Re: What gun-related thing are you waiting for?

MORE LEAD!!!!
Everybody that sees (or hears/reads about) my lead stash is convinced that I'm set for life. But, they don't understand that a single range trip can consume 12 pounds of the stuff. 12 POUNDS, man!

Anyway, back to the topic....I got my fire lapping kit which I hope will ameliorate the unfortunate leading and concomitant fall-off in accuracy in my 629. What baffles me is how is it that a top drawer PC Smith can have such an obviously rough bore, and yet the considerably more pedestrian Ruger New Vaquero can have have such a bright, shiny and smooth bore right out of the box?

Oh, well. If this doesn't work, then I will be sending it back to Smith....again. I've only sent this one back once. Took them 3 tries to get the 686 shooting like a champ.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I am still waiting for the .CZ RAMI BD 2075 that I ordered about nine weeks ago. I stopped by the CZ dealer today - it's in Hanover PA, about 30 miles from here - and they are still waiting for it to be delivered. They will check on progress.

They did have a RAMI in .40 but it was not a decocker version.

While there, I fondled a nice CZ 12 gauge pump and the new, made-in-the-USA CZ 1911. The latter is a big step for them (and Dan Wesson). Very plain, full size, no external extractor, etc. Felt good to me but I am not a 1911 guy.

I also played with a Kimber Solo. Interesting little heater.

Picked up the Yugo M48 Mauser yesterday. It's a fine old intermediate length Mauser action that should be a good foundation for a sporting rifle. I also got some 8X57 ammo so I can shoot it before I tear it apart.

The Uberti 1885 was shipped and should arrive on Monday. I won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday morning. Can't wait to finally have it in my hands and take it shooting... I have my fingers crossed that it's in acceptable condition.

I ordered 10,000 large pistol mag primers seeing as they were on sale. I'm also waiting on my Henry to come back from the factory. The mag tube was backing out under fire and Henry insisted on returning it. I'm also waiting on Smith to fix and return my 629.
I sent the lock from my Brown Bess to a smith in New Hampshire to have the frizzen hardened and the trigger lightened, which is accomplished by reducing the sear spring tension and reworking the full cock notch. And which is well beyond my abilities. Hoping to get that back in a few days.

dcramer64 wrote:Picked up the Yugo M48 Mauser yesterday. It's a fine old intermediate length Mauser action that should be a good foundation for a sporting rifle. I also got some 8X57 ammo so I can shoot it before I tear it apart.
dcramer64-
I also have an M48. Great shooter and in fine condition, too.
When you tear it apart, be super careful not to break the firing pin if you disassemble the bolt. There aren't any spares and pins from k98 or other variants do not fit.
Breaking the firing pin is easy to do.
Last edited by beaurrr on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:
dcramer64 wrote:Picked up the Yugo M48 Mauser yesterday. It's a fine old intermediate length Mauser action that should be a good foundation for a sporting rifle. I also got some 8X57 ammo so I can shoot it before I tear it apart.
dcramer64-
I also have an M48. Great shooter and in fine condition, too.
When you tear it apart, be super careful not to break the firing pin if you disassemble the bolt. There aren't any spares and pins from k98 or other variants do not fit.
Breaking the firing pin is easy to do.
The firing pin is fine. If I break it and can't find a replacement, I'll probably just repair it or make a new one... I have the technology and plenty of experienced gunsmithing instructors at my disposal...

Also, it should be possible to cut a standard Mauser firing pin in half, shorten it, and weld it back together to make a replacement. Springs are no issue...we recently learned how to make our own.

Just got a new 1911A1! :smart: (to go with the awesome LGC grips I got at the annual meeting...) :laugh:

Now I have two extra magazines on the way... Hope the weather gets better so I can try it out!!! :tongue:

It is a Rock Island M1911A1 .45 ACP GI model. Really tight fit and looks really good. Looking forward to shooting it soon!!
Frogger

Member of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Liberal Gun Club
---

Frogger wrote:Just got a new 1911A1! :smart: (to go with the awesome LGC grips I got at the annual meeting...) :laugh:

Now I have two extra magazines on the way... Hope the weather gets better so I can try it out!!! :tongue:

It is a Rock Island M1911A1 .45 ACP GI model. Really tight fit and looks really good. Looking forward to shooting it soon!!
I'm not seeing any pics here...... :whistle:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I've never owned a modern revolver, but I liked shooting SimmerDown's hand cannons in Las Vegas, and our friend Fukshot always raves about her S&W 625, and I ran into one at a LGC which is almost unheard of, so....

I just bought a Smith & Wesson 625 JM as a holiday present from my family to me.

Looks like this:

While it's in 10-day jail, I've been ordering accessories. Extra moonclips, a demooner (tool to facilitate extracting cartridges from moonclips), a Blade Tech holster, and IDPA legal moonclip belt holders.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:I've never owned a modern revolver, but I liked shooting SimmerDown's hand cannons in Las Vegas, and our friend Fukshot always raves about her S&W 625, and I ran into one at a LGC which is almost unheard of, so....

I just bought a Smith & Wesson 625 JM as a holiday present from my family to me.

Looks like this:

While it's in 10-day jail, I've been ordering accessories. Extra moonclips, a demooner (tool to facilitate extracting cartridges from moonclips), a Blade Tech holster, and IDPA legal moonclip belt holders.
Bad ass!

I love my 627 now that I have good grips on it. I just need to put a fiber optic front sight on it and see if I can lower the spring weight at all.

What demooner did you get?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."