Burris Fastfire III: thoughts and best MOA for pistol

OK, I'm getting a pistol with a reflex sight, because FUN.

Looking at the Fastfire III, mostly because of the pricepoint and the fact that it can easily mount to a GI 1911.

Anyone got one?

Also, they come in two flavors: 3 MOA or 8 MOA. The 8 seems like a good pistol scope, while the 3 seems like a better fit for a carbine. The dot covering an 8 inch plate at 100 yards doesn't seem like a negative. Am I missing something?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Burris Fastfire III: thoughts and best MOA for pistol

When I went with something like that, I wanted the smallest "aimpoint" I could get. I am happy I did. I put the point where I want the round to go and as long as everything else is working (grip, breathing, stance, trigger pull, follow through...) then the round simply does what its told. I really didn't want the sight to interfere with what I was looking at.

So, if I were trying to hit an 8 inch paper plate at 100 yards (and I was zeroed to 100 yards) I wouldn't want the sight obscuring the target. Unless I was a SIG, then by my thinking anything I can do to obscure the target is what I should do...
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Re: Burris Fastfire III: thoughts and best MOA for pistol

I have a couple cheapish red dots: a TruGlo, a Mueller, and a more expensive Sightmark. Each was under about $175 as I recall, and each has a selectable reticle with big and small dots, cross hairs, dots w/i circles. I find I always go for the small dot.

You might see if you can borrow one to see if you like it. I found that they take some getting used to but on my only handgun with a rail, a 22/45, it works really well.