Re: Charlottesville

A car struck a group of protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, after police dispersed a gathering of white nationalists on Saturday.

At least one person was killed in the collision, Charlottesville Mayor Mike Singer said on Twitter.

"I am heartbroken that a life has been lost here," Singer wrote. "I urge all people of good will -- go home."

At least a half-dozen others were also wounded, suffering minor to life-threatening injuries, authorities said Saturday.

A dozen medics were seen carting the injured back and forth on stretchers. The victims appear to be counter-protesters but could be residents, CBS News justice reporter Paula Reid reports.

"A car appeared to deliberately mow down pedestrians," eyewitnesses tell Reid.

Video from the scene showed a grey sedan plowing into protesters marching through the downtown shopping district as bystanders screamed for help.

Footage from another angle showed the car speeding in reverse to flee the scene.

White nationalists clashed with counter-protesters hours before the collision in downtown Charlottesville. Alt-right activists and white supremacists planned to protest the city's decision to remove a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee from the city's Emancipation Park.

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency in the city to aid the state's response to violence in the area.

The City of Charlottesville also declared the assembly unlawful and officers in riot gear began to clear the area shortly after noon.

"It is now clear that public safety cannot be safeguarded without additional powers, and that the mostly out-of-state protesters have come to Virginia to endanger our citizens and property," McAuliffe said in a statement.

"I am disgusted by the hatred, bigotry and violence these protesters have brought to our state over the past 24 hours," McAuliffe said, adding that state troopers and the Virginia National Guard were providing support to local authorities.

Jason Kessler, the organizer behind the "Unite the Right" rally, told Erickson he plans to sue the city for violating a court order permitting the rally to be held in the park.

"Our First Amendment rights were violated today," Kessler said by phone. He said the city of Charlottesville and McAuliffe violated the court ruling because they "didn't like the outcome."

Some protesters who came for the "Unite the Right" rally were armed and dressed in military-like clothing, while others wore shirts with Nazi symbols and quotes from Adolf Hitler. Another read "diversity is just a genocidal scam."

Before the crash, President Trump condemned the outbreaks of violence at the rally on Saturday.

In a tweet, Mr. Trump said Americans "must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America."

Saturday's confrontation came after a large group of torch-bearing white nationalists marched through the University of Virginia (UVA) campus Friday night, after a judge issued a ruling allowing Saturday's protest to move forward.

UVA cancelled all scheduled events planned for Saturday citing "ongoing public safety concerns," but announced that the college's medical center would remain open.

"The University is monitoring the developments in Charlottesville and continues to coordinate with state and local law enforcement," the school said in a statement.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vehicle-plo ... e-updates/

Everybody should read It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis because it can happen here.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113 ... appen_Here

My Dad a WWII vet of the European Campaign and career military is spinning in his grave over the Neo-Nazi Alt-Right movement in the US.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Art of war-never use your strength against their strength. It's to embarrassing when they turn around and kick your ass.
I sat on the patio at the university drinking coffee, eating a roll and looking up the hill at Monticello where Jefferson watched the construction of the University. It seemed so civilized at the time.
How long until the National Guard gets called in with some heavy weapons to explain to the militias the reality of strength.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Now the former Grand Dragon David Duke speaks.

[quote]As the official start of the “Unite the Right” rally kicked off in Charlottesville, Virginia, former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke said the gathering of white supremacists, neo-Nazis and far-right individuals pointed to a future fulfillment of President Donald Trump’s “promises.”

David Duke now here in #charlottesville for #altright #unitetheright rally @USATODAY @RbtKing pic.twitter.com/au69sTiTlR

— Mykal McEldowney (@mykalmphoto) August 12, 2017
“This represents a turning point for the people of this country,” said Duke in video uploaded to Twitter by Indianapolis Star photojournalist Mykal McEldowney. “We are determined to take our country back. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. That’s what we believed in, that’s why we voted for Donald Trump. Because he said he’s going to take our country back. That’s what we gotta do.”

In a tweet, Trump condemned “hate” and “violence” in response to clashes at the rally on Saturday, though he did not call out white supremacists in particular.

Duke responded to Trump’s tweet by stating that Trump should “remember” that “White Americans’ were the ones to put him in office.

I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists. https://t.co/Rkfs7O2Ykr

— David Duke (@DrDavidDuke) August 12, 2017
Duke, a former KKK Grand Wizard, has long connected his message of white supremacy to ideas espoused by the president.

During the presidential campaign, Duke stated that he and Trump had similar messages, pointing to Trump proposing policies like a border wall or Muslim ban.

“Donald Trump is talking implicitly. I’m talking explicitly,” Duke said last year, according to Time.

Duke supported Trump’s campaign and publicly celebrated his lead on election night. Trump disavowed Duke and the KKK, but only after initially declining to do so, claiming he didn’t “know anything about” him.

This weekend’s rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, called “Unite the Right,” was nominally billed as a protest against the removal of a monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. The rally drew out hundreds of demonstrators bearing Nazi symbols and Confederate flags and chanting racist slogans. Violence has erupted between the far-right rally attendees and counter-protestors, leading Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) to declare a state of emergency.
[/quite]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dav ... mg00000009

Slime balls.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

My grandfather, who was the finest man I've ever known, received his baptism of fire at Anzio and fought his way up the boot all the way to Switzerland, kicking Nazi asses for more than a year. And now these dipshits are in the United States. Fuck these assholes.
Do you believe in unlikelihoods?

In light of the extreme right wing terrorism in Charlottesville I've come to the sad realization that the time for talk has ended. It's time to come down and come down hard on the NAZIs once and for all. We all knew the biggest terrorist threat was going to come from that quarter and it seems as if the glove have come off. There's plenty of room in GITMO for them.

Sad that I'm saying this but the time has come to pick a side.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

CottonMcKnight77 wrote:My grandfather, who was the finest man I've ever known, received his baptism of fire at Anzio and fought his way up the boot all the way to Switzerland, kicking Nazi asses for more than a year. And now these dipshits are in the United States. Fuck these assholes.
Yep. My grandfather was in France D-Day+2 blowing up Wehrmacht tanks from the hedgerows to the Rhine. He'd be 93 this year and would still hate those sons o' bitches.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Naaa, it's ok - just a minor clash. Nothing to see here - move along.

http://fair.org/home/for-media-driving- ... s-a-clash/
There are times when things can be ambiguous, but after a person the police say “premeditatedly” rammed into a crowd of anti-racist protesters with a car, it’s fairly clear the anti-racist protesters aren’t to blame for the death. But one would hardly know this, reading these “clashes” framings.

Most of these articles would mention in the text (or later change the headline after social media backlash) to make it clear it was the anti-fascist protesters who were mowed down, but the initial instinct to obscure who did what to whom speaks to the pathological fear of placing blame on the far right.

I agree with Cruz the KKK and other racists are repulsive. But asking Jeff "I lied the KKK until they smoke pot " Sessions to investigate the riots is asking to much of him. The FBI should be the investigating agency. I know they are part of the DOJ,but they are also more independent. Sessions is the one that is gutting the civil rights division of the DOJ.

This just underscores what more thoughtful law enforcement agencies, The Southern Poverty Law Center, and others have known for some time, that the larger terrorist threat is from homegrown rightwing extremist groups. Those white power neo nazi bastards seem to feel this is their time, what with our great president - and other alt-right-minded turds - enabling them and all. I reckon they're mistaken.

I guess fighting nazis and their kind never really ends; it is a shame that it has to be so, but that's a battle worth fighting.

I've had family in WWII as well: A sailor on a German battleship, and an American submariner. Another grandpappy was in the Asian theater.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

JK Rpowling (author of the Harry Potter books) commented on Twitter "Hell of a day for the President to forget how to tweet with a picture of neo-nazis. https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/8 ... 6901833729

"A tweet from 'Large Adult Goat' about white privilege and Charlottesville goes viral"
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la ... story.html

Some video of the car going into the crowd and quickly reversing.
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-can ... ille-rally
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan