Re: Jack London seemed to get it.

Apparently I got away with it. :yahoo:

Queen, cruise the gun pr0n thread in General to see the whole rifle.

It's easy as an old white man just to hunker down, buy a six pack, and watch some dippy reality TV show.

I say "don't take the easy way: the soul you lose definitely will be your own."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

eelj wrote:He did have some very serious flaws in his personality.
Read his book "John Barleycorn" for perhaps some insight. He was an alcoholic from an early age. He was self aware enough to recognize this was a problem for himself and society. He became pro-prohibition; and pro-women's sufferage. He figured if women had the vote, prohibition would pass.
Aim past the target.

gator68 wrote:
Read his book "John Barleycorn" for perhaps some insight. He was an alcoholic from an early age. He was self aware enough to recognize this was a problem for himself and society. He became pro-prohibition; and pro-women's sufferage. He figured if women had the vote, prohibition would pass.
For christ sakes he was an unrepentant white supremecist, he was also an anti semite.

eelj wrote:
gator68 wrote:
For christ sakes he was an unrepentant white supremecist, he was also an anti semite.
He also questioned most race fancies. I suspect he was complicated and influenced by the thinking of his time.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:
eelj wrote:
gator68 wrote:
He also questioned most race fancies. I suspect he was complicated and influenced by the thinking of his time.
I didn't know about his racism. Thanks for pointing that out. I found this essay:
http://culturecountermag.com/mysteries- ... of-beauty/

I think the conclusion conveys better some of the sense I was trying to say.
"Read Jack London, but read him not in adoration. Rather read him with passion and critical intelligence worthy of a major writer who linked the world of Mark Twain to the world of Ernest Hemingway. Not the odd man out in the field of American literature, but at his best a kind of missing link who connected cultures, centuries and the conscience of the nation."
Aim past the target.

There's the Artist, and there's the Art. One produces the other, yet the other is not the producer. Sometimes the Art allows the Artist to become purged. Sometimes not. Sort of like a box of chocolates--from Colorado. :ugeek:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Queen wrote:
Marlene wrote:The secret is the editing checklist:

1) is it mean enough?
2) are there enough subjunctive clauses?
3) is it too transparently a riff on Dorothy Parker?
4) could this sentence have more "fuck"s in it?
So noted. I've got #4 dialed in but I'm weak on #1 and #3.

For the dystopian novel lovers among us, try Earth Abides, excellent read.
Or the short story by C.M.Kombluth

The Marching Morons.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Elmo wrote:No need to buy it. It is in the public domain and available free online through Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1164/1164-h/1164-h.htm

And while we're talking about Jack, I'll make the gun connection by reposting this great pic.
Jack London with long gun.jpg
Yeah, but i grew up with paper backs. Bent pages, cracked bindings, smell of paper, able to stick them in pockets without fear of breaking a $200 screen and losing access to my entire digital life. That immersion into a story without the notification sounds of text, emails, special offers for things i really dont want. An escape from the world .

I do get somethings digitally, im not a luddite, and Gutenberg digital press is a godsend for millions of books that people today may never have had access to, but I love real physical books. Thats why I have books shelves all over . lol.. And I hope that is why my kids all like to read too.

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I watched Captain Fantastic last night. I would think it could be a London story is he were writing today. I really enjoyed it.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Matt damon and ben afflek bringing what sounds like a good show of a dystopian US to the SiFi channel soon.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/29/why-you ... i-fi-tv-s/

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

For you dystopian enthusiasts, Amazon Prime has the Collin Ferrel movie, Lobster, in its library now. Its a Strange one.

In the future. If your single by a certain age you are taken to a singles resort. If you don't fins your opposite sex lifetime partner in 45 days, your designated as an animal. Stripped, set in the woods and periodically hunted by remaining singles with rifles .

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

RJHinPDX wrote:
gator68 wrote:Jack London wrote the one of the first dystopian novels -- "The Iron Heel". It describes the rise of the Oligarchy and the 300 year struggle to fight the power.
The Kindle edition of The Iron Heel is available today at amazon for 99 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Heel-Annota ... +iron+heel
I just have problems getting cliff notes and hylighter off the screen.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more