POSTAL MATCHES 5, 6, 7 -- DETAILS

Here is a link to all the directions for LGC Postal Matches, 5, 6, and 7.

Match 5 is for pistols, rimfire and centerfire.

Match 6 is for .22 rifles.

Match 7 is for milsurp rifles.

All LGC Forum members are welcome to enter.

This post is edited frequently to clarify rules, add target sources, etc. The download count is reset every time the attachments are edited.

Current tally: the Postal Match directions have been downloaded 120 times.
Last edited by Paco on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 14 times in total.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop
Attachments
LGC Postal Matches 5, 6, 7 Updated.pdf
(275.32 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Re: POSTAl MATCHES 5, 6, 7 -- DETAILS

TheViking wrote:On the milsurp match, do all rings on the SR-21 count? The full target had rings out to 5 but the downloadable one in there only goes out to 7. Big difference between a 5 or six and a miss.
Really good question. I didn't notice the difference because I checked the download and didn't count the rings on the commercial version.

I'm going to pm you about this.

In the meantime, if others have an opinion, please chime in.

TheViking wrote:
WilsonLNU wrote:Newbie question (sorry to be a bother): Does the VZ2008 count as milsurp?
I would say no but it's not my call. It's new production and if that's allowed, one could argue that ARs should be too since they are based on the original M16 from 50+ years ago...
Thanks for being careful enough to ask the question. I'm afraid, though, that I have to rule that the TheViking is right, and his reasons are on point. I was not familiar with the rifle you've mentioned, but after looking it up and considering the specs, I see that it's essentially a new production, a modernized version of on an older one. So I have to conclude it doesn't qualify.

If others disagree, I'm always glad to consider their opinions. But I believe my decision is correct.

I think in future matches, you'll find a division in which it will be eligible.

Again, sorry. I hope you'll enter one of the matches with something else.

Hmm. I'm on the fence with the vz2008. It's not substantially different than my vz-58- the mods are just for 922 compliance, other than that its essentially the same. The trigger is the only real difference with the civilian versions in order to be legal.

However, I would say that the ar is out, as its strictly a new metal build- inspired by the m16, not the same rifle.

My $.02 anyway

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Important Notice for Milsurp Match Entrants

The scoring issue raised by TheViking is important. The commercial and downloadable targets for the milsurp match have one major difference: The download only has complete scoring rings out to the seven ring, but the commercial version includes the five and six rings.

(No worries: The scoring area size from 7 up is the same.)

So, here's the fix: For those using a purchased target, please only score hits in the 7, 8, 9, 10, and X rings. Do not score hits in the 5 and 6 rings.

The posted set of match directions will be edited to reflect this change.

Sorry for the confusion. My fault. I checked the download but didn't look closely enough at the commercial target.

Bucolic wrote:I am thinking about using my wife's Woodsman for the rimfire/iron sights division. Have not shot it in a while so it could be a challenge. I will put the red dot back on the 22/45 for the rimfire/glass division.

No milsurps in my collection. Fighting the urge.
Maybe I should get a scope mount for my P22 so I can do both divisions.

My version of the 597 doesn't have iron sights but it does have a Picatinny rail for the scope - I could put the flip up sights from the AR on there, handicap myself with the 6" sight radius

Bucolic wrote:No milsurps in my collection. Fighting the urge.
Resistance is futile.

Speaking of milsurps, here is me practicing the stance I'll use when I shoot this match:

I'm thinking I'll use my blonde Mosin carbine. Or maybe the 91/30, but it has a Smith Sights sight on it...sort of cheating, though within the rules. The carbine is stock.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

TheViking wrote:
CDFingers wrote:
I'm thinking I'll use my blonde Mosin carbine. Or maybe the 91/30, but it has a Smith Sights sight on it...sort of cheating, though within the rules. The carbine is stock.

CDFingers
Then you can shoot both divisions, stock sights and modified :D
I'm thinkin' on that. It will all depend on time, as in when I can get out there and
how long I can spend.

CDFingers

A question: I was thinking about shooting about shooting Match 6 with my CZ 453 until I noticed it explicitly states .22 LR and my rifle is a .17 HMR. Is this meant to be a generic rimfire match or just .22?

I think I know the answer but there is no harm in asking, right? Besides, I would kick serious butt with that rifle. Hell, I may shoot the match just to see how badly I would smoke you all... ;-)

CDFingers wrote:Speaking of milsurps, here is me practicing the stance I'll use when I shoot this match:
CDFingers
Hey: that is me kneeling. The two available positions are standing and seated. My bad.

I have selected two rifles for this, a Mosin carbine and a Finn m39 with a rear peep sight. I could do both rifles in one day if I plan correctly and have my targets prepared beforehand.

CDFingers