Best scope for an AR-15

Lots of companies make AR specific scopes. I liked the leupold I had on mine.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: Best scope for an AR-15

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IMBEPMCMAQ#

I have this one on mine. I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt in McKinney for about $159ish.

It does what I wanted, which is to be able to see the target at 50 yrds. I think some new glasses might have helped almost as much. Its easy to focus and has a lighted dot that will suck the battery when you leave it on for a few days. The common battery replacement is about $2.

I have a truglow red dot mounted on the top and the height lets me use it without hunching over and squinting.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

LibShooter wrote:I'm thinking of putting a "tactical" scope on my AR-15. Do any of you have any ideas about this?
What distances are you shooting at? Are you looking for bench-shooting, bullseye accuracy or practical minute-of-varmint accuracy? Do you want bullet drop compensation? Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it, or just range fun? :D

Simmer down wrote:http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IMBEPMCMAQ#

I have this one on mine. I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt in McKinney for about $159ish.

It does what I wanted, which is to be able to see the target at 50 yrds. I think some new glasses might have helped almost as much. Its easy to focus and has a lighted dot that will suck the battery when you leave it on for a few days. The common battery replacement is about $2.

I have a truglow red dot mounted on the top and the height lets me use it without hunching over and squinting.
Very nice. What kind of "eye relief" (how far from your eye to the scope) are you getting?

I might get one of those for my new Mini-14!

MtnMan wrote:
LibShooter wrote:I'm thinking of putting a "tactical" scope on my AR-15. Do any of you have any ideas about this?
What distances are you shooting at? Are you looking for bench-shooting, bullseye accuracy or practical minute-of-varmint accuracy? Do you want bullet drop compensation? Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it, or just range fun? :D
Awh just fuck you, MtnMan. LOL LOL LOL "Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it ...." Hmmm ... on second thought, that does sound like fun. LOL LOL

Most of the ranges around here (DFW area), that I know of, max out at 100 yards; however, in the event I come across one that is set up for 400 to 500 yards, what kind of scope should I be looking at and roughly how much will it likely cost.

LibShooter wrote:
MtnMan wrote:
Awh just fuck you, MtnMan. LOL LOL LOL "Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it ...." Hmmm ... on second thought, that does sound like fun. LOL LOL

Most of the ranges around here (DFW area), that I know of, max out at 100 yards; however, in the event I come across one that is set up for 400 to 500 yards, what kind of scope should I be looking at and roughly how much will it likely cost.
That Burris Duke posted looks like a good bet. I really like Nikon.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

LibShooter wrote:Awh just fuck you, MtnMan. LOL LOL LOL "Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it ...." Hmmm ... on second thought, that does sound like fun. LOL LOL
Well, you did use the code word tactical. That's not a term that people throw around loosely. :lol:

For the longer ranges you mentioned, I would definitely want higher mag (12 or 14x) and an adjustable objective for parallax correction.

MtnMan wrote:
LibShooter wrote:Awh just fuck you, MtnMan. LOL LOL LOL "Is this for a blackops mission critical to the survival of the free world as we know it ...." Hmmm ... on second thought, that does sound like fun. LOL LOL
Well, you did use the code word tactical. That's not a term that people throw around loosely. :lol:

For the longer ranges you mentioned, I would definitely want higher mag (12 or 14x) and an adjustable objective for parallax correction.
When using the word tactical, I was sort of kidding (and I think you picked up on that) but not entirely. When I think "tactical", I'm thinking from an ex-cop's perspective. From what I've read, most police SWAT sniper shots are far less than 500 yards ... actually they're typically between 70 and 100 yards. What I was looking for in a "tactical" scope was perhaps more aesthetic in nature. For example, I kind of like the looks of a scope with a larger Objective Bell (housing a larger Objective Lens for more light intake) and I also like the sight picture in that Mil Dot recticle; HOWEVER, as a result of our conversation, I did a little research and I think I'll back way the hell away from any tactical stuff due to price. Many of the scopes that "look" good to me also cost a hell of a lot more than I'm willing to pay.

I also had a chat with the Gun Smith at the range where I shoot and he said, given that my AR-15 has a carrying handle, I'd probably need to swap out my upper receiver and replace it with a flat top and then mount my scope. Otherwise, the scope would sit too high for practical use.

Fuck it, I'll just stay with the iron sights on my AR-15. LOL

I have a Leupold Vari 11 3X9-50mm scope sitting atop my 7MM Rem Mag and I think I'll get my long range shooting cookies using that rig. (I've hit mule deer an a tad over 300 yards using it.)

Thank, again, for your input, though.

LibShooter wrote:I also had a chat with the Gun Smith at the range where I shoot and he said, given that my AR-15 has a carrying handle, I'd probably need to swap out my upper receiver and replace it with a flat top and then mount my scope. Otherwise, the scope would sit too high for practical use.
Oops, that's a wrench in the works. I agree, stick to irons... like Eugene Stoner intended.

This is the guy to ask about the tactical look: :D

Best scope for an AR-15

Then why did stoner put a hole in the carry handle?
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Best scope for an AR-15

An m16 with an old anpvs starlight scope is one bad ass looking weapon.

—Joe Strummer

For shooting an AR-15 or any other .223 rifle at the longer distances, Simmons's Whitetail Classic from MidwayUSA seems to be a pretty good option. It is 6.5-20x50 and usually is on sale at $109 for the std. Duplex reticle, and $129 for the Mil-Dot reticle. The 50mm objective lens is adjustable, and the focus is sharp even at 20x. The Mil-Dot reticle is calibrated for the 14x setting. The scope works very well on Mini-14's.

For closer ranges, just use the irons, or if you're going for MOA-type shooting at 100 yards and want Leupold quality, consider a Redfield 3-9x50.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

MtnMan wrote:
LibShooter wrote:I also had a chat with the Gun Smith at the range where I shoot and he said, given that my AR-15 has a carrying handle, I'd probably need to swap out my upper receiver and replace it with a flat top and then mount my scope. Otherwise, the scope would sit too high for practical use.
Oops, that's a wrench in the works. I agree, stick to irons... like Eugene Stoner intended.

ROTFLMAO

OldCrow wrote:Tactical, another word for how much expensive but useless crap you can hang off your gun.
Depends on who is running the Carbine Course. 'Less is More' seems to be the new lesson plan. ;) I'll have a pair of rails on mine, one for the AFG2 and the other for a temporary BSA r/g/b Dot on the carry handle. The BSA will change out for a Primary Arms Micro as soon as Marshall gets more in stock and will probably go onto whatever 10/22 I get.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I have a 1600 lumen light on my shotgun. That is as tactical as I am going to get. The light is effective. I got it on ebay. They were cheap so I bought two. One I use to walk my dog at night. My neighbors thought it was an emergency responder. The strobe setting will blind almost anyone. They have a one inch tube - allows you to use a scope mount to attach it to an AR.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

If you can find one a Beeman SS2L is a great scope and looks fantastic on an AR.

I love mine.

—Joe Strummer

MtnMan wrote:

Holy shit, I think I lost IQ listening to that guy. Plus, who would want to carry all that crap into combat?
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers