Re: 1st Case of Ebola in the US Confirmed by CDC

It would be really easy to contain this if they just shut down restaurants, retail, and other F2F stuff in Texas for a week or two.

But then special friend businesses might feel uncertain (gasp!) if they couldn't profit as much from their serfs so I guess that's out.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

SmokeFan wrote:Eh. Xela's been posting on FB, thus far he is still alive and seems remarkably unconcerned about having an Ebola patient in his backyard. :laugh:
Yep, the hospital ("Presbyterian", "Presby") is next door to me. In fact, I had been there that same Monday morning for a dr. appointment.

I live in a very vibrant immigrant community, I wouldn't be surprised if the patient was living/staying in my neighborhood.

I took the pictures (of me riding around and thru the hospital on my bike) down 'cause a lot of people didn't get the message. But I may put them back up later for posterity.

Move along people, nothing to see....

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

I know there will be the OMG from the less informed or misinformed population in Texas. Maybe it can be worked to our advantage. Start a rumor, if your going to vote in the election there is a good chance you can catch Ebola so stay away from the polls. Get that on Faux News and Rush Limpball all the Rightwing TeaParty/Republicans will stay home. Make it even better tell them it is the illegal Immigrants Obama is paying to vote that has the Ebola. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Evo1 wrote:
rolandson wrote:I think that the truly nice part of all of this, if the CDC reporting is correct, is that the affected patient presented with symptoms at a clinic 4 days after arriving in the states and was sent home, apparently without being tested despite having informed all concerned that they had just traveled from West Africa...went back two days later and was sent home again, sans tests...went back again after another two days and was placed in isolation...and tested!

Somebody obviously didn't get the memo.
Yeah, makes you wonder how many people were exposed over that week...
This is what happens when you teach creationism and not science... lol.
HAHAHAHA
Yee received 287,590 votes.
http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... eland-yee/

Yee/Shrimpboy 2016!
Hip Hop To that.

jubjub wrote:
Evo1 wrote:
rolandson wrote:I think that the truly nice part of all of this, if the CDC reporting is correct, is that the affected patient presented with symptoms at a clinic 4 days after arriving in the states and was sent home, apparently without being tested despite having informed all concerned that they had just traveled from West Africa...went back two days later and was sent home again, sans tests...went back again after another two days and was placed in isolation...and tested!

Watched the press conference with Gov. Goodhair and the other bigwigs. Seems it was the clinician that saw the patient in the ER screwed up. There is a protocol for suspected cases of Ebola. The nurses followed the protocol with the questions and placing the patient in isolation. The doctor did not follow the protocol per the administration at Presbyterian.

Having worked in ERs and seen what egotistical SOBs some doctors can be, I'm a DOCTOR I'm smarter than anybody else. I don't have to follow protocol. I can understand how this can happen, having gone nose to nose with doctors that would not follow the procedure manual.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:
jubjub wrote:
Evo1 wrote:

Watched the press conference with Gov. Goodhair and the other bigwigs. Seems it was the clinician that saw the patient in the ER screwed up. There is a protocol for suspected cases of Ebola. The nurses followed the protocol with the questions and placing the patient in isolation. The doctor did not follow the protocol per the administration at Presbyterian.

Having worked in ERs and seen what egotistical SOBs some doctors can be, I'm a DOCTOR I'm smarter than anybody else. I don't have to follow protocol. I can understand how this can happen, having gone nose to nose with doctors that would not follow the procedure manual.
His license to practice should be pulled.
HAHAHAHA
Yee received 287,590 votes.
http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... eland-yee/

Yee/Shrimpboy 2016!
Hip Hop To that.

judgepacker wrote:The evolutionary biologist in me watches this with sick, sick, fascination. To put this into context, I feel cheated every time a gigantic space rock misses us. If the end of the world is coming, I hope it's while I'm still alive so I don't miss anything.
Space rock would indeed be one hell of a show, bleeding from every orifice as I dehydrate into oblivion is something I would rather avoid. I mean seriously, wheres's the show in that?

I want very much to believe the CDC and their claims of invincibility... all while trying very hard not to remember the definition of hubris.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

cmd wrote:Look if you see someone bleeding from the eyes, just don't fuck them, share from a common bowl while eating with your hands, or wash their dead body.

