Re: Video: Gun Culture Forum at UCSC

They were supposed to tell me when the link went up! Thanks for posting this.

I have to say -- if you get the chance to do something similar, go for it! It was fun prepping for this, I got to meet interesting people, and had nothing but positive interactions with the staff and students. I expected to get a hard time from the UCSC students but didn't at all.
Aim past the target.

You done us proud Gator, I especially liked your wrap up and your gracious effort to invite new people to go shooting.

Hearing some of the Brady dude's arguments though, it was rather grating, much like fingernails on the chalk board. Can't believe I used to be like that too, but glad I moved on. But hopefully it's exchanges like this that help make non-gun folks stop and reflect a bit and get past the typical anti-2A talking points.

pdoggeth wrote:You done us proud Gator, I especially liked your wrap up and your gracious effort to invite new people to go shooting.

Hearing some of the Brady dude's arguments though, it was rather grating, much like fingernails on the chalk board. Can't believe I used to be like that too, but glad I moved on. But hopefully it's exchanges like this that help make non-gun folks stop and reflect a bit and get past the typical anti-2A talking points.
This was very soon after the Isla Vista "incident". So everyone was ready for some sort of emotional bloodbath. But that never happened. However, it seemed the Brady guy went in thinking purely emotional arguments would carry the day. It was almost like having a secret ally pitching the softball comments...

I handed out a bunch of LGC cards to students but none of them have contacted me or joined the forum that I know of. :(
Aim past the target.

Again, I thought Gator did an outstanding job, and the discussion really piqued my interest. Was Elliot Rodger, the Isla Vista killer really insane? I mean we rather assume that all mass murderers are insane but is this really accurate? I mean this guy was part of the 1% which meant he had the finest psychological care available. He had psychiatrists, psychologists, and even life coaches. Not one of them reported him as being insane. He certainly did not fit the legal definition of insanity. He was able to tell right from wrong. He knew what he was doing was wrong. So why do we consider him insane? Is it because most of us have never had the desire to commit mass murder? Look at the Holocaust; look at Rwanda -- good Christian people committing mass murder. From what I can glean from the literature one of the more prominent theories is that most mass murderers want to commit suicide but they want to do it in spectacular fashion hence the other deaths are window dressing for their own virtuoso performance. That sounds like sanity rather than insanity to me. The reason I ask these questions is that if it really is sanity then adding a few more doctors to the mental health ranks and strengthening reporting and gun control will have absolutely zero effect. Rather than stating a position, I am seeking discussion and opinions.

By the way there is a pretty good article here: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 13900.html

I can't get that vid at the link to load for me. Does anyone have another link?

bigstones, that article was interesting. A quote:
Gun control won't fix our problem. Neither will doctors.

And perhaps this is why the national conversation has immediately shifted to the pros and cons of gun control. Guns and death are easier to talk about than race or gender.
on edit, I found a link that loads for me, so if anyone has troubles with the OP link, here's another:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/10/gun-fac ... z3F5wOwBFa

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

senorgrand wrote:Gator68 did us proud. FS and I gave him a little prep...not that he needed it. But if one of you guys ends up doing something like this, we can try and help you prep.
Looks like the Brady guy needed your help.
"We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat."-River Tam

Now that I've finished it, yes: gator did us proud. That poor Brady guy really had no premises of note. I think gun laws even in California are relegate to nibbling 'round the edges. There are more important issues than gun law. But gun law is fun, I tells ya. Range trip in the morning to shoot my new (to me) .308 Garand--I did the greasing this evening.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:Did the vid just load and load and load and never play? If so, google the title in the first post and you'll get several options for the stream. I went through a couple until one worked. Best of luck.

CDFingers
Yes, I'll try the googling!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.