M1916 Spanish Mauser 308/ 7.62 nato convert- $169

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

I wish I could get this , but no way with the holidays approaching. Maybe some of you can take advantage of this.

Manufactured at famous Oviedo factory in Spain for the Spanish Army. Converted to use ever plentiful 7.62 Nato (.308WIN) round. Short rifle. Blued turned down bolt, 5 round magazine, fixed side support and sling swivel. Minor cracks.
Barrel: 21" Overall: 44.3"
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: M1916 Spanish Mauser 308/ 7.62 nato convert- $169

comedian wrote:I need a Mauser in 7.92x 57. I'm sitting on 300 rounds of Turkish surplus ammo here.

did you check out their other rifles? They might just have one there
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

I wish I could get this , but no way with the holidays approaching. Maybe some of you can take advantage of this.

Manufactured at famous Oviedo factory in Spain for the Spanish Army. Converted to use ever plentiful 7.62 Nato (.308WIN) round. Short rifle. Blued turned down bolt, 5 round magazine, fixed side support and sling swivel. Minor cracks.
You should do a little research before jumping on that deal. The original 7mm Mauser operates at somewhat lower pressures and there is some reason for concern about the durability of the conversions. It's unlikely that the rifle will "blow up", but it MAY develope excessive headspace.
Merle from PA

Merle wrote:
dandad wrote:https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

You should do a little research before jumping on that deal. The original 7mm Mauser operates at somewhat lower pressures and there is some reason for concern about the durability of the conversions. It's unlikely that the rifle will "blow up", but it MAY develope excessive headspace.

Good point. I didnt even think of that being a problem. Maybe just load light for it?
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

The 1916 Mauser is a small ring 93 action, not a large ring 98 action. They were chambered for the 7.62 CETME cartridge, not the 7.62 NATO. The difference is 46,800CUP pressure for the CETME cartridge, which is right in line with all the other cartridges originally used with the small ring Mausers. 7.62 NATO is 56,000 psi, and .308 Win is 62,000 psi SAMMI max; well above what is typically used in a small ring Mauser. If you handload and keep pressure in the acceptable range, then it would be just fine. But if you want to use commercial .308 Win, you have very little safety margin. The small ring Mausers were not as strong as the large ring 98, nor do they have properties for handling expanding gasses in the instance of a blown primer or failed case, that are sufficient to protect the shooter for a cartridge of that pressure level. The 92/93/94/96 actions really need to be kept to the cartridges and pressure levels for which they were designed.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Merle wrote:Well said; this sums it up very nicely! Most people have never heard of a CETME, let alone the various versions of the rifle.

This rifle and the Ishapore Enfields sure got a lot of controversy stirred up.'
Part II,

So while the conversion of the 1916 Mauser's was for the 7.62 CETME cartridge, it should be noted that eventually Spain converted from the CETME cartridge to the NATO cartridge, and I believe they continued to use the M1916 in guards units using the 7.62 NATO. I've never heard of a problem, but it's still not something I as a gunsmith would never recommend. If you open up Kunhausen's book on gunsmithing the Mauser rifle, you'll see he doesn't recommend anything over 50kpsi on any action prior to the 98.

As for the Ishapore .308's; they were always for 7.62 NATO and should be just fine. Not ideal, but adequate. The No 4's are supposed to be metallurgically superior to the No 3's, but I have never seen ANYTHING that would make me think any of the No 3's (regardless of where they were made) have ever had anything but the highest quality, first rate steel.

And keep in mind, the L42A1 sniper rifles were made on No 4 actions and they were 7.62 NATO, so the action is sufficient. As there is no difference in the gas handling qualities between the No 3 & No 4, I see no reason why a No 3 can't safely handle a .308. Still, I think it's safe, not ideal.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”