Re: goddam the taliban

CDFingers wrote: You have exposed the underlying Libertarian plank that is, unfortunately, accepted in America: discrimination and bigotry are just fine as long as someone makes money from it.

CDFingers
You're blaming us for the actions of the Taliban now?

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- The Last Words of Pancho Villa

It is of little surprise that the Feast Day of the Holy Innocents is three days after the Day of Christ's birth:
Jeremiah 31:15-17

Thus says the LORD:
A voice is heard in Ramah,
lamentation and bitter weeping.
Rachel is weeping for her children;
she refuses to be comforted for her children,
because they are no more.
Thus says the LORD:
Keep your voice from weeping,
and your eyes from tears;
for there is a reward for your work,
says the LORD:
they shall come back from the land of the enemy;
there is hope for your future,
says the LORD:
your children shall come back to their own country.
Some things never (sigh) change.

What... Religious fundamentalists commit a horrific massacre. Sorry, if my failure to be shocked by this disturbs some of you, but religious nutters have been murdering innocents since the beginning of time. The only difference this time is the death toll, which is very high, but the nutters have been practicing very hard as of late, and are getting rather proficient at mass murder. People can argue about the causes, being the actions of the US government, the Pakistani government, or the. Arduous imaginary friends these people may or may not be trying to impress. The fact remains that they have crossed the near universal line set forth by humanity governing human behavior. There is no coming back for them, however they will continue in their horrific ways for some time to come as the U.S. Lacks the will to do anything substantive, and the Pakistani's lack the ability. Seeing as they are the only two formidable powers in the area, expect to hear about this sort of thing for awhile.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

Coach wrote:
CDFingers wrote: You have exposed the underlying Libertarian plank that is, unfortunately, accepted in America: discrimination and bigotry are just fine as long as someone makes money from it.

CDFingers
You're blaming us for the actions of the Taliban now?
Golly, that's funny.

I show that an underlying and accepted Libertarian plank is that "discrimination and bigotry are fine as long as someone makes money from it."

In America, the so-called Libertarian Party ignores discrimination and bigotry. It has nothing to do with the Taliban and everything to do with the failings of that demonstrably deficient ideology.

Now, back to the real issue:

The civil war now raging in the Middle East is the result of oil hungry Western powers playing "let's you and him fight." The problem with fomenting such a war is that the cultures set upon each other with weapons of localized destruction both dream of martyrdom. And each is willing to help the other achieve it.

Most unfortunate.

"When setting out for revenge, first, dig two graves."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: The civil war now raging in the Middle East is the result of oil hungry Western powers playing "let's you and him fight." The problem with fomenting such a war is that the cultures set upon each other with weapons of localized destruction both dream of martyrdom. And each is willing to help the other achieve it.

Most unfortunate.

"When setting out for revenge, first, dig two graves."

CDFingers
Huh? Since when has Pakistan been part of the Middle East or a major player in oil?

Pakistan and Afghanistan were invented by colonial powers. The borders did not reflect tribal differences, as they were drawn to give the Allied Powers advantages in the oil market, among other reasons.

I agree that "The Middle East" is pretty ambiguous.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Pakistan and Afghanistan were invented by colonial powers. The borders did not reflect tribal differences, as they were drawn to give the Allied Powers advantages in the oil market, among other reasons.

I agree that "The Middle East" is pretty ambiguous.

CDFingers
The Pakistan/India division was a debacle in plenty of ways but I'm not aware of it being specifically about oil.

My point is that the issues here aren't really the classical "Middle East" Balfour/Arab clusterfuck but rather a whole other set of ideological stupidity, specifically the issues around the de-colonialization of India, the creation of Pakistan as a state and - most importantly - the subsequent cold war proxy nonsense and the attendant empowerment / arming of the major players.

The Marxist analysis that everything in history comes down to a narrative about access to resources (...and, by extension, the usual refrain on here that it's global corporations owning government and causing wars) ends up being simplistic as it ignores the free agency of the folks involved, the endemic tribal violence that predated the arrival of capitalism and the external factors of things like fallout/unintended consequences from external factors like cold war hijinks.

CDFingers wrote: Golly, that's funny.

I show that an underlying and accepted Libertarian plank is that "discrimination and bigotry are fine as long as someone makes money from it."

In America, the so-called Libertarian Party ignores discrimination and bigotry. It has nothing to do with the Taliban and everything to do with the failings of that demonstrably deficient ideology.

CDFingers
Not exactly:

"Libertarians embrace the concept that all people are born with certain inherent rights. We reject the idea that a natural right can ever impose an obligation upon others to fulfill that "right." We condemn bigotry as irrational and repugnant. Government should neither deny nor abridge any individual's human right based upon sex, wealth, ethnicity, creed, age, national origin, personal habits, political preference or sexual orientation. Members of private organizations retain their rights to set whatever standards of association they deem appropriate, and individuals are free to respond with ostracism, boycotts and other free market solutions. Parents, or other guardians, have the right to raise their children according to their own standards and beliefs. This statement shall not be construed to condone child abuse or neglect."
The Platform of the Libertarian Party

Glad I could clear this up for you.

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- The Last Words of Pancho Villa

Coach wrote:Glad I could clear this up for you.
Actually, my view of your view is clearer.

First, there was the fallacy of the Straw Man: me 'blaming' Libertarians for the Taliban. Then there is the difference between what is posted and what the 'platform' is. Searching 'libertarian bigotry profit' got me only six million hits. This reflects the difference in America between principle and practice.
Tucker damns “libertarian brutalists” because they aspire to liberty so that they may freely live out their lives as boors. He specifically singles out racists, anti-Semites and misogynists, but he could just as easily be talking about people who are intolerant of believers or prejudiced against proletarians. In Tucker’s view it is not quite enough for libertarians to want to bring about a libertarian system. He asserts that because liberty allows for a great many practical outcomes that may be inspiring as well as ugly, it is likewise important what the supporters of liberty intend to do with their freedom.

It should be first noted that libertarianism is an extremely poor choice of political philosophy for a boor worth his salt to pick up and champion.
link:

http://thelibertarianliquidationist.com ... ainst-sin/

By seeking to remove .gov from the market, Libertarians remove the last able check on human greed. As .gov becomes smaller and smaller due to defunding of the social safety net, greed is allowed more and more free reign.

We have to note the recent budget just to see: Wall Street and Big Banks will again be able to transfer more tax dollars to their own private accounts because the new CRomnibus bill removes the recently-placed checks on Big Banks being able to gamble on Wall Street with someone else's money. Moreover, we see in several states what happens when the .gov's ability to enforce pension agreements becomes weakened due to this same effect: the states get to steal pension funds for purposes not intended. The old and sick become defunded while Big Finance becomes further engorged with others' monies.

This is the result of the practice of American Libertarianism, which obviously and clearly differs from the principles of Libertarianism: once the check on greed is removed, greed runs unchecked. The weak are crushed. I reject any practice supportive of that sequence of events.

This is why those who support the American practice outlined above must resort to fallacies and distractions: greed is indefensible. While freedom may remain untidy, liberty is fair.

CDFingers

It is ironic that Libertarianism is the only " rebel" political philosophy embraced by the Ruling Class.
That right there is a damning indictment of its version of human liberty.
"... the rich rob the poor under the cover of law. We plunder the rich under the cover of our own courage." - Captain " Black Sam" Bellamy ( executed for piracy, 1717).