Leupold 'Deltapoint'

I've an opportunity to buy one of these, used, for $200 and change:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (110.51 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ ... ex-sights/
I don't know squat about them other than Leupold has a good reputation for high quality optics.

The one in question comes with a 'cross slot'. I don't know what that is, but I imagine that to affix it to a handgun (which is what I would intend to do with it...the thing is really small, the photo makes it look big) I would need to acquire the proper mounting hardware.

$200 is not an amount I take lightly.

If anyone is familiar with this thing, I would love to hear what you think...
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Re: Leupold 'Deltapoint'

I'll buy it if you don't that is one of the best micro red dot/ holographs there is.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Even though the opportunity to buy a busted one is long gone, I still harbor thoughts about sticking one of these on a .40 SIG 229.

That I am writing about it rather than just doing it means that I am quite uncertain whether a red dot (triangle in this case) is truly of any use on a handgun intended for 'home defense'.

Does anyone have any experience with a reflex sight on a handgun that they would be willing to share?
We Are So Screwed

I recently installed an Ultradot on my TRR8. It is a traditional tube sight rather than the "heads up" style, but sighting is similar.

At defense distances there is no advantage to the tube style. Tubes take over for accuracy at longer ranges. Dot (or triangle) sights make two eye focus on the target much easier. Lasers have an advantage for holding the gun out of the sight line, dot sights have the advantage (IMO) for visual clarity and uses other than defense. Dot sights definitely resolve the issues associated with aging eyes and iron sights.

I've handled and looked through the Leupold you started the thread with. It is a very nice sight. I have never fired a gun so equipped.

I can make tin cans dance with almost every shot at 25 yards with my Ultradot.

Can you find a local rental that is equipped with a red dot? You are more than welcome to shoot my gun, but gas money for the trip would buy you a nice sight.

The biggest difference between cheap and expensive in this arena seems to be reliability.

well...okay...we'll see. i bought one this afternoon...need to get a proper mount for it. so happens that Leupold is a local company and they'll have one in 'will call' for me on Friday...which is fine because the sight pusher i ordered probably won't be here until then....

nice thing is that I can see the triangle pretty well sans spectacles, which was my whole idea. sure is a dinky little thing though.
We Are So Screwed

okay...

i sighted it in at 25 feet after playing around with a laser bore sighter. then for shits and giggles i ran the a target out to about 15 - 20 yards...

i think i am pulling to the left a little.
1.jpg
i don't have to rack my head back in the slightest (to use the portion of my glasses that permits me to focus on distances where the front sight would be)...in fact the target on the left i shot without any glasses at all.

i think i will keep it.
We Are So Screwed

Fukshot wrote:Yeah. I think that's working for ya there. :lol: You've developed quite the hand skills trying to make up for your crappy eyes.

Just wear whatever you'd wear to see the target. Focus on the target and put the sight on top of it.
I've always had steady hands, just can't see worth a shit up close...out to about arm's length. Now i don't have to...sorta.
We Are So Screwed

Leupold is great gear, I loved my Rogue binoculars until I lost them on a job. :-(

One of those would look great on the old G-21. Unfortunately. :weep: :happy:
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.