If you are going to die in a plague, it will be a flu variant. And by the way, that is not that unlikely. :drunklep:

Unless you want to consider resistant hospital infections a "plague" in which case it's already one of the more common ways to die.
Get your flu shot- statistically influenza is much more likely to kill you.
At the same time a human infected with ebola does not manifest symptoms for a few weeks. In that time he/she can infect other people. Though again it has to be some kind of fluid contact which makes it very hard for the virus to spread.
The rate of infection in Africa has risen very slowly compared to a flu or other airborne virus. Most infections take place because there is no government infrastructure in place to take care of the sick or dispose of infected corpses. So the families of infected people have to take care of them and bury the bodies themselves.
Of course the right wing loudmouths in the U.S.A. already have a solution to curbing an outbreak- impeach the president. :roll:
"... the rich rob the poor under the cover of law. We plunder the rich under the cover of our own courage." - Captain " Black Sam" Bellamy ( executed for piracy, 1717).

At least the CDC is taking this seriously, 4 other people have been quarantined (no symptoms yet) and many others are being monitored.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-officials-8 ... nance.html

In some defense of the doctors, Ebola is very easily (and commonly) misdiagnosed because early on it's indistinguishable from Malaria, which is far more likely and common from people visiting Africa. Unfortunately our crappy healthcare system provides an unnecessary obstacle where the tests for Ebola can be expensive (especially as samples are treated as a high biohazard risk) and insurance companies are not likely to sign off on them until it gets worse.

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure they can't detect it in the incubation stages when the virus is dormant, which is why the CDC is preemptively quarantining contacts to wait for symptoms instead of just testing them.

Also the health risk shouldn't be dismissed. It's not like you can only get it if someone bleeding from their eyes vomits on you. Most bleeding is internal and the person just seems to have a fever. It can be transmitted through saliva and sweat contacted directly or indirectly via an object. More scary is that we're not 100% certain on all the ways it can transfer. Even if the patient survives the virus may be transmitted sexually for a few months following.

Part of why outbreaks are so bad in Africa comes down to local burial customs, where friends and family treat the bodies with bare hands (removing food and waste still inside). The people are already suspicious of US doctors and of their own governments, so too many ignore the recommendations and try to do their customary burial ceremonies anyway.

Luckily we don't have people in the US that are anti-science and deeply suspicious of the government, right?

.... Right? :?

Ah crap.
"These are hard times, NOT end times!"
- Jon Stewart, Rally to Restore Sanity

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Not that it makes any difference; but, I'm a bit confused on details in this story. As I understand he was infected most likely by an ebola victim who had sought entry to a hospital but was denied admittance. At that point Duncan brought her back to her home where she later died. Is Duncan a citizen or resident alien of the United States or just a tourist? After his contact with the deceased at what point did he decide to travel overseas or return home? Did he suspect he was infected? I'm not sure what to make of this except that this time ebola is leaving it's home turf for the world at large.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

No defense for the first Doctor, did not follow the protocol. Had the doctor followed protocol and asked the patient have you traveled outside the U.S. and then asked have you been in west Africa the patient would have been held in isolation.

It has come to light the patient lied on a form in Liberia before leaving that asked the question if he had been around any sick people that might have Ebola. He answered no when had taken a sick woman to the hospital where she died of Ebola.

To catch Ebola according to CDC it has to be direct contact with body fluids. This does include saliva and sweat. Ebola does not survive very long outside of a host.

The CDC website
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/?mobile=nocontent

Tarrant County Public Health Website
http://tcweb.tarrantcounty.com/ehealth/ ... 93230&PM=1

judgepacker wrote:The evolutionary biologist in me watches this with sick, sick, fascination. To put this into context, I feel cheated every time a gigantic space rock misses us. If the end of the world is coming, I hope it's while I'm still alive so I don't miss anything.
You're not the only one. It is mutating at high rates since hitting the human population, even for an RNA virus. Even in hyper-evolution mode, it's unlikely that it will become a doomsday virus, but dangerous (for humans) mutations are not unheard of (Ebola Reston, SARS, HIV).

The ultimate snow day...