spotting scope recommendations

OK, I admit it, I'm old. When shooting at any distance with 22, I can tell hits from misses. Dirty Birds help, but don't do shit for me after 30 yards.

I need a good spotting scope for range use. It needs to be used from 20 to 100 yards. It would be nice if I could use it for whale watching and star-gazing, but that's just icing.

So in addition to being old, I'm cheap. I really don't want to pay more han $60, and I'm only justifying that expense because it will allow me to print my own targets.

Used is fine and I don't need a tripod or case. It doesn't need to be water-proof or have rails or any other tacitcal crap. But it does need to be glasses-friendly...I'd need the fucking Hubble to see the far-end of the range without my specs.

Thanks!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: spotting scope recommendations

Been kicking around the idea of one of these myself- my local outdoor range has them on each bench, but not sure which brand they use. The Barska looks like it's about the only one in that price range- can pick a used one up on Amazon for $60- the cheaper one doesn't get great reviews past 50 yards.

http://www.amazon.com/CO11502-20-60x60- ... 135&sr=1-3
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:OK, I admit it, I'm old. When shooting at any distance with 22, I can tell hits from misses. Dirty Birds help, but don't do shit for me after 30 yards.

I need a good spotting scope for range use. It needs to be used from 20 to 100 yards. It would be nice if I could use it for whale watching and star-gazing, but that's just icing.

So in addition to being old, I'm cheap. I really don't want to pay more han $60, and I'm only justifying that expense because it will allow me to print my own targets.

Used is fine and I don't need a tripod or case. It doesn't need to be water-proof or have rails or any other tacitcal crap. But it does need to be glasses-friendly...I'd need the fucking Hubble to see the far-end of the range without my specs.

Thanks!

I had two "cheap" spotting scopes & was disappointed by both of them. :yikes:
I'd advise looking thru several models to see which might be acceptable to your needs to avoid disappointment. :beer2:
Merle from PA

shinzen wrote:Been kicking around the idea of one of these myself- my local outdoor range has them on each bench, but not sure which brand they use. The Barska looks like it's about the only one in that price range- can pick a used one up on Amazon for $60- the cheaper one doesn't get great reviews past 50 yards.

http://www.amazon.com/CO11502-20-60x60- ... 135&sr=1-3
I have a barska, need to check which model. It does ok at 100 yards.

Inquisitor wrote:I have a barska, need to check which model. It does ok at 100 yards.
I have one also, paid ~ 65. The tripod that comes w/ it is crap, Yeah, it does "OK" My next one will have the eyepiece mounted on the side and not at the end. Makes it easier to use if its sitting next to you on the bench. The 'eyepiece on the end' model requires more fiddling around to get it placed so it doesn't interfere with firing.