40mm vs 50+mm for low light scope

Being in the market for a 3x9 hunting scope, one that would primarily be used for night hogs, I found myself pondering the delta between a 40mm and 50-56mm objective. In theory, bigger is better. However, I'm wondering what this will mean in the real world. While it can theoretically gather more light, a larger objective adds:
- Cost
- Weight
- Height (higher from the barrel is always worse)

I pretty much settled on the Leupold VX-R series, which meant that there were 40 & 50mm versions of the scope that I wanted. So, I emailed Leupold to get the straight scoop from the horse's mouth. I mentioned that my application was nighttime of very near nighttime hunting. What they said was:
1. There is very little difference (negligible) in the light-gathering performance of those two optics
2. If someone is over 40 (and I am just over 40), the user's pupils will not dilate enough to take advantage of any of this additional light that might be gathered.

Good to know... I hate having huge scopes on my rifles. But it's depressing to find yet another thing that I can't do, because of my age... LOL

Thoughts?
"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts. I support them. I won't chip away at them."
– Mitt Romney in a 2002 gubernatorial debate

Re: 40mm vs 50+mm for low light scope

I have a 1600 lumen light light mounted on my SD shotgun. I don't see how the scope will be a factor. You can get a 2,00,000 candlepower rechargeable spotlight at family dollar for $10. I would acquire lighting before worrying about the scope. You might find that a red dot will be more than adequate. I got my 1600 lumen light off ebay for less than $40 it includes 2 rechargeable batteries. if your gun has a rail you can use a scope ring to mount the light it has a one inch tube.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Re: 40mm vs 50+mm for low light scope

That might be true of the VX-R, but it's not necessarily true of all models of riflescope. There's definitely a noticeable difference between, say, a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 and 3-9x50, just as the sun's coming up or at dusk. For that reason, I went with the 3-9x50 in the Revolution line.

Have a look yourself if you can, before you buy. Your own eyes will tell you if it makes sense for you.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/