writing. :thumbup:

Though I thought the proper title of Tim Howard was Him of the Awehands, defender of the net and Lord sovereign of the ball Secretary Tim Howard?
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by TrueTexan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Great post.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

Wino
Loquacious

#10 Post by Wino » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Nice. Good to read a post regarding Target that wasn't asking for a boycott because the idiot misconstrued what Target said about guns. I don't shop at Target, but may start - but I'll be paying cash, not by credit card. :lol:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

swissdog
Chatty

#11 Post by swissdog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Wino wrote:Nice. Good to read a post regarding Target that wasn't asking for a boycott because the idiot misconstrued what Target said about guns. I don't shop at Target, but may start - but I'll be paying cash, not by credit card. :lol:
At this point they're probably the MOST careful with CC info. Nothing instills a lesson quite as effectively as horrible injury.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by CDFingers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Yes: very enjoyable read with a good voice. What I like most about it is how it took a current thing from the World Cup and showed how some fools make all gun owners look bad. Nicely done!

CDFingers
ImageImage
We used to play for silver, now we play for life.
One's for sport and one's for blood at the point of a knife.

SmokeFan

#13 Post by SmokeFan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 pm

CDFingers wrote:Yes: very enjoyable read with a good voice. What I like most about it is how it took a current thing from the World Cup and showed how some fools make all gun owners look bad. Nicely done!

CDFingers
I really can't take credit for the own-goal thing. I'm pretty sure it was a comment on TTAG, but I thought it was great so I stole it.
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by CDFingers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

SmokeFan wrote:
CDFingers wrote:Yes: very enjoyable read with a good voice. What I like most about it is how it took a current thing from the World Cup and showed how some fools make all gun owners look bad. Nicely done!

CDFingers
I really can't take credit for the own-goal thing. I'm pretty sure it was a comment on TTAG, but I thought it was great so I stole it.
Good writers paraphrase, great writers steal.

CDFingers
ImageImage

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#15 Post by ErikO » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 am

The problem with OCT is one of perception. There is some misguided belief that Texas is gun friendly. OCT is proving that false due to not being able to openly carry modern pistols and handguns. Have they resulted in any new 30-06 signs going up? Not that I have heard. Then again, I know that I am wrong on this issue due to being told I am so often.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Ewok
Been around awhile

#16 Post by Ewok » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 am

Slight typo/style issue: 'but a bunch of dudes in camo come in with AR’s at low ready....'
Apostrophes are never, ever, used to pluralize nouns.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#17 Post by CDFingers » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:41 am

Ewok wrote:Slight typo/style issue: 'but a bunch of dudes in camo come in with AR’s at low ready....'
Oakland A's. Apostrophes are used when the noun is a letter or collection thereof.

CDFingers
ImageImage

Ewok
Been around awhile

#18 Post by Ewok » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 pm

CDFingers wrote:
Ewok wrote:Slight typo/style issue: 'but a bunch of dudes in camo come in with AR’s at low ready....'
Oakland A's. Apostrophes are used when the noun is a letter or collection thereof.

CDFingers
Some of the older style guides might even have said to use the apostrophe that way, but current style is no apostrophe. Here's a variation saying that the apostrophe should be used for a single letter (I got all A's this semester), but not two letters: http://thegrammarvandal.wordpress.com/2 ... akland-as/

Elmo

#19 Post by Elmo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:02 pm

This argument over apostrophes is getting heated. It's a good thing we're not packing ARs! (or AR's)

Great post, SmokeFan! You have a engaging, punchy style well suited to this medium. I suspect you didn't learn to write like that in law school.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

TheViking
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by TheViking » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 pm

I like it! Although all the Common Sense will probably bead off the teflon coated brains of fundies on both sides of the discussion...
Image Image

christianne
Chatty

#21 Post by christianne » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Bravo!! Bravo!! :clap: :clap:

One thing I have to say that I have been seeing on Facebook quite a bit is that the other side is also tired of these OCT ass hats. They are just as tired of them as we are. I admittedly follow a few of the more right-sided gun pages on Facebook, but only to increase my knowledge about firearms and about changes to the laws. I am free to read them and decide if I come to my own conclusions, and they may differ or be the same as theirs. But at least I can state that I am not a sheeple when it comes to the rhetoric.

And groups on FB have had it with these numbskulls. They are getting bounced out of gun clubs and ranges left and right. No one wants them around. No one sees them as being an asset except themselves. If you want to bring attention to the fact that you can OC your rifle, do so in a respectful way, and do it in a way that doesn't make the soccer moms who don't understand guns feel like they are going to have to hit the deck at any moment.

I hope that someone reigns these fools in soon. Unfortunately, they all look to be young'uns and they aren't going to be easy to sway back into the common sense column. Awesome job Smokefan.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

workinstiff
Verified Member
Verified Member

#22 Post by workinstiff » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Well written!

The OC twits here in California produced negative results.

It seems that even in Texas the OC twits can produce negative results.

The "own goal" description sums it up.

The goal of normalizing open carry is a goal I'm ok with, though I really don't need to tote a semi-auto rifle to get a latte or a pair of socks. It's just the wrong way to go about it. Beavis and Butthead, cammo clad, uh hu uh hu uh hu I gotta gun, showing up at Starbucks? With all of the tragic news about mass shootings? I'm comfortable with guns but this scenario is so far from normal that I would get the hell out of there.

They are idiots. Sincere, probably they are grinning like a 12 year old acting out, but I do give them credit for sincerity. But idiots nonetheless. They are trying to normalize open carry by scaring the crap out of people?

Ok, do something provocative to produce a reaction. But think it through, creating a reaction may backfire on you.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

fknauss
Loquacious

#23 Post by fknauss » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Expression I heard over the weekend: "Carry Queens".

I'm not sure how I feel about possible slights of other types of queens, but I'm sure the people doing the carrying will react the way I want if I call them that.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!