Re: POSTAL MATCHES 3 & 4 -- Details

CDFingers wrote:Here it is 48 hrs later, about: I have a bit of a bruise between my thumb and index finger in the web there. I can feel my right deltoid is tired, and I can feel where I squeezed the GP in my forearm. Also, I can see where from time to time the finger nail of my trigger finger chipped my thumb a few times; I play finger style guitar, so my nails on my right hand are longer. When the round goes off, the nail hits the thumb from time to time on its knuckle.

This is interesting data for me. The 100 with the MKII was very different from the 100 in .357mag.

This match gave me a reason to do 100 with each. I'd've never done it otherwise. This gives me an opportunity to learn some new things. First, doing the exercise with the baseball bat really helped me with the GP100; this is where I hold the bat by the knob with the barrel pointing at the ceiling, then rotate left to flat, then rotate back to up, then over to the right 'till it's flat, then back to left and so on for five times, this with each arm. I'm sure this also helps my archery. But it really helps with the hand gun.

Second, with so many rounds fired, for me, and a score to be scored, I was forced to pay attention to each shot. I know I' s'posed to do it every time when I'm plinking, but sometimes a shot is just a shot. With this match, when I hit outside the circle--great scoring option for this match--I would pay close attention next shot. I would flinch a time or two, and I could call these as I shot, "low, left", and so on. I didn't waste any rounds sighting in, so my first five or so printed a bit high. In subsequent shots I'd hold at about six o'clock just low of center.

Third, this time I used the Lee Powder Measure scoop technique so making rounds was faster. I used the 5CC dipper and filled it "just a tad" below the rim to get the 5 gr Unique for each round. For the first ten or so, I'd do a dip then weigh it before I put the powder in; this was to get the level correct. Then I'd measure maybe every five or ten. After 80 or so, I'd only measure every 15. When I dipped a bit and knew it has low or high I could tell. I'd measure to find out, and I'd correct it. Dipping was a lot quicker. I really don't think it made any difference in my score. At 15 yards I don't think any differences would show up. Now, I must say, from time to time I think I could feel if a round was a tad hot or a tad cold. There was no consistency that I could see about whether I hit inside the circle or not.

Fourth, I did hurt my right ear a tad. Next time I do so many rounds, I'll wear a foamie in my right and wear my ear muffs also. With rifles I don't see that hearing thing, probably because I stop around 50 rounds or so.

This was a fun match for me.

CDFingers

Yeah, 100 rounds at one time is a question mark for me too - not sure I can manage it with my arthritic shoulder. :oops:
Merle from PA

In the back I've got which ever tech sight doesn't flip (i.e. you can also adjust elevation in the rear).

On the front I've got a Nodak Spud NDS23 sight. It's designed for .92", and the actual barrel is .87, so I had to shim it with a piece of brass sheet. That was a pain in the but to get working, but now that it's on it looks and shoots great.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

I should be shooting the pistol match this weekend.

One question regarding the rules:

Position: This is an offhand competition. Any standing freehand position is acceptable. No leaning or resting against external support is allowed.

So...weak hand? I normally shoot right-handed, so that should be my left for this one? Apologies, but it's Friday afternoon and my brain is slightly burnt from work. :wavecry:
LGC Texas - Vice President

Offhand is an odd term. I believe it comes from rifles, where where it referred to shooting standing up without any support. I had the same confusion for a long time.

It does not mean mean weak hand (which is called "weak hand") shooting. It is arguable that it might refer to the classic target pistol stance (one handed), but that has been clarified.

From the directions:
You may hold the pistol with one or two hands and use any stance you prefer.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:Offhand is an odd term. I believe it comes from rifles, where where it referred to shooting standing up without any support. I had the same confusion for a long time.

It does not mean mean weak hand (which is called "weak hand") shooting. It is arguable that it might refer to the classic target pistol stance (one handed), but that has been clarified.

From the directions:
You may hold the pistol with one or two hands and use any stance you prefer.
Oh goody, then I have a sporting chance at this one. Thanks for the clarification.

Shot the Centerfire Pistol Match today, didn't go as well as I hoped. Was triple digits at the range and while I brought water, it wasn't enough. Halfway through I started losing concentration and threw some stupid shots that should have hit. Improved somewhat after a deep breath but not enough.

Oh well, bringing my damn Camelbak for rimfire...

TheViking wrote:Shot the Centerfire Pistol Match today, didn't go as well as I hoped. Was triple digits at the range and while I brought water, it wasn't enough. Halfway through I started losing concentration and threw some stupid shots that should have hit. Improved somewhat after a deep breath but not enough.

I was wilting on the range long before I got to the pistol matches. I'm hoping to get to the climate controlled indoor range before the Match deadline. :yucky:

atxgunguy wrote:
TheViking wrote:Shot the Centerfire Pistol Match today, didn't go as well as I hoped. Was triple digits at the range and while I brought water, it wasn't enough. Halfway through I started losing concentration and threw some stupid shots that should have hit. Improved somewhat after a deep breath but not enough.

I was wilting on the range long before I got to the pistol matches. I'm hoping to get to the climate controlled indoor range before the Match deadline. :yucky:
I'll take triple digits outdoors and alone before I go to Red's again. I had yesterday off so there were only two other people on the whole range and they were at other bays :D

TheViking wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:

I'll take triple digits outdoors and alone before I go to Red's again. I had yesterday off so there were only two other people on the whole range and they were at other bays :D
I think we mentioned this before, but Shady Oaks has real, actual climate control.

http://www.shadyoaksgunrange.com/

sturner wrote:I have the Frisco gun Club, which is a guntry club of sorts. I only have the base membership but that gets me into the pistol and rifle bays, all climate controlled.
Wow. Very high end indeed!

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Catalyst wrote:
sturner wrote:I have the Frisco gun Club, which is a guntry club of sorts. I only have the base membership but that gets me into the pistol and rifle bays, all climate controlled.
Indoor 100 yard rifle range. Yearly dues are not excessive.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Indoor 100 yard rifle range. Yearly dues are not excessive.
I was checking out their website. Looks like the kind of place I wouldn't mind getting married at.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

atxgunguy wrote:
TheViking wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:

I think we mentioned this before, but Shady Oaks has real, actual climate control.

http://www.shadyoaksgunrange.com/
Fuck that. MAYBE for winter use, otherwise I'd rather be outside where I can use my own targets as I want, go out to them when I want, draw from a holster if I want, set up my chrono and not have an RSO half my age breathing down my neck.

Shot my rimfire rifle match today. Scope, sadly, cos my peep-sight rifle weighs 13 lbs (I kid you not!) and the lighter one has a scope. Open sights? Not with my eyes. :)

Also had a chance after the match shooting to finish off my last 15 rounds of that Mexican-mad Ci ammo in the SR22. Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT buy any of that crap!! The SR22 had a couple of stovepipes (expected) but it also had a near case-head separation. Blew out the joint about 3/4 of the way round - showered my hand with (fortunately) only burning powder, not shards, and scared the crap out of me. 22 pistols are not supposed to make that much noise.

I dodn't think anyone will have to worry about my beating them in this. I searched in vain for one shot - and found it in the upper portions of the sighting bull. Had to count shots to make sure. :)

Fun, though.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.