Re: Time for a dog picture thread?

Wino & YT, I went through parvo with one of my dogs. I never regret the money spent for one minute, even though it was hard at the time. I wish you and the dogs low vet bills and speedy recoveries.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wino wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:33 am
Wino wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am Meet Jake. Two YO Boxer male. Picked him up Friday. People moving and had four Boxers and wanted to give two males away as they did not get along. Lost my last Boxer about 18 months ago and had been searching for another these past few months. When they hit the newspaper or internet, they are gone in minutes. I was on line when the neighborhood web site popped up saying they had two Boxers needing home. I was second response, then 5, then 10th, then get a PM asking if I wanted to come see them. I dropped everything and headed their way. 40 minutes later, we're back in my driveway. The neighborhood post lasted 30 minutes, had about 35 responses, and that was it, both dogs adopted within an hour. Jake is having some issues without his menagerie and learning he's the sole king of the roost. Regardless, feels good to have a new friend and bud in the house.

Jake_05102019a.jpg
Damn!! Got call from my vet yesterday saying Jake tested positive for heartworms. Called previous owner to advise cause I was surprised as it appeared they took good care of the others they still have. They were surprised too, and plan to have their other Boxers checked. Jake's last test was August 2018 per their statement. I'm considering a new test next week to confirm as a false positive can happen although test lab said they had double checked results. We just started with the mosquitoes in my area and I keep all water buckets empty as soon as any mosquito activity before mature and he's only resided here since evening of May 8th.

Protocol is long and expensive starting with X-Rays of heart to check how bad the infection ($300), then anti-biotics; heartworm pills; separate flea/tick chews and some other crap - looking at about $1,500 +/- a bit. Checked pricing from vet versus what I can get on internet - price differential was astounding - told them I didn't live in The Dominion and would take prescriptions and do some shopping online. I usually use Revolution for flea/tick/heart/mite topical, but can't with heartworms so vet says.

On the other hand, no regrets - Jake has been a wonderful Boxer and slowly but positively making himself at home. He is sharp as a tack. Huge appetite, loving and curious. Just hope we can get thru this insidious disease in one piece.
Did retest today - same results - positive for heartworms. Vet estimates about 5-6 months. X-Rays show bulge on right side of heart and lungs show infection/irritation. Have ordered meds from Allivet - initial is 30 days of meds, then hospital for observation (2 days) when administering shots to kill the female worm(s) - this will be critical juncture. Four weeks of light to no exercise; repeat, wash, rinse - going to be a long 10 weeks - and expensive. I just thought I would finally fully retire by end of this year - not gonna happen. Too bad I'm so old - Jake is a real chick magnet - both vets I've gone to, all the techs, receptionist, assistance's can't keep their hands off him - and he's lovin' every minute of it!! :stupid:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Time for a dog picture thread?

I can’t keep silent any longer. One of these five week old Bullmastiff pups will be coming home with us in about three weeks. Then the serious socialization begins. Depending on how he develops, we will show him in conformation or obedience. We had a BM in the past and he was an astonishing dog.

I used to think Bulldog pups were the cutest but I am changing my opinion.

K9s wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 pm
GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm One of these puppies is ours in a month. We lost our beautiful, wonderful, amazing Baxter in January.
It is so hard to lose a dog. I hope the pup is wonderful and gives you a lot of joy.
thank you! it was horrible, and the timing of the new puppy couldn't be more perfect since our son is home this summer, and our daughter is living down the street until this fall. We thought the new one wouldn't arrive till September.
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm We're worried about our 13 year old Belgian Tervuren. She started stumbling, holding her head to the left and twitching eyes, not eating or drinking. Thought we were going to lose her to a stroke, but it's turned out to be vestibular syndrome, an inner ear problem. She's in intensive care for a few days but is slowly improving, sitting up and eating well and drinking. Luckily, most dogs make full a full recovery but may require maintenance, which we already are doing for other things. But it's tough. She's a very, sweet, loving animal.
How is she doing? If she doesn't improve take her for an MRI, if you can afford it. I'm feeling very gun-shy about this now after our dog's health saga.

Wino wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 pm
Wino wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:33 am
Wino wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am Meet Jake. Two YO Boxer male. Picked him up Friday. People moving and had four Boxers and wanted to give two males away as they did not get along. Lost my last Boxer about 18 months ago and had been searching for another these past few months. When they hit the newspaper or internet, they are gone in minutes. I was on line when the neighborhood web site popped up saying they had two Boxers needing home. I was second response, then 5, then 10th, then get a PM asking if I wanted to come see them. I dropped everything and headed their way. 40 minutes later, we're back in my driveway. The neighborhood post lasted 30 minutes, had about 35 responses, and that was it, both dogs adopted within an hour. Jake is having some issues without his menagerie and learning he's the sole king of the roost. Regardless, feels good to have a new friend and bud in the house.

Jake_05102019a.jpg
Damn!! Got call from my vet yesterday saying Jake tested positive for heartworms. Called previous owner to advise cause I was surprised as it appeared they took good care of the others they still have. They were surprised too, and plan to have their other Boxers checked. Jake's last test was August 2018 per their statement. I'm considering a new test next week to confirm as a false positive can happen although test lab said they had double checked results. We just started with the mosquitoes in my area and I keep all water buckets empty as soon as any mosquito activity before mature and he's only resided here since evening of May 8th.

Protocol is long and expensive starting with X-Rays of heart to check how bad the infection ($300), then anti-biotics; heartworm pills; separate flea/tick chews and some other crap - looking at about $1,500 +/- a bit. Checked pricing from vet versus what I can get on internet - price differential was astounding - told them I didn't live in The Dominion and would take prescriptions and do some shopping online. I usually use Revolution for flea/tick/heart/mite topical, but can't with heartworms so vet says.

On the other hand, no regrets - Jake has been a wonderful Boxer and slowly but positively making himself at home. He is sharp as a tack. Huge appetite, loving and curious. Just hope we can get thru this insidious disease in one piece.
Did retest today - same results - positive for heartworms. Vet estimates about 5-6 months. X-Rays show bulge on right side of heart and lungs show infection/irritation. Have ordered meds from Allivet - initial is 30 days of meds, then hospital for observation (2 days) when administering shots to kill the female worm(s) - this will be critical juncture. Four weeks of light to no exercise; repeat, wash, rinse - going to be a long 10 weeks - and expensive. I just thought I would finally fully retire by end of this year - not gonna happen. Too bad I'm so old - Jake is a real chick magnet - both vets I've gone to, all the techs, receptionist, assistance's can't keep their hands off him - and he's lovin' every minute of it!! :stupid:
This past three weeks has been tough on LGC dogs. How is Jake?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tomorrow, for Father's day, we're going to go try to help socialize a male Belgian Tervuren who was badly mistreated down in Texas and was sent up here to NJ by the rescue league to be fostered and taught how to be a dog.
But the problem is the vast majority of rescue leaguers are women so the dogs need to be exposed to men, who are usually bigger, more intimidating, louder with deep voices. From what we've seen, he's a nice dog who's learning but has a long way to go. Since our terv had a stroke in late May and is still recovering, unless they just take to each other, and to my son, we're just there to help.

Been rebuilding an old pool pump as the current pump seems to be about to eat its bearings. Just got to get the wiring straight and I can swap it in, and then do a bearing replacement job on this pump.
Also swapped a Netgear 6S router that has a constant series of problems--it's not the unit--everyone with them seems to have it and Netgear hasn't fixed it. So I stepped down to the 4S which is pretty much bullet-proof and we have running in our other home and our son's been running for 2 years as well.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

K9s - Jake doing fine. Meds (antibiotics and steroids) make him a bit lethargic and a bit of diarrhea. Hellacious appetite, which is forcing a change in kitchen garbage and recycle bins location and contents to prevent his dumpster diving. Otherwise, we are adjusting a bit each day. He now sleeps thru the night, potties before bed and sleeps a lot, which is good since he's not supposed to do anything strenuous while treated for heart worms. We're approaching half way mark with initial meds before the shots start to kill the female worms and will be the most critical area for Jake. Just had to bring him back in and block doggie door so he can't get out - he trapped something under AC base - cat, snake, rat or who knows what, which had him all agog.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:10 am K9s - Jake doing fine. Meds (antibiotics and steroids) make him a bit lethargic and a bit of diarrhea. Hellacious appetite, which is forcing a change in kitchen garbage and recycle bins location and contents to prevent his dumpster diving. Otherwise, we are adjusting a bit each day. He now sleeps thru the night, potties before bed and sleeps a lot, which is good since he's not supposed to do anything strenuous while treated for heart worms. We're approaching half way mark with initial meds before the shots start to kill the female worms and will be the most critical area for Jake. Just had to bring him back in and block doggie door so he can't get out - he trapped something under AC base - cat, snake, rat or who knows what, which had him all agog.
Steroids suck. My vet suggested giving pumpkin or green beans to help fill up our dog when he was on them, maybe your vet can make a similar recommendation. Best of luck with your dog, Wino.

K9s wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:14 am Good luck with helping to rehab the new Terv.
We had a lot of fun! He's basically a nice, intelligent dog who simply has been abused / feral and was starving when he was found. He's got a long way to go as he's learning how to be a dog (like the retired racing greyhounds) but responds. Dogs like to know what the rules are and he's got to learn them from start. He's "reactive" but responded to all of us very nicely. It helped that we keep Costco chicken breast packs for our 13 year old pup, and she cooked some up for treats--which we offered when we met him and he scarfed down. He's got an inherent sweetness and friendliness, but still has a long way to go. He doesn't really know how to approach other dogs, but our girl didn't automatically hate him and was very willing to like him. She's a total slut when it comes to meeting and getting petted by people but very particular and even persnickety when it comes to other dogs. And if she doesn't like another dog, she's quick to let you know!

BTW, she's doing much, much better but is still suffering the head tilt and not as sure on her feet as she used to be, especially on wood or tile floors. Carpet, grass, cedar decking all give her more traction. But she liked this other dog enough to forget her disabilities!

Something interesting, different, and fun to do on Father's Day.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm He looks terrific, even wearing "The Cone of Shame"!
He doesn't seem to think of it as shameful. More like antlers. He is 83 lbs, so he can pretend to be a "white tail deer" with the other dogs. He is doing much better than I thought he would.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt