Re: 2019 Women's World Cup

I had trouble watching - until they were two up. Wonderful win. No better poke in the eye to our fearless leader.

FDT / ABT
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

:clap: Terrific game !
Fifa president Gianni Infantino wants to increase the size of the Women's World Cup to 32 teams and double its prize money, and launch a women's Club World Cup. After calling the ongoing tournament in France "the best women's World Cup ever", Infantino set out a five-point plan to make sure football "seizes this opportunity". Bidding for the 2023 tournament - which has yet to be allocated and was set to contain 24 sides - may have to restart to accommodate the extra teams.

Infantino also said the world governing body wants a women's World League for national sides - similar to the Uefa Nations League - which would include promotion and relegation. He also plans to double a planned $500m (£400m) investment in women's football in the next four years, saying Fifa has unprecedented levels of reserves and "we don't need all that money in Swiss banks - they have enough".

This year's World Cup has seen record TV audiences in the UK and beyond, with Infantino keen to capitalise on the success of the tournament by expanding it from 2023. Prize money for the 2019 World Cup was doubled to $30m (£24m) but will go up to $60m (£48m) for the next tournament. The 2018 men's World Cup in Russia had a total fund of $400m (£320m), with winners France taking home $38m (£30m). "It's a great thing, this World Cup, but then people forget, they do other things. It's our job to make sure that they don't forget and we don't just say: 'See you in four years,'" said the 49-year-old Swiss-Italian.

"That's why I propose to the Fifa council and to all our members - who have to embrace the development of women's football. "We have already more than doubled the prize money for the World Cup this year, but we will double it again for the next world Cup - I am very confident that we can do that. "We will have to act quickly to decide if we are to increase it for 2023. If we do, we should reopen the bidding process to allow everyone to have a chance or maybe co-host. Nothing is impossible."

The Club World Cup has existed in men's football since 2000. The winners of the Champions League face continental champions from Africa, Asia, Oceania and North and South America. Liverpool will take part in this year's competition, set to be played in Qatar in December. The Fifa president believes the first women's event could be played in 2020. "I would like to propose a Club World Cup for women, starting as soon as possible," he said. "A real Club World Cup. We can only develop national football if we develop club football as well. "It can be played every year to expose clubs all over the world. Clubs would invest even more in women's football to shine on the world stage."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48885876
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yea Women’s Team USA on their win.

Rapinoe said she and many of the team aren’t going to the White House I expect Trump to throw a snit and not invite any of them. I would expec him to say they disrespected him as president so they don’t deserve to be invited.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:47 pm Yea Women’s Team USA on their win.

Rapinoe said she and many of the team aren’t going to the White House I expect Trump to throw a snit and not invite any of them. I would expec him to say they disrespected him as president so they don’t deserve to be invited.
Trump already invited them - regardless of whether they won or not. I suspect he will now un-invite them if they will be no shows - can't have his fragile and juvenile ego dented. :roflmao:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

K9s wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:03 pm Yeah, waiting for djt to take credit for the win. Tweet coming soon....
I'd expect he would say that their dislike of him gave them extra incentive to win - and he would probably have a valid point in that thinking - except, he doesn't have the fortitude to speak the truth so it will go unsaid. :laugh:

FDT / ABT

Have noticed a bit of ignoring the women soccer win on one of the gun sites I frequent. Not one mention of the games at all and nothing on the win. This from site that believes they are super patriots - but ignore most everything if any negative comments made about their fearless dick of a president. Amusing and sad.

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am The men were beaten by Mexico. Who pays? >giggle< Not much press, eh.

CDFingers
The USA women's team is ranked #1 in the world and the USA men's team is ranked #30 in the world. Expanding the women's world cup to more countries means more competition and the legendary USA team is aging, hope coach Jill Ellis stays for many years.
https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... table/men/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am
CDFingers wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am The men were beaten by Mexico. Who pays? >giggle< Not much press, eh.

CDFingers
The USA women's team is ranked #1 in the world and the USA men's team is ranked #30 in the world. Expanding the women's world cup to more countries means more competition and the legendary USA team is aging, hope coach Jill Ellis stays for many years.
We have a lot of good young talent. Dunn (27) was impressive (though sloppy in earlier games). Mewis (26) had an amazing last game. Dahlkemper (26) is solid on the defense. Pugh (20) did well when she played. I'd argue that Lavelle (24) may be our best player, though inexperienced. She really shined. Ertz is only 27. O Hara, Morgan, Press and Heath probably have another cup in them to take over leadership. We'll be fine. Our men's team is another matter... ;)

featureless wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am

CDFingers
We have a lot of good young talent. Dunn (27) was impressive (though sloppy in earlier games). Mewis (26) had an amazing last game. Dahlkemper (26) is solid on the defense. Pugh (20) did well when she played. I'd argue that Lavelle (24) may be our best player, though inexperienced. She really shined. Ertz is only 27. O Hara, Morgan, Press and Heath probably have another cup in them to take over leadership. We'll be fine. Our men's team is another matter... ;)
USA women's team does have some good younger players and as long as Jill Ellis and Dawn Scott are around they'll keep their perfectly oiled machine running. American football drains so much potential talent and resources from MLS, if there was a woman's NFL they'd experience the same thing.

K9s wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm
featureless wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am Our men's team is another matter... ;)
Yet another good argument for immigration. :D
Maybe an offer of citizenship beside great salaries to top players in the Premier League; Real Madrid; Barcelona; Juventus; Milan; Bayern Munchen; Paris....it would give a shot in the arm to MLS clubs and the national USA Team. :hmmm:

highdesert wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm
K9s wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm
featureless wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am Our men's team is another matter... ;)
Yet another good argument for immigration. :D
Maybe an offer of citizenship beside great salaries to top players in the Premier League; Real Madrid; Barcelona; Juventus; Milan; Bayern Munchen; Paris....it would give a shot in the arm to MLS clubs and the national USA Team. :hmmm:
Now that is something the GOP would like. Citizenship to the wealthy.

I was thinking about the refugee kids.

Both together could be a bipartisan compromise, though.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt