Well this is different. Libertarian animal sacrifice?

And you thought it was just a click bait topic. Oh no my friends.

First, I'll say I don't think this guy represents many Libertarians or pagans, but it is certainly a doozy. (Yes, it is Florida. Did you have to ask?)

I thought it must have been a BS story, but nope. It's really happening. And he's running for the Senate as a libertarian candidate. In fact, as the only libertarian candidate in Florida.
wo years ago, Augustus Sol Invictus walked from central Florida to the Mojave Desert and spent a week fasting and praying, at times thinking he wouldn't survive. In a pagan ritual to give thanks when he returned home, he killed a goat and drank its blood.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features ... story.html

And a corroborating link:
http://www.gq.com/story/augustus-sol-in ... -sacrifice

With that name, obviously a humble guy. (Means "majestic unconquered sun")
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Well this is different. Libertarian animal sacrifice?

Probably not the weirdest Libertarian Party candidate I've ever met. :crazy:

The elections a year away, and I don't even have the conventions in my calendar yet. This is, more than likely, a publicity stunt. Apparently, it worked. No publicity like free publicity.

As long as he owned the goat in question, I don't see a moral or ethical problem with killing it and drinking its blood.

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- The Last Words of Pancho Villa

In his own estimation, Libertarian candidate Mr. Augustus Sol Invictus thinks more profoundly and writes better English than anyone he knows. He speaks more languages, dresses in finer taste, and achieves more than normal humans because he is a genius and an artist, or so he believes. These assessments can be found in a document he wrote in 2013.

That was the year he decided it was no longer possible to live surrounded by the human fungi he believes others to be, and so he determined he would disappear into the Florida wilderness. To explain his dramatic change in habitat he wrote a lengthy "Departure Memo and Explanation" and mailed it to fellow graduates of the DePaul law school.

Here is the ending of that historic missive:

HEAR YE MY FINAL WORDS IN PEACETIME:

I have prophesied for years that I was born for a Great War; that if I did not witness the coming of the Second American Civil War I would begin it myself. Mark well: That day is fast coming upon you. On the New Moon of May, I shall disappear into the Wilderness. I will return bearing Revolution, or I will not return at all.

War Be unto the Ends of the Earth,

Augustus Sol Invictus
Orlando, Florida, USA
XX Aprilis MMXIII Satvrnvs

Mr. Invictus did return of course, although he brought no revolution with him. In lieu of war and upheaval he eventually did bring home an animal, and upon that beast he lavished a rare form of attention.

We shall probably never know if there was a significant relationship between Mr. Invictus and his goat prior to that animal's violent death and subsequent imbibement.

But in memory of the goat and of all the saints and the martyrs, I can only hope not.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Paco wrote:In his own estimation, Libertarian candidate Mr. Augustus Sol Invictus thinks more profoundly and writes better English than anyone he knows. He speaks more languages, dresses in finer taste, and achieves more than normal humans because he is a genius and an artist, or so he believes. These assessments can be found in a document he wrote in 2013.

That was the year he decided it was no longer possible to live surrounded by the human fungi he believes others to be, and so he determined he would disappear into the Florida wilderness. To explain his dramatic change in habitat he wrote a lengthy "Departure Memo and Explanation" and mailed it to fellow graduates of the DePaul law school.

Here is the ending of that historic missive:

HEAR YE MY FINAL WORDS IN PEACETIME:

I have prophesied for years that I was born for a Great War; that if I did not witness the coming of the Second American Civil War I would begin it myself. Mark well: That day is fast coming upon you. On the New Moon of May, I shall disappear into the Wilderness. I will return bearing Revolution, or I will not return at all.

War Be unto the Ends of the Earth,

Augustus Sol Invictus
Orlando, Florida, USA
XX Aprilis MMXIII Satvrnvs

Mr. Invictus did return of course, although he brought no revolution with him. In lieu of war and upheaval he eventually did bring home an animal, and upon that beast he lavished a rare form of attention.

We shall probably never know if there was a significant relationship between Mr. Invictus and his goat prior to that animal's violent death and subsequent imbibement.

But in memory of the goat and of all the saints and the martyrs, I can only hope not.

he sounds like Trump......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPrJxTvgdQ
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

lurker wrote:
Paco wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:As long as the animal was treated and slaughtered humanely, meh.
Did you mean "maaaa"?
that's so baaaaad
I'm tempted to write "Bah!" (Well, I did write it.) But I have to admit that lurker is correct: maaaa baaaaad.

I remain concerned about the goat's antemortem treatment. Let's say -- hypothetically -- that the poor beast, one with a reputation for eating anything, was fed a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Of course, the goat could not have read the words and would have been spared some pain.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop