Is there a cheap yet good red dot?

I know, but I'd like to know the least expensive decent red dot. Application is on my VZ-24 based 7x57 carbine. I'm going to have the stock military irons put on the new barrel since it's mil step (4" or so shorter, but still) and was thinking about getting a S&K scout mount for the rear sight and would like to put a red dot on there.

Any thoughts?

A decent inexpensive LER 2x would probably be ok too.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Is there a cheap yet good red dot?

Primary Arms has a great reputation for both their inexpensive RDS and CS, namely their Micro clone. https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sights_s/190.htm

I've ordered several items from PA and have been very satisfied with their service and the quality of their products. They've answered all my emails right away and are always available and active in most of the major firearms forums.

Also look into both the Vortex Strikfire (red dot only, not red/green) and the Vortex Sparc. They're not only rugged, but are back by a really good lifetime warranty.

The Bushnell TRS-25 is also very popular, specially with the AK crowd. I personally would favor the PA or Sparc due to both companies' reputation for good CS.

If the RDS is going to be for serious use, I suggest looking into used Aimpoint or Eotech from the classified sections of any of the major firearms forums.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

I have a couple of Primary Arms scopes which are excellent. I've never tried one of their red dot scopes, but I once bought a used rifle with a BSA red dot scope on it for a bargain price. When I got it home and tried to shoot it I realized the seller sold it cheaply because he thought it was a wildly inaccurate rifle. That red dot had such awful parallax that it was worse than useless.

commandZee wrote:Also look into both the Vortex Strikfire (red dot only, not red/green) and the Vortex Sparc. They're not only rugged, but are back by a really good lifetime warranty.
Could you expand on the red vs. red/green issue? I recently got the Strikefire red/green dot, and I'm not thrilled with the dot image (more of a squiggle than a dot). Is this a typical issue? Can it be fixed?

MtnMan wrote:
commandZee wrote:Also look into both the Vortex Strikfire (red dot only, not red/green) and the Vortex Sparc. They're not only rugged, but are back by a really good lifetime warranty.
Could you expand on the red vs. red/green issue? I recently got the Strikefire red/green dot, and I'm not thrilled with the dot image (more of a squiggle than a dot). Is this a typical issue? Can it be fixed?
Nothing major, just that in lots of the user reviews people report the red/green version to not be bright enough and washes out in very bright sunlight. IIRC, it was because of this that Vortex came out with the "red only" Strikefire.

From reading on the subject, the squiggle or pixelated view many of us see is usually due to astigmatism, even just a slight case of it is enough to cause the phenomenon. Most suggest that concentrating on the target instead of the dot and turning the dot's intensity to where its just enough to be visible will help.

IMO, its also worth a shot to email Vortex just in case it isn't your own vision causing the problem, who knows you might get lucky and they'll swap it for the red only sight.

If it makes you feel better, unless I'm using a magnifier, I too see a squiggle or pixelated reticle when using a RDS. I haven't gotten my eyes checked in a long time, but I've notice it hasn't been a perfect 20/20 for the past several years now.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

Just to add a +1, I've been researching for far into the future (don't even have a carbine to put one on yet), and have read a lot of good reviews on the Vortex models mentioned. The only negatives I've read is that it's easy to accidentally turn it on (while in its case, etc.) But they have automatic 6-hr shutdowns. Tough on batteries, though. One option is to take the battery out when not in use. Also, the night vision selector is in a position where it might get accidentally turned on. If your dot disappears and you think your battery is dead or the optic broken, always check to see if the nv button has been pushed. Of the reviews I read, most consider the 2X magnifier a nice addition; but they seldom get used.

Also, I don't know your interpretation of "cheap," but the Strikefire (4 MOA) goes for around $165; the Sparc (2 MOA) about $200. YMMV.

Compared to Aimpoint or Eotech, that's cheap. Compared to Tasco or TruGlo; not so much.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

I put a BSA red green blue on my 10/22 and for me it is no good at all ! I wear no line bifocals, so with the glasses on I get an egg shaped dot and when I take glasses off I see two dots, on the other hand, two of my sons can take a quarter size bulls eye out at 25 yards they love it. I took it off and put a tasco scope on and it works good for me, I would suggest you try one before you buy one........

I've had some cheap no name red dots that weren't worth a damn, so I tend to spend a little more to get something recommended. You can get a lot of good for around $100. I wouldn't spend too much less though given my personal experience.

I'm going to give another +1 for the Primary Arms Aimpoint clones. That plus a magnifier cost less than the used Eotech XPS2 I picked up, and I generally like the PA sight better.

I'm also pretty satisfied with my Sightmark Ultra reflex sight on my .22lr. Probably higher quality than the 22 needs, but I'd recommend it as well. It feels well built.

Lastly, seeing a bit of the BSA naysaying, I have a BSA red dot I bought about 12 years ago for a paintball gun that still holds zero on my Saiga 12 (well, as zeroed as a scattergun can be at least).

The most bang for the buck i have found is the burris fastfire 2. It is waterproof, auto variable under different light conditions and is available with protective "ears" to keep it from getting banged around. The eotech has awkward buttons that are not intuitive especially in the dark not to mention the sight ring around the center dot obscures the target especially when tracking a moving target. The burris has a single small dot visible in bright daylight. It might not qualify exactly as cheap at 175.00 or so, but it's less than half the price of the aimpoint and the neglible size and weight it adds to your weapon is insignificant and keeps handling the same as with stock iron sights.

I'll throw another cheapie in the mix that's been decent for me so far- next one will probably be the primary arms, but I picked up a couple of the UTG Red/Green dots a few months back, one for my SKS and the other for my AR. Only had the AR out once since it just came in, but I've had the SKS out a few times and it seems to hold up pretty well, and I like the green dot option a lot for outdoor use, has the flip up lens covers and five levels of brightness for each color, adjustments seem solid.

Amazon for $35 ish.
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Sight-Integ ... +red+green

It's certainly not top of the line, but it's a cheap way to get your feet wet, and it's pretty clear- have to make sure you put your cheek in the same place every time though for sure.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Fukshot wrote:
shinzen wrote: have to make sure you put your cheek in the same place every time though for sure.
Isn't part of the point of dot sights that you don't have to do that?
On the parallax free ones sure- In fact I may delay my next purchase enough to be able to afford one that has that since my current ones do the trick, perhaps an aimpoint, but it's a whole different price point than looking for cheap red dot.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Doc wrote:I'm about to buy a Trijicon RMR dual-power amber triangle micro scope. Specs look good on paper and the reviews are good, so I'm taking a punt.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a review once you've got it on!
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
Doc wrote:I'm about to buy a Trijicon RMR dual-power amber triangle micro scope. Specs look good on paper and the reviews are good, so I'm taking a punt.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a review once you've got it on!
Will do!

If he's interested, I may also do a short write-up for my mate's site, here:
http://russianoptics.net/aksu.html since this will be going on my aks74u.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.