Australia announces amnesty for unregistered guns

Authorities believe there are 260,000 unregistered firearms
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-austr ... SKCN12L0P8
The amnesty comes amid a debate over gun laws that has opened up a rift in the ruling Liberal Party, pitting Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull against the man he overthrew ahead of a key party gathering this weekend.

"The amnesty will provide an opportunity for those individuals who, for whatever reason are in possession of an unregistered firearm, to hand it in without fear of being prosecuted," Justice Minister Michael Keenan told reporters in Melbourne.

"While Australia has some of the strongest firearm controls in the world, illicit firearms remain the weapon of choice for criminals."
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Australia announces amnesty for unregistered guns

lurker wrote:
TheViking wrote:nothing but old widows handing over guns their late husbands acquired during WW2 and had stashed away in the attic ever since.
dang, i bet there were some beauties.
Tell me about it. After the War there was a metric shitton of guns in circulation between what the Germans left behind and what the Allies air dropped for the Resistance. Most near mint since there wasn't much fighting.

A lot of them were simply impossible to own legally later because they were full auto, lots of STENs, MP38s and MP40s. A lot of the rifles and handguns were actually registered and legal after the War.

When my Dad was teenager he had two M1 Carbines and a Garand and one of his friends had an MG34 and a medium mortar. My ex-father-in-law had a P38 and a Belgian, German-marked Browning 1903. Probably still does.

Few years ago wife and I met a couple from down under while on a tour of the Grand Canyon. We got taliking about guns and she was appalled about guns here in the states. He talked about his Dad selling back to the government theme Enfield MK IV he had been issued in the service also a 22 single shot rifle. She wondered if I wore a six gun when I was home on the range in Texas. I disappointed her that I didn't have a ranch or oil wells and was a nurse to boot.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

atxgunguy wrote:My neighbor back when I was kid had a water-cooled Browning machinegun in his attic. He had been in the Seabees during the Pacific Theater and well, he was a mechanic and a disassembled machinegun would like any other heap of metal parts in a sea crate. :whistle:

He's quite old now and I'm pretty sure there's still a Class 3 HMG in his attic gathering dust.
That is why I think the idea of gun control is idiotic. To many guns are out there and are unaccounted for by the government and the research groups.

How many of the veterans of the wars have brought back "souvenirs of their battles" and are not known much less have any paperwork on them. I know of a Sargent that brought back from Vietnam a M16 and a M3 greasegun. They weren't registered with the ATF.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,