Re: Wondersight for S&W revolvers

I'd love to try one on my L frame but that doesn't appear to be one of the models it fits....
But I do have a couple N frames that could use a better sight pictures :) .
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:I'd love to try one on my L frame but that doesn't appear to be one of the models it fits....
But I do have a couple N frames that could use a better sight pictures :) .
They only fit 5 screw Smiths without modifying the gun by drilling and tapping a small hole in the same position as the Smith "Bug Screw".
Last edited by pokute on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An important part of the installation is the scrupulous cleaning of the area around the bug screw and the use of very strong, thin, solvent resistant double-stick-tape under the flange of the Wondersight. Without the DST, the Wondersight will move even under the pokey recoil of a 32 S&W. Experimentation with strong rubber cement like Weldwood, to make sure it doesn't strip bluing, would be worthwhile.
Attachments
Wondersight.jpg

pokute wrote:The guy who makes the Wondersight is, by the way, an awesome gunsmith. Those of you in Oregon near Philomath are fortunate indeed. He will no longer talk to me after finding out that I fired 32L's in a 32-20 gun. He may be smarter than anybody else I know.
Huh, I'm only a few minutes away, just east of Philomath. I go there regularly for the best doughnuts around, at Nutcakes.

Does he work on Rugers?
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:
pokute wrote:The guy who makes the Wondersight is, by the way, an awesome gunsmith. Those of you in Oregon near Philomath are fortunate indeed. He will no longer talk to me after finding out that I fired 32L's in a 32-20 gun. He may be smarter than anybody else I know.
Huh, I'm only a few minutes away, just east of Philomath. I go there regularly for the best doughnuts around, at Nutcakes.

Does he work on Rugers?
I imagine he'll work on anything, for anybody except me!

I have my snubbie at a gunsmith to install a Wondersight and a big dot sight on the front.

Yes - the gunsmith thinks I am both stupid and insane. ("Why are you putting sights on a pocket gun?")

I don't care - if I can marginally improve my aim with this gun, I will consider it worth it. Also - my eyes are old and I am having lots of trouble seeing both the front sight (nail polish was not good enough) and lining the front sight up with the little groove on top.

I am one of those people who actually goes to the range and practices with their snubbie. I don't care if the gun looks funny.

Not that I'm sensitive or anything about this. :whistle:

-- Zagone

Most definitely NOT in the bullseye league... yet!

zagone wrote:I have my snubbie at a gunsmith to install a Wondersight and a big dot sight on the front.

Yes - the gunsmith thinks I am both stupid and insane. ("Why are you putting sights on a pocket gun?")

I don't care - if I can marginally improve my aim with this gun, I will consider it worth it. Also - my eyes are old and I am having lots of trouble seeing both the front sight (nail polish was not good enough) and lining the front sight up with the little groove on top.

I am one of those people who actually goes to the range and practices with their snubbie. I don't care if the gun looks funny.

Not that I'm sensitive or anything about this. :whistle:

-- Zagone
Gunsmith would not install the Wondersight - called me after a month and claimed that the screw hole he would have to drill on my particular model of pistol to install it would interfere with the hammer. :?

Maybe... I generally listen to experts, so maybe he was right..

I'm kind of discouraged, not handy with tools myself, and running out of desire to pay people to do stuff.

I guess I'll throw the Wondersight in storage and perhaps it will go on another pistol. Someday.

-- Zagone

Most definitely NOT in the bullseye league... yet!

"...not handy with tools myself, and running out of desire to pay people to do stuff," is pretty much how any one of us who eventually acquired a collection of tools and the skills to use them started.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I had no idea these were still being made. My M1905 would definitely be improved by one; the rear sight is a tiny shallow invisible notch. Has the screw in the right place, too. At first, I thought it wasn't a part for such a revolver, because the description says "three screw," which it ain't. Then I noticed that "three screw" is explained by saying that they're commonly called "four screw" or "five screw." Umm... :blink:
Reunite Pangea!