Bees love cannabis

Duuuuude.....

We identified all bee visitors to the species level and found that hemp supported 16 different bee species. Landscape simplification negatively impacted the abundance of bees visiting hemp flowers but did not affect the species richness of the community. Plant height, on the other hand, was strongly correlated with bee species richness and abundance for hemp plots with taller varieties attracting a broader diversity of bee species. Because of its temporally unique flowering phenology, hemp has the potential to provide a critical nutritional resource to a diverse community of bees during a period of floral scarcity and thereby may help to sustain agroecosystem-wide pollination services for other crops in the landscape.

--snrps--

Conclusion

Hemp is a high pollen producing crop flowering during a period of floral resource scarcity and supports a diverse array of bees in the northeastern U.S. landscape. The rapid expansion of hemp production in the United States (Schluttenhofer and Yuan 2017) may have significant implications for agroecosystem-wide pollination dynamics.
https://academic.oup.com/ee/advance-art ... 41/5634339

I can't imagine all the new products that might come out of this. Gives new meaning to getting one's hand caught in the honey jar. "It's alive, man--won't let go."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Bees love cannabis

“Dave?...Dave’s not here!”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Bees love cannabis

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:03 am Um, the busy bees doing the work aren't "dudes"....only the drones are "dudes".

But I do wonder what cannabis / hemp honey will taste like...
Since it's industrial hemp with a less than 0.3 THC, it's not enough to have psychotropic effects on most people. Marijuana producers grow indoors to avoid pollination by hemp, because hemp is self pollinating and a prolific pollen producer. Commercial honey is an amalgam of different sources of pollen, so you wouldn't even taste a difference. I doubt you could even taste it in local honeys that claim a 'terroir'. I've been researching CBD honey because I plan to make some when I harvest from my hives this year.