Need info on vintage Bushnell 3x7 Custom .22 scopes

Thinking of buying a vintage Bushnell 3x7 Custom .22 scope. I know they have a rail along the bottom which requires a special 'double clamp' mount specific to this scope. I also know the objective (front) lens is 18mm in diameter, as stamped on the bottom.

I see them on Ebay and the ones missing the mount go a lot cheaper. Being an incurable tightwad and tinkerer, I wonder if I can fabricate or modify something that would work.

So my questions are; What is the actual outside tube diameter? And is the bottom rail removable?

Thanks for any help in advance. :bow:
I've seen all good people turn their heads each day
so satisfied I'm on my way

Re: Need info on vintage Bushnell 3x7 Custom .22 scopes

Simmer down wrote:I'm also a tightwad but I've lost money on trying to skimp. Are you drawn to this scope for its vintage quality or it's initial low price?

(I know. I hate asking a question and getting a question in return)

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bushnell ... 20&bih=911
Do these pix answer your question?
Both, plus it would be perfect for an airgun I'm building.

Thanks for the link but I've seen all the pics, they don't give me the info I'm looking for.

Tube diameter? Removable rail? Anyone?

Pure speculation on my part- if the bottom rail was easily removable, the scopes without the rail would probably still sell. If they are super cheap, it's likely because you'd have to fabricate a custom mount for it- from my light interwebz poking around, it uses a custom rail size which doesn't even match up to a standard rail. If one wanted to go full bubba, you could probably take a dremel to the rail and make it work
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Pure speculation on my part- if the bottom rail was easily removable, the scopes without the rail would probably still sell. If they are super cheap, it's likely because you'd have to fabricate a custom mount for it- from my light interwebz poking around, it uses a custom rail size which doesn't even match up to a standard rail. If one wanted to go full bubba, you could probably take a dremel to the rail and make it work
Actually if the bottom rail isn't removable, I was thinking of 'taking a dremel' to a set of .22 scope rings. Maybe I could cut out a notch in the base of the rings to accommodate the bottom rail on the scope. That way the scope remains original, and it will slide forward and back to adjust for eye relief.

But first I need to know if the rail is removable or not, and what the outside tube diameter is. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to dig up all the info & links SD!

I buy & sell vintage scopes on Ebay regularly. A year ago I sold a Weaver C4 which has a similar mount, but at the time I wasn't really looking at the Bushnell 3x7. I think it went for around $40 at the time, but the vintage scope market is fickle.

On the bottom of the page at your first link I found two of those mounts for under $10 each. The mount looks like it could be modified to work on a Bushnell Custom .22, so I might just go for one and then look for a Bushnell without the mount and if it's cheap enough, pull the trigger on it and take a chance.

I've seen pics of the Bushnell Custom .22 sitting alongside a 3/4" scope like the Weaver C4 and the Bushnell looks like the tube diameter is bigger, somewhere between a 3/4" and 1". 7/8" maybe? But I could be wrong. Since no one here seems to have a Custom .22 to measure, the only other way to find out is to just buy one.

Appreciate the help SD! :thanks:

Aha! I finally got one of the sellers on Ebay to measure his Custom .22 scope! :clap:

Outside diameter is 22mm, which is .866", just .009" under 7/8" (.875"). Which means a pair of standard 3/8" dovetail .22 mounts with 7/8" rings should fit.

Unfortunately the 'rail' under the scope is a molded part of the tube. Cutting a notch in the bottom of each ring should accommodate the rail. Or cutting the rail off altogether, but that could be messy.

Anyways I have what I need now, posted here for any future interest. Thanks!

One problem I have with the rail mount that comes with the 3x7 Custom .22 scope is I don't think it will fit on the receiver of the air rifle without blocking the bolt-type breech where you load the pellets. Two separate rings/mounts work just fine, as I have a 1" diameter scope mounted on it temporarily... but it just looks too big for the gun.

I'm just about done with this project except for mounting the right scope, but I'll be taking some pics soon to post in the 'air guns' section. Then ya'll can see what I mean. ;)