Re: LG Cell and AT&T - Experience from Hell

Wino wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 pm
Wino wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 pm YT - come to my funeral - 1942 is my year of birth and I have one bottle of Don Julio 1942 set aside for that day. I'm drinking the other two before then. LOL
Sure! Just don't be dead! :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
Not sure I could pull that one off ! However, chances of me ever getting to NJ are slim to none, so if you're ever in SATX give me a shout and we'll shoot Tequila and guns, not necessarily in that order and as long as I'm on this side of dirt !! :laugh:
Same here! But it will be 1952 Rhum Clément! (though I'm born in 1955).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 pm Try Consumer Cellular. Their customer service is by far the best of any cell company I’ve been with: a *real* person answers the phone pretty quickly. Their rates are fair, and they piggy back on the ATT system so you can use the phone you already have. We’ve been with them for over 5 years now and couldn’t be happier.

https://consumercellular.com
I have relatives in OR who have Consumer Cellular and they are very happy with the service, they say it's been very reliable. Looks like it uses AT&T and T-Mobile networks, very good coverage.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 pm Try Consumer Cellular. Their customer service is by far the best of any cell company I’ve been with: a *real* person answers the phone pretty quickly. Their rates are fair, and they piggy back on the ATT system so you can use the phone you already have. We’ve been with them for over 5 years now and couldn’t be happier.

https://consumercellular.com
Cell still has to be unlocked from AT&T network before it can be used on CC, even though AT&T network is used by CC (& T-Mo).

I really just want nothing to do with AT&T if at all possible. I've had them for years and put up with their arrogance and fuck you attitude for years and this last go round was the last straw.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

This came from Fi with FedEx. Tracking which stated del. 2/14.

Just check again - it hasn't moved since 2/11.

shizen - any new input on service so far??
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I'd double check the tracking info with FedEx directly- Fi said one thing, FedEx said another. (I.E. it hadn't been picked up by FedEx yet in my case)

Service has been really good so far. WiFi calling seems to be better than it was on VZ, which I was hoping for, and the limited trips around town have also been good for calls and data service. Haven't gotten to rural areas yet, which may not be as good, but with the three carriers, I hope it's going to be at least decent. Enough so that I went ahead and got a backup modem for my wife's business and installed that yesterday along with a backup cell phone for when Comcast inevitably goes down for them on either internet or phone service.

Also, oddly my data usage seems to be way down compared to when I was on Verizon. Not sure if it's due to the way Fi routes stuff or what, but I'm not complaining, as it saves cash.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

FedEx rescheduled to 15th.

shinzen, promising report indeed. My AT&T signal at home is pretty poor - usually one-two bars, in suburban area, sometimes three. May have something to do with proximity to sendero with high voltage transmission lines about 150 yds. away. Hopefully, that will improve as I do have several dropped calls currently at odd times.

Wino wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am FedEx rescheduled to 15th.

shinzen, promising report indeed. My AT&T signal at home is pretty poor - usually one-two bars, in suburban area, sometimes three. May have something to do with proximity to sendero with high voltage transmission lines about 150 yds. away. Hopefully, that will improve as I do have several dropped calls currently at odd times.
Up here in Denton, north of Fort Worth, and some areas of Fort Worth more people have complaints of poor signals from AT&T system than Verizon. We have stayed with Verizon because before I retired I got a 20% discount through work and now my wife get the same through her work as a state employee.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Got FedEx about 6. Installed Fi SIMS. Said I'd have to wait 1-2 Days before useable - then get email from google saying it was good to go, then email from AT&T saying my number was no longer associated with them and to call if this was an error. Hope they don't hold their breath. Was a quick and smooth transition and so far working well - get 4-5 bars now vs. 1-3 with AT&T.

Have hit one glitch and not sure just how important it will be. My LG G6 phone, while compatible with Fi, apparently cannot use WiFi Calling. I cannot activate and it gives a network error, try again message, which is a vicious circle. Checking Fi web it seems only Fi made phones can utilize WiFi calling. My Wi-Fi connection is good 2.6 or 5G for browsing, but not sure what will happen when on road if can't use WiFi calling for better signal. Regardless, I'm off AT&T, so that's an improvement. I'm gonna be very disappointed if this wi-fi thingy doesn't sort out to the good.

To clear up - I can make phone calls and get messaging (text), but not Wi-Fi Calling - but not sure. LOL

The bold is my LG G6. Only able to use T-Mobile network - no Sprint, no U.S. Cellular and no Wi-Fi calling. Unless I buy one of THEIR phones, then you get the full Monty. It's the "designed for" vs "compatible" - they need to bring that out a bit more and/or I should have done a ton more digging - they don't put this out front on their web site.
Bring your own device
- Yes. Phones Designed for Fi support our network of networks, including Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular. Other phones Compatible with Fi support only our T-Mobile network. Learn more about compatible devices.
I'll ride this out to see what my bills look like over a couple of months and to take advantage of the $20 credit for shinzen referral link (so we both get it). It may turn out that I don't need the WiFi calling, but since that was part of the better service, along with three cellular networks, a bit disappointed. Googles Fi recommendation was to take $60 for trade-in of my $700 G6 and buy their LG G7 designed for Fi at $500 less another $200 for service - told them I'd pass, thank you very much! Hopefully it will work out.

