My $60 spotting scope

I looked at about 10 different spotting scopes, monoculars, binoculars, etc, and never found one that even remotely worked for me. Eye relief was always measured in mm and the picture was worth crap.

Then I decided to look for a rifle scope instead. Since I don't plan shooting past 100 yards, I figured something in the neighborhood of 3-9x would be fine.

Unfortunately, eye relief was usually poor and the exit pupil on max power was often nonexistent. I tried about 15 scopes from various manufacturers that ranged from $30 to $200.

Then I found this baby:

Eye relief is about 12 inches (maybe more) and exit pupil is HUGE. I bought it at Big 5 and a set of rings for $52 plus tax (using my 25% coupon).

A stop to WalMart for ammo yielded a $7.50 mini-tripod in the photo department. Then I went to my local hardware store and bought a couple of concrete wall anchors threaded the same as the tripod.

BEHOLD:

and folded:

for a little additional fun, I got one of the anchors flush-mounted to the top of my range box. Much sturdier than the tripod:

I can read street signs from a block away with this thing! Plus, it's ready to mount to a rifle some day.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."