Re: Pocket Knives

It's a pocket knife. If it looks nice, I would worry about losing it myself.

What do you use it for in your daily life? Rope? Apples?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Just some of the folding knives I've collected over the years:
Top: CRKT SRT High Risk environment
Left: 2 Spidercos, a Delica and a Credit Card (not very useful but cool)
Right: 2 Gerber EZ-Outs, Big one is a 3" blade, 3 1/2" overall
Center: Frontier Double Eagle (thought it was an Old Timer but I was wrong). Broke the tip of the locking blade somewhere along the line, and ground it to compensate. Skinning blade doesn't lock.

The SRT is the meanest looking folding blade I own.

My EDC is a tiny Leatherman Squirt Ps4, not even 2" long, 3/4" wide, 3/8" thick. Since it's not a for self-defense it's very handy. Blade, file, scissors, 2 screw drivers, and a tiny but surprisingly tough and useful pliers.

Another GREAT EDC (if not for SD) is any folding razor knife. You can change blades, and it does everything a Stanley knife does, but it no bigger than any of the bigger ones in the picture. And if it breaks? (Which they hardly ever do) they are cheap to replace. The Depot sometimes sells them in packs of 3 and occasionally there's a smaller one with a down-sized replaceable blade.
folding knives.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 pm
K9s wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 pm It's a pocket knife. If it looks nice, I would worry about losing it myself.

What do you use it for in your daily life? Rope? Apples?
Rope, apples, boxes. Man should have a nice pocket knife...
LOL! I guess so. I tend to bang mine around so much that I keep my one nice looking one at home and barely use it . Bucklite folders are so light and sharp, they are my favorites. Easy one handed opening. They are not "nice looking", though.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Just one question: are you sure your city allows knife beyond 3" blade length? Not too long ago many municipalities and states imposed blade length restrictions, and some still do. Chicago is (was?) the worst with 2.5" limit.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Pocket knives-
The more expensive the blade, the more likely it is to be lost-or stolen by a friend who "borrows" it.
The bigger the knife, the heavier the knife and the less comfortable it is to carry.
One is never enough. You will wind up with several, each for a different purpose.
Sometimes, the cheap import is comfortable enough to be the one you carry everyday because it just does what you need, and if you lose it there is always another just like it at the store.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I've got a Kershaw with the assisted opening. Cheap, flat, light and functional. It's a Leak, Onion or Potato or some such name. I picked it up on the way to a camp out when I couldn't find my Benchmade 707. Of course, I found once I got home. A cheap nice is rarely as nice but you cry less when you lose it.

Pocket Knives

I have lost too many pricey knives. For that reason, for several years I carried Opinel carbone knives. Cheap, simple blade lock, and take a good edge. Simple device. One sharp blade in a comfy handle. If you lose one, you’re only out $15 or so.

Then I discovered Lagiole knives. I am putty in their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have carried different ones over the years, from little bitty ones to big ones that would not fit in my front pockets. I finally settled on the two inch Buck.
IMG_2500.jpeg

If you want a bigger buck then the 3.5 inch would be the one
IMG_2499.jpeg
This was my dad's given to him when he retired from General Dynamics Fort Worth.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Benchmade Arcane. While it doesn't look traditional, it's definitely not tactical. I categorize it as a gentleman's knife.
https://youtu.be/Ja5M1u_mUaU

Al Mar Eagle. It was 'tactical' back then, like the 60's. Today it looks classic. Some models even come with wood and bone scales.
https://youtu.be/CsojLBVzzYI

Boker Exskelibur. A modern but elegant gentleman's folder. Comes with Cocobolo and Ebony wood scales. Carbon fiber scales are also available.
https://youtu.be/m-L5mqrZ0lw

Boker Kwaiken. It has classic lines, Japanese classic lines to be exact. The blade shape actually works very well for tactical uses, but the entire knife is the furthest thing you can imagine from 'tactical'.
https://youtu.be/yvplwA1viq0

Boker Urban Trapper. Modern but slim and classy. Comes in naked titanium as well as G10, carbon fiber and Cocobolo.
https://youtu.be/88gLEt6LAlE

Maserin Gourmet. Made in Italy, enough said.
https://youtu.be/d8_cxiHDjKw

Fallkniven PCx. Modern but sturdy and classy. I have a soft spot for this Swedish knife manufacturer. They have a well deserved reputation for quality.
https://youtu.be/o9MCdYDKAOQ

Enzo Birk. Another classy Swedish folding knife. If Carbon Fiber is not your thing, the curly birch scales are pretty. One of the few folding knives available with a scandi grind, which makes it VERY sharp and especially suitable for woodworking / bushcraft tasks.
https://youtu.be/WAZTaxvKP9g
Last edited by Stiff on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

You have been looking for great all around utility pocket knife, with locking blade etc. Well here in Texas we have a new standard for the utility knife since the Legislature change the laws. :yahoo:

It is a knife that has a very well known history for about 200 years. It has been called upon to do just about any task and it has done them vey well. Here is a picture on one of the variants. It would even go well as an accessory to your guns, such as the Colt SAA, M1911, even the AR-15.
IMG_2502.jpeg
The K-Bar is a variant of the well know Bowie knife. It is legal to carry, at least in Texas. Using it as a pocket knife you need a deep pocket and expect comments along the Mae West Line about pockets and happy to see me. :D
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I still have my old Buck 3.5" lockback and holster. Also had a Camillus equal and a 2" Buck, lost to ex-wives. My big Buck has been most everywhere I've gone in life. However my favorite is the Camillus 2-Blade Electrician Lineman knife I've had for decades.

Aside to TrueTexan - Re GenDyn - My Uncle (mothers side) was a union machinist and my oldest brother was one of the B-58 Hustler design engineers prior to heading to Martin Missile in Denver. When visiting the area, my brothers home was in flight path of southern runway - we watched the B-58 test flights coming and going. Awesome plane.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I keep coming back to the Leatherman tools. Despite all the knives I have, I find I always reach for one of 3:
The Leatherman Skeletool, Leatherman Squirt, or a Husky folding razor knife.

And my keychain always has a Swiss-Tech Utili-key which has been through airport security probably 100 times and never once been questioned.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm Aside to TrueTexan - Re GenDyn - My Uncle (mothers side) was a union machinist and my oldest brother was one of the B-58 Hustler design engineers prior to heading to Martin Missile in Denver. When visiting the area, my brothers home was in flight path of southern runway - we watched the B-58 test flights coming and going. Awesome plane.
That is interesting. Dad was in the B-36 bomb groups at Carswell from 1948-50 then 1954-57 where the made Warrant Officer in 1957. We lived south of the runway for Carswell in West Fort Worth. When he retired at Little Rock AFB he was assistant Maintenance Supervisor for the A&E squadron for the 43rd bomb wing with the B-58s. Later was in the F-111 program and F-16 program at GenDyn.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:04 pm I keep coming back to the Leatherman tools. Despite all the knives I have, I find I always reach for one of 3:
The Leatherman Skeletool, Leatherman Squirt, or a Husky folding razor knife.

And my keychain always has a Swiss-Tech Utili-key which has been through airport security probably 100 times and never once been questioned.
I agree. I have Leatherman and the Husky razor. I also love my Ka-Bars. The bucklite folder and fixed are my favorite to carry now. I use them all, though.

I went through a blade phase and have all I would ever need. One nice thing about living in the US is the choices available.

I have also found that the 99 cent folders in the Walmart camping area are worth far more than 99 cents in value. I use those to cut stuff that will dull my nice blades and gunk them up with hard to clean gunk. I keep one in the car for stuff like that.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt