Scope shopping

I don't know squat about scopes except I'm liable to get burned by looking for a deal.

I'd like a scope I could use on both a 45-70 and a 30-30 in the 50-100 yard range.

What the heck am I looking for in terms of the three numbers that identify a scope?

What will tolerate the 45-70 recoil?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Scope shopping

They're not cheap but they are very well made and come with a lifetime warranty that includes being stupid.

Leupold.

Cheaper, almost as well made but probably won't stand much abuse over time.

Nikon.

Both have a variable magnification capability....at the distances you are talking about for aging eyes like mine...1.5 x 4 with a 20mm objective minimum. Max to a 4x9 and a 40mm objective.

all doable in the 3-400 dollar range but then you have to get mounts...and covers...another 100.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Simmer down wrote:I don't know squat about scopes except I'm liable to get burned by looking for a deal.

I'd like a scope I could use on both a 45-70 and a 30-30 in the 50-100 yard range.

What the heck am I looking for in terms of the three numbers that identify a scope?

I've had a Simmons 3x9-40 (3 to 9x magnification with a 40mm glass) do just fine on a Mini Thirty (7.62x39) out to 100 yards. Ran about $40 at Academy.

It is all a matter of keeping the optic secured and zeroed to the mounting rings. Locktite Blue is awesome and has never failed or loosened even after hundreds of Comblock rounds.

**edit**

Given the amount of powder on a 45-70, you might want to go with the "pro" series which is about $70 but still very affordable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510964 ... icle-matte
LGC Texas - Vice President

Given that I know you are serious about this shooting thing and I know you like well made things. Just buy the Leupold.

For the kind of shooting you have in mind, while variable power scopes are very popular in the market, you can get better quality for your purposes going with a medium power fixed scope. I think a 4x or 6x fixed would be nifty.

I guess I should really ought to disclose fully...

I liked the way that Leupold treated me when I bought the reflex sight for the P229...they took me for a short tour of their plant which is about 5 miles from me...I could spend a lifetime running around in there.

so when I went shopping for a rifle scope I went with theirs after giving a lot of serious thought to some others; Zeiss, Leica, Leitz, Swarovski and Nikon ( keep in mind my masters work was optics based...albeit electron optics but I had to learn something about glass before they would let me near anything else ) and these guys literally wrote the book on optics.

Leupold is as good (contrast and resolution) and nowhere near as spendy...again excepting Nikon whose contrast was slightly less than Leupold's and doesn't have as robust of a warranty.

so I am biased...thought I should get that out. Also...US Bank is evil in my opinion, but that's another story
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

A base leupold or Nikkon.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Here's my .45-70 with a 3X9 Redfield variable on it. I shoot 350 grainers at about 1800 fps, and so far the scope has tolerated it. The scope used to be on a Mosin, and I shot a couple hundred rounds through it before I scope swapped. I bought it used.

Chuck Hawks writes that this cartridge is a 160 yard cartridge, so I figured this relatively weak scope would work just fine. It sees very well out to 160 yards.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/45-70Govt.htm

Best of luck.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I like current production Weavers. For your purposes I'd suggest a 4x or 6x fixed scope. A less expensive fixed power will last longer, IME & all that, than a considerably more expensive variable power scope.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I saw a youtube with a guy and his 45-70 Handi rifle, He said the 22 plinker scopes lasted longer than the bigger ones. :hmmm:

I have a line on some Leupold scopes at a discount. I should get a really good scope then different sets of rings for for my fleet.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Inside 100 yards, avoid anything over x4. I'd look for a good variable 1-4 power. Also think about what type of aiming device you like: cross-hairs, posts, chevrons, donuts, dots, etc.
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

I have Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Nikon, Redfield Bushnell, Simmons and Weaver scopes. At the ranges you will be shooting a 30/30 or 45/70 all you need is a inexpensive 2.5-3X scope made by Bushnell or Simmons. When you consider the range of -20 to 90+ Wisconsin temperatures some of my cheaper scopes have been in without ever fogging or having any problem it is silly for you to spend more than $80 max.

Simmer down wrote:I saw a youtube with a guy and his 45-70 Handi rifle, He said the 22 plinker scopes lasted longer than the bigger ones. :hmmm:

I have a line on some Leupold scopes at a discount. I should get a really good scope then different sets of rings for for my fleet.
Or some of those sexy quick disconnect rings.

I know little about scopes also but this is the one I own and use on an AR 15.

Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

It's big (50mm lens) and heavy but has high magnification (20x), good eye relief, sharp sight picture, and has retained zero nicely day one.

I've shot the Nikon P-223 3x32 Matte BDC Carbine scope on a friend's rifle quite a bit and liked it.

For a .45-70, I think that Simmons Whitetail Classic is probably too much riflescope. A 7mm Rem Mag, though, absolutely, especially if shooting at, say, 1,000 yards.

For this .45-70, I would suggest one of the newer Redfields, specifically the Revolution series. The Revolutions are made by Leupold at their Beaverton, OR plant and are basically VX-1's at a somewhat lower price tag. A guy I know has one on his Marlin 336 in .45-70, and the glass was so good for the money that I bought two of 'em (one for the Mosin). The 2-7x33 in the Revolution series would be another good choice.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Bang for buck - Sightron SII Big Sky, used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightron-SII-Bi ... SwcUBYTdwL

Also, this is excerpted from http://www.chuckhawks.com/seven_steps_s ... oading.htm:

"V. What About Scopes?

Personal preference, of course, your selection process is just like you'd put on any big game hunting rifle for example a Marlin .444, the .45-70 Government, or the 450 Marlin. The "theory" of a muzzleloading scope is a bit silly. The Savage 10ML-II is a precision-made, extremely high quality big game rifle that can handle anything from groundhog to grizzly. A good scope is just an investment in furthering your hunting success. The Savage short-action is a strong, robust action. The super-short, mini scopes rarely fit properly. Make sure you have a main tube that is long enough-about 5.4 to 6 inches for easy scope mounting, and look for a good internal adjustment range. A Sightron SII 3-9 x 42 (95 inches internal adjustment, 5.47 in. main tube) or a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 x 40 (50 in. adjustment, 6 inch main tube) are two basic choices. For a better grade of scope, consider the Sightron SIIB "Big Sky" 3-9 x 42 or 3-12 x 42 (70 in. adjustment, 5.47 inches maintube) or the Burris Signature Select 3-10 x 40 (50 in. adjustment, 6.5 inch maintube) have better image quality. Both the Sightrons and the Burris Signature Select have more generous eye relief than the 3.3 inches of the Bushnell. There are a lot of good choices out there, but these four scopes have worked beautifully for me personally."
Last edited by LMoore on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I second the idea of a low-power variable...something in the 1.5-4x or even 2-7x range. A 20mm objective is OK, a 32mm would be brighter in low-light. So, if you want specific numbers: 1.5-4x20, 1.5-4x32, 1-4x24, 2-7x32

Leupold is good...high-quality, fair prices, US made

I've been buying mostly Nikons of late...I favored their cameras back in the day and have warm spot in my heart for them. Excellent bang for the buck and Natchez Shooting Supply handles factory refurbs at reduced pricing (https://www.natchezss.com/optics/rifle- ... r=position)

Most manufacturers have various product lines that fall into the value, mid-price, and premium ranges...not all Leupolds and Nikons are the same depending on which product line they're in.

Simmer down wrote:I don't know squat about scopes except I'm liable to get burned by looking for a deal.

What about a red dot? Have a primary arms on my turkey/deer slug mossberg. 12 guage Brenekes have decent kick so the 45/70 should be fine. You sould be good at a hundred just get one with a smaller dot.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled