Vortex Viper

Edit: title should be Venom.

Shooting the most recent postal match with iron sights convinced me that the days of iron sights for any precision shooting are behind me. So I decided to treat myself to a teeny new red dot for my 22/45. I had previously been using a big, cheap Mueller sight that did not hold zero very well and had nearly stripped mounting bolts. I was torn between the Fastfire III and the Venom. In the end, the vortex warranty won me over so I ordered the Venom with 3 MOA dot.

Any of you have experience with one? Thanks in advance.

Re: Vortex Viper

Nobody commented.

For the record, it arrived today. Very good packaging, it's a tiny little thing, I hung it on my 2245 and took it to the range. Very clean sight picture that's easy to pick up. 3 MOA dot. No audible clicks but handy little dials on the adjustments. So I shot postal match 11 with it and did pretty well at 7 yards.

I've never used optics before- I'm still trying to maintain consistency with iron sights. Still, I'm well into my bifocal years and it would probably be a good idea to start exploring these. Sounds like you're happy with this one?
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Yes, I like it so far. I have a number of red dots bit this is the first micro one. I got it for the 2245 since I did not like a big ol thing way up above the bore axis. I was torn between this and the Burris Fastfire III. Pretty much a toss up but the Vortex warranty tipped the scales.

I have it mounted on a pic rail. I can get a base plate for it that allows it to be mounted on the dovetail but I am not yet ready to lose the iron sights. I like the size and the dot is crisp. No interchangeable reticles - just one 3 MOA dot but that's fine.

That looks pretty nice. I've been kicking around one of those or the fastfire units myself. I think I'd like one on my MKII as well as my G17. The Vortex warranty is top notch from what I've read.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

That entire setup is beautiful! I think Vortex offers the best bang for the buck in red dots right now, micro or otherwise. There may be much better and more durable optics available, but not at that price point and not with such a strong commitment from the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can speak for Vortex as a brand, but not the Venom. I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x on my Bushmaster M4gery and it is very solid.

This was 50 yrs after getting it dialed in. The shoot-n-c is a 6" target. Three shots are with Iron, but the rest were red dot:

So, it's my personal experience that Vortex makes excellent sights and they are a name that can be trusted.

With the original post being 2016 and having sometime to shoot with the Vortex Venom, how do you like it? I just picked a MK IV tactical I am looking at either the Venom or the Viper for it. The thing is that the Viper only comes in a 6 MOA reticle. I do not have enough experience with RMR's to know if I should be going with the 3.5 MOA or the 6 MOA reticle. Any help, guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. ~B

I just bought a 2018 version of the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85 angled scope.

I am really liking it, though I don't have a lot of hands-on time with scopes. It seems to have a bright, crisp image all the way to the edges of the field of view. The viewing is best from about 20x to 45x, but 60x is functional. Probably the only thing about the scope that I'm not crazy about is the barrel focus. I mean don't get me wrong, it functions perfectly well. But there is a lot of twisting to adjust across the entire range of focus and sometimes that can be a pain. For what I paid though, I couldn't be happier.

I'd like to hear what other people are doing in terms of digiscoping adapters. Vortex suggested that I go with PhoneSkope to adapt to my phone to the scope, and I haven't completely clarified what sort of adapter would work with my Nikon DSLR.

Can anybody suggest what approach I should take to adapting my DSLR to the scope? The eyepiece appears to be a 1.25 inch bayonet style, but I am not sure if it is a proprietary style or if the Swarovski Optics still work on the new scopes. I heard rumors that the Swarovski eyepieces would adapt to older models of Vortex scopes. But I don't know if the new models still work with them.
My new tactics project: https://tacticsfaq.com/

For digiscoping, the Phone Scope works, but it's proprietary based on phone model. I had one and it worked okay, but when my phone died, I didn't get a new case as it wasn't made for my phone model. Last year I picked up a Celestron scope adapter and it works really well. Fully adjustable on three axis, works on any phone. Not quite as quick to get setup, but more robustly made.
Celestron Scope Adapter
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I've got one of those as well- they are okay, but the adjustments on them are not great, and depending on the location of your camera eye, it can be a pain in the ass to get it centered properly. The Celestron has dial adjustments to get things adjusted after you mount it, so less futzing to get it right. But it's also more expensive.
- Maya Angelou