A milestone for The LGC!!

This is a very important day.

The Liberal Gun Club, your gun club, now has a Basic Firearms Course. That BFC was submitted to the State of Massachusetts for inclusion on their list of Approved Basic Firearms Safety Courses. Today, we have received notice that we have been approved and The LGC Basic Firearms Course is now course # LTC-019 on the list of approved courses:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopstermina ... csid=Eeops

More information on the course will be forthcoming as we put the final touches on the student material that will come with the course and finalize the instructor manual.

Several members of the the club deserve thanks for their help and expertise - although I won't announce them all here yet because I am not sure everyone wants that to be publicized at this point. But let's just say that there is no way I could have done this alone. The one person who I think will be ok with announcing it, and who was on the ground in MA doing the footwork for us, and will be one of the initial instructors, was The Inquisitor. As I said, there will be more later, as well as appropriate thanks given to those individuals who don't mind it being posted.

Stay tuned for more, we will be having some tests runs of the course soon and you guys may get to play Guinea pigs for certain sections of the course.

This is a big f'in deal (as Biden would say).

Woohoo.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Re: A milestone for The LGC!!

AmirMortal wrote:So when do weget it nationally recognized? That is the next step right? :D Or at least in FL?
I wish we had some kind of national shooting club for liberals/progressives.

I've been wanting to shoot IDPA for a long time. However, I have no desire to hang out with the types who compete in those. I don't need to hear bullshit about how Obama is a Marxist/Islamist/Radical Black Christian/The Anti-Christ, how liberals love to murder babies, teh gays are trying to "recruit" your kids, Glen Beck is a great American, blah blah.....

I can't attend events like IDPA and pretend like I don't hear the background chatter.
The Detroit Red Wings. It's not just a game; it's a religion!

goosekiller wrote:Very nice, very nice. Can this be done with Illinois, Mr. Paladin? Do they even approve safety programs other than for hunters? If not, perhaps we can do a hunter safety edition.

I have the state license to teach the blue card class but becoming an official agency would be a good thing

Paladin wrote:
goosekiller wrote:Very nice, very nice. Can this be done with Illinois, Mr. Paladin? Do they even approve safety programs other than for hunters? If not, perhaps we can do a hunter safety edition.

I have the state license to teach the blue card class but becoming an official agency would be a good thing

From what I can tell, every individual who wants to teach needs to be registered as a firearms instructor in the state of IL. They do not seem to approve a particular 'course', like they do in MA, they approve individuals. However, when you apply for individual registration you have to check off where you got your training. The current options are:

A. Firearm instructor recognized and approved by the Illinois Police Training Board
B. Firearm instructor recognized and approved by the National Rifle Association
C. Other firearm instructor training

Once we get this show rolling a bit, and we develop the instructors course, then they will have to put down our information under option C and see where it goes.

IL and MA are two of the more fairly restrictive states. SC, for example, has no restrictions and no requirements. We are at the other end of the spectrum.

As far as national shooting competitions and shooting ranges, etc. Those are wonderful goals that start with something like this. The students have to purchase course materials from the club. They are relatively cheap and we make a few dollars on each course packet. They also automatically become LGC members. If three instructors in the field each only teach 5 students on average per month (that is one 15 student class per 3 months), that provides us with a small but steady stream of money. A small but steady stream of money allows us to do things like buy better hats and similar merchandise, buy ads, pay for talented folks to create logos and the like, offer cash incentives for authors to write for the magazine, get more lawyer time, invest money, purchase plots of land, etc. This is where it starts. This club, to become more than it is, needs money. Having courses serves the public good by educating gun owners who might otherwise not get educated. That is a primary concern. But it also creates new members and creates some money.

So.... I agree, those things would be awesome.... but these are baby steps.

And if someone wants to start an LGC branded gun range, lets talk. I am sure we can work something out. :)
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

I am still waiting on the state of Il to tell me whether I can be an approved instructor there.

I believe this course qualifies for at least the the out of state FL license. I got my FL CCW permit by using a MA approved safety course. From a cursory look at the regs, it will probably work for many other states non-resident permits.

We have as yet to roll out an instructor certification course, so right now there are only 3 qualified LGC instructors for this course. Myself, Paladin and mvelimir. And I am the only certified instructor in MA at this time.

Stay tuned ;)

I think that the best way to counter the Brady campaign or handgun control is from the left, at most venues someone with a tin foil hat with a bunch of tea bags hanging off of it has zero credibility. Plus there are going to be a few elected reps. that are going to retire and left wing candidates who are gun friendly will be much more electable. The DFL in Mn. really "shot it self in the foot" years ago with people like Warren Spanous, and it would do wonders if that image could be countered.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

fitterr wrote:I saw the course listed on the MA eopss website. Does it still exist and can it be taken?
Yes. Make 10 posts so yo can PM. You can start a thread and post pictures of guns or kittens, whatever. When you've done that PM "Inquisitor". He is the MA instructor.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese