Red dots for Redhawks?

SRH 44mag.jpg
I don't care for this scope so I took it off soon after I got the gun. I was thinking what a swell accessory a red dot would be.

Does anyone know any mounting combo to use to do that? I'd hate to drill & tap for a short rail but that would be the simplest answer.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Red dots for Redhawks?

KimberGal wrote:How is that scope currently mounted to the barrel? That is, what kind of attachment points already exist?

Edit: How about using a Ruger-to-Weaver base adaptor?

I have a Weaver-mount NCStar red-dot as part of a scope/sight combo for my black gun.
There you go!

I googled around for something but the ruger>weaver is it.

The top of the barrel has cut outs for the scope rings to grab. Very neat and clean but I just can't seem to line my eye up with the scope. Its more like a kaleidoscope. I had a red dot on my AR that was effortless to point and aim.

Fukshot wrote:Are those 30mm or 1 inch rings? You could just use the existing rings, no?

also: http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 16&t=19797

I'm selling my barely used Ultradot.
Yes, its the same size, 1", but I'm looking for less of a tube to squint through and more for a low reflex red dot. Now that I know what to call the adapter I think I can shop for the red dot.

Mason should snap that up for his yet to be bought Big Wheel Gun.

I got a red dot that did 4, 8, 12 and 16, not knowing what I was going to like. I almost always used the 4, but the 8 was better for faster work. The larger dots would be good for circular targets as an alignment tool.

I'm guessing that you're astigmatic, which makes the dots flare off one or two spots rather than appear completely round. I am. I found the smaller dots less troublesome in this regard.

WP_20130330_002[1].jpg
This is the Weigand mount. Its snug and low. Next chore is to narrow down a reflex red dot.

C-Mores are in the $200 area and have variable dot sizes.
Tru glo are about $135 and worked fine on my AR
I looked at the Leupold Deltapoint after the mention of Rolandson's. These are a little over $400.

Besides not being made out of plastic crap, holding a zero, and not sucking down batteries, what factors should I consider?

Sightmark 1.jpg
Sightmark 2.jpg
Sightmark3.jpg
I picked a SightMark because it was the only under $450 set-up that specified it could deal with hard recoil. Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV QD (it sounds so damn cool :roll: ) It came with a rubberized tea-cozy thang when I'm operating in cold drizzle.

This would be the perfect companion to that tactical level gun. It has both a red laser and a reflex red dot. It's big and has buttons and knobs. The lever on the left lets you pop it on and off the rail and supposedly remains zeroed. The laser switch is the oval button on the right, down for on, up for off.

The red dot is a little loosey-goosey. The knob on the left side controls off/on and brightness. Center bottom has a lever that lets you scroll through 4 reticle patterns. There in't any click that centers the pattern and it looks like it would just wander left and right. We'll see.

I need to sneak off to the range and see how wonderful this thing is. I thought I'd set the laser for far and the red dot for up close. For offensive and defensive work :ninja:

Mason wrote:
Fukshot wrote:Is that thing as huge as it looks?
Huge and uglying the fuck outta that otherwise fine wheel gun. It better make it shoot like laser to put up with that.
:roflmao:
Gotta agree with that statement. It better make for some amazing groups!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Its pretty damn big. I saw some eotechs and they were 3" or more across. I had a truglo on the 223 that was small. I found a YouTube were a guy puts a truglo on a ruger 454 and it tears everything loose and mangles the housing in 15-20 shots. This sightmark is solid and big. I'm counting on the surgical accuracy to make up for the bizarre look.