At least I'm free of AT&T!!! :yahoo:

:clap2: Success at last! When you bring your own device (BYOD) which is an unlocked phone, have to check bands and wifi for compatibility. My current phone works fine it's 4G LTE with wifi, but when 5G rolls out I'll buy a new one.
T-Mobile and Nokia engineers completed the downlink transmission tests using global 5G standards in Spokane, Washington. The successful tests prove that low-band airwaves will provide 5G coverage across hundreds of square miles from a single tower. That stands in stark contrast to millimeter wave (mmWave) sites – which cover less than a square mile. Low band spectrum is essential for wide-area reach and reliable coverage that travels over distance, into buildings, and isn’t limited to line of sight. That broad coverage will be critical for bringing 5G to rural areas and powering mobile 5G applications, including IoT. T-Mobile is the only wireless provider building 5G on multiple spectrum bands, including low-band and millimeter wave, to ensure the benefits of 5G can reach everyone, and together with Sprint, the New T-Mobile will have critical mid-band spectrum to enable broad AND deep nationwide coverage.

T-Mobile is already well on their way to delivering nationwide 5G in 2020, deploying 5G-ready equipment as they roll out 600 MHz Extended Range LTE, which is already live in more than 1,500 cities and towns in 37 states and Puerto Rico.
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/first-600mhz-5g-test
First, schmirst. Every telecom company around the globe is working on a 5G network, and with the buzz and billions being spent on the new technology, the question of who’s first out of the gate becomes moot. The real question is: Which one will be best — and which one will be best for you?

But wait, what is 5G, anyway? The fifth generation of wireless networks, or 5G, has been nearly a decade in the making, and it’s finally becoming a reality. Promising dramatically faster speeds, instantaneous communication, and the ability to network everything, 5G has incredible potential. A limited rollout of the service began in select cities in 2018, and mobile 5G will start appearing in cities around the U.S. in 2019, with much more comprehensive rollouts expected in 2020. For its part, T-Mobile, worked diligently last year to build out a massive 5G network. And while it will not be able to claim the title of the first carrier to offer 5G, expect T-Mobile to light up its 5G network in cities across the country in 2019 — a network the company tested successfully in early January.

If you want all the details about T-Mobile’s next-generation mobile network, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s everything you need to know about the T-Mobile 5G rollout.
T-Mobile is the only carrier that has yet to announce any 5G consumer hardware. We do, however, expect to see at least a handful of phones from the carrier in 2019.

Despite that it hasn’t announced any true 5G device, the company revealed a range of devices that take advantage of T-Mobiles 600MHz frequency band. Most recently, the company announced the Coolpad Surf hotspot, which supports 4G LTE Bands 2,4, 12 and 66 and 3G Bands 1,2 and 4. While it is the 29th device that takes advantage of the frequency, it’s the first hotspot to do so. The hotspot is available for $3 per month for 24 months, and data plans start at $10 per month.

What we can almost certainly promise you will not see in 2019, or any time soon, is a T-Mobile 5G hotspot. T-Mobile CEO John Legere has publicly lambasted all of the other networks with their 5G pucks. And in December 2018, the Un-Carrier mocked AT&T’s newly announced pucks with an “AT&T 5Gish Puck Gift Guide.”
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/t- ... g-rollout/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

shinzen wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:29 am Oh shit, that's a bummer. I didn't realize the calls over wifi wasn't available for some models- I wound up getting a Pixel 3 since my old Samsung had a cracked screen, so didn't even look at that. Maybe look on Ebay or something?
Nor did I, not to mention the network thingy. I've been all over internet regarding a phone to use, but from all indications, unless bought from Google Fi, it will be deficient in some areas. It seems this is the norm for cell assholes, at least for Smart Phones. I bought several unlocked flip phones and never had a problem and all were fully functional. Checked T-Mobile site and their bring your own phone says Wi-Fi Calling will not work unless phone bought from T-Mobile - so guess I'm screwed no matter what I do.

Did get an email from Supervisor T.J. asking for more info. Sent him long missive which was a recap of this thread - expect he's thinking TMI !! LOL I don't expect any good results. I did ask him to tell Google FoIS to hurry up and wire my precinct so I could tell Spectrum to go pound sand.

I know one thing - I'm getting to old for this shit, or my patience with telcon, ISP's, etal is getting a bit thread bare. Also still having problems with new Quicken Home & Business backing up to my routers in home Cloud.

BTW, I still have the LG G6 replacement replacement in unopened shipping container and awaiting LG to finally realize they never got the original replacement returned. Nary a word from them to date. If I wasn't feeling so ornery and put upon, I'd probably return with a thank you note, but I'm not there yet!! :greedy:

Well, part of it is the bloatware that the carriers and manufacturers install- seems that SOME non-FI phones support wifi calling. The network switching thing I was aware of- that's a bit more specialized and requires the phone's software to be able to handle the network changes.

I suppose though, as long as the service is better at your house for calls, it could be worse.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Shinzen is the expert on telecomm, personally I'm looking forward to 5G and better rural coverage. I fear that TMOs merger with Sprint could be more expensive for all of us, but Sprint brings more bandwidth to the table which could be a good thing for both phone and internet service. Right now I have cable for internet, but 5G might be my best bet when it rolls out. From reports TMO has 30 cities wired for 5G we don't know all the cities beyond NYC and LA, but they haven't turn it on yet.

T.J. sent instructions to install Google 'Hangouts" and to use for Wi-Fi Calling. I'd tried that last night to no avail, but still followed his instructions to the 'T' and no joy. I expect this will be the end of my help on this matter. What I don't know is whether I'm using my Wi-Fi when browsing the net or if 4G - if the latter that would not be good.

At this point, not unhappy, just disappointed.

T.J. sent instructions to install Google 'Hangouts" and to use for Wi-Fi Calling. I'd tried that last night to no avail, but still followed his instructions to the 'T' and no joy. I expect this will be the end of my help on this matter. What I don't know is whether I'm using my Wi-Fi when browsing the net or if 4G - if the latter that would not be good.

At this point, not unhappy, just disappointed.