Leupold scope advice

I'm looking at a few used examples of a Leupold Vari-x II 4x-12x scope with a 40mm Adjustable objective.

Used because Gloss Black is no longer made in that scope and it's for a classic .257 Roberts ( all shiny blued steel and walnut)

Price is identical.

I can get one made in one of these 3 years.

Which year of production would be the best one to get? It seems like a wash to me, since these optics were all made in a narrow range of dates.

Maybe some y'all out there know better.

Thanks!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: Leupold scope advice

I wouldn't want a new one (vx2); I'm sure a used one from those years are fine. The warranty is transferable right?

Unless someone here has some specific technical reason, I'd probably lean towards the 96. I would image there being an increase in quality over the 87.

Another option you might look at is an old Bausch and Lomb, the precursor to the Bushnell Elite. I'm sure they made it in a gloss finish.

Re: Leupold scope advice

As far as which date to purchase I don't know for sure but I will say this I have only owned one Leupold and it was the Vari X III it was a 3.5-10 power and it was made in the late 70s, I bought it used for 120 bucks and it was the finest scope I have ever used. At night during a full moon at the lowest setting it was almost like using a night vision scope. It was on a Rem 788 in 222rem and I have regretted selling it for years.