Good gun day

So today I attended the monthly Tanner Gun Show in Denver hoping to find an inexpensive older .22 LR bolt rifle that would be suitable for the male offspring to use. Originally I was going to go by myself and look for just the rifle and possibly some new sights for my 1911 but as I was leaving the wife asked if she could come so I waited a few minutes while she got ready then we headed out. I did not expected it to be as busy as it was but after some exploration of the parking lot a space was found and the vehicle sequestered there. Going in the wife was immediately drawn to the jewelry vendor right at the beginning and then the book seller right across. Having a goal in mind I typically peruse through the entire gun show before deciding on purchases, my wife does not follow this philosophy however and only through my intervention managed to get through the show without spending our money.

Though I did find a few rifles that might have met my needs I was not able to get as good of a look at it as I would like so I only ended up buying new grip for my pistol. My wife on the other hand has seemed to have caught the plinking bug and found a Browning Buck Mark Camper that she liked and after obtaining the cash required made her first pistol purchase. Along with the pistol "she" ended up with a range bag 200 more rounds of .22 and a breakdown manual for the Buck Mark.

After the purchases where made and we exited the show we made our way to the indoor range that is close by, had it been a nicer day I would have gone to the outdoor range at one the state parks in the area. we probably put about 200 rounds through the Buck Mark and only 50 through my 1911. A nice time was had by both of us and now I'm paying for the family membership at the range instead of just one for me.

I liked how the Buck Mark shot and reliezed that I had been shooting my 1911 to long since I braced for the recoil of a .45 while shooting the .22 to start with.

Last edited by RurouniKakita on Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I shoot guns and make ammo to.

Re: Good gun day

Somehow I can't see the pics.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bring my wife with me to a gun show unless I did these things: 1) give her the cash we can afford she can spend; 2) the guns I buy sit at the FFL for ten days in Calif, so there's no trouble there; 3) shop separately; 4) buy her something neat that she'd like that she'd not buy for herself.

Now, for those of you who have not read it, you have to find out how I get the rifles from the FFL into my gun safes, read "Gun Running (past the wife)" by Patrick McManus. It's in his book The Grasshopper Trap. A scream.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Mohead wrote:Nice! I have found that I enjoy range time even more with my wife along. Does yours outshoot you yet?
Maybe a little but she's not a complete stranger to target shooting having done a lot of archery in SCA in her youth, nor is she unfamiliar with firearms.
CDFingers wrote:Somehow I can't see the pics.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bring my wife with me to a gun show unless I did these things: 1) give her the cash we can afford she can spend; 2) the guns I buy sit at the FFL for ten days in Calif, so there's no trouble there; 3) shop separately; 4) buy her something neat that she'd like that she'd not buy for herself.

Now, for those of you who have not read it, you have to find out how I get the rifles from the FFL into my gun safes, read "Gun Running (past the wife)" by Patrick McManus. It's in his book The Grasshopper Trap. A scream.

CDFingers
Pics should be fixed. In this case of buying the buck mark I was the one that gave her the cash she just filled out the paperwork and physically passed the money. I've probably read that one many years ago. Fortunately I don't have his mojo when it comes to guided hunts, though I was close once.
I shoot guns and make ammo to.