Re: Best way to level a rifle scope?

If you don't have an armorer's vise, you can use a lower receiver magazine block in a vise to hold the rifle.

I level the rifle first, then mount the rings/mount and then loosely install the scope. After that, I turn the scope to the highest magnification and find the eye relief that works for me, somewhere around 3". I mark the position on the scope with a pencil, then I level the scope, comparing it against the level on the rifle and tighten the rings. I also like to bore sight the rifle at the same time. I can just get a 23 yard run inside the house, so I use a laser bore sighter to adjust the scope windage and elevation which gets me in the 2-3 MOA ball park at 100 yards. From there, I sight it in at the range at 50 yards for a 200 yard zero.

Because I occasionally cant the rifle when offhand, anything being shot that way rather then benched gets the scope levelled when I'm good and comfy holding it. If my hold its out a degree or two, then the scope is as well, but it is true to plumb and level real-world, and that is what the bullet needs to know when you adjust it.

Works for me - your mileage may vary. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
TheViking wrote:It would be way too easy if scopes came with small marks already engraved to align with the rings...
Good God, man..... Do you want them to do everything for you? Like engrave torque values next to the screw, like the Europeans and the bike part folks do?...
Would take all of the fun out of it...

I sell said bike parts for a living too
Let me tell you, Renthal gets bonus points for putting those marks on their clip-on handlebars so they are actually easy to align on the forks.

Thank you for the advice, I tried the Segway but it doesn't work so well without a strong horizontal component to the reticle. I do like the idea of scope mounts having a horizontal line to line up with the rifle scope's horizontal line. Or better yet, a lug on the bottom to engage with a similar cut out in the scope mount. I should have the levels by early August.

TheViking, I also like your suggestion of leveling against a table edge.

I went in with a friend and bought a Wheeler scope mounting kit that we share between us. The up front expense is not low, but so far we've mounted I think ~8 different optics using it, and my friend swaps his scopes around on occasion.

I will say that the pair of levels make it easy to get the scope on straight, and having a proper torque wrench and alignment/lapping tools for 30mm and 1" rings is very handy.

If the scope has a flat base to the turret, underside if the scope, stick something flat, thin, and uniform width between the flat of the AR top and flat of the scope turret. I've used a file or even an AppleTV remote. If your file is perpendicular to both rifle and scope, and sits flat against both when tipped on it side, then your scope should be level to your rifle. It's super low tech, but it works in a pinch.

I'll take pictures when I can, it's difficult to describe. Photos work much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:If the scope has a flat base to the turret, underside if the scope, stick something flat, thin, and uniform width between the flat of the AR top and flat of the scope turret. I've used a file or even an AppleTV remote. If your file is perpendicular to both rifle and scope, and sits flat against both when tipped on it side, then your scope should be level to your rifle. It's super low tech, but it works in a pinch.

I'll take pictures when I can, it's difficult to describe. Photos work much better.
I do it this way too. on really good days, I use an adjustable machinist's parallel.

Truth be told, it doesn't matter. If you put a scope level on, and shoot with it level all of the time, the position of the rifle in relation to the scope is meaningless as long as it is consistent.

Marlene wrote: Truth be told, it doesn't matter.
Wrong, if the scope is not square with the bore axis of the whatever rifle it is on then every adjustment to the "elevation" turret will introduce a certain amount of "windage" which will throw off the shot.

Might not be much at 50-100 yards, but for long range shooters this small angular error by not properly squaring the scope to the receiver can be a nightmare.

TheViking wrote:With the AR platform, I place the magazine well on a block of wood on a table which will point the barrel somewhat downward - then align the reticle with the far edge of the table. Low tech but it works.
You posted this before, and I tried it . I was surprised how it close it was. Just a bore sighting tweak at 100 yards once at the range and I was banging away.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

TheViking wrote:It would be way too easy if scopes came with small marks already engraved to align with the rings...
A couple of the old rifles my dad gave me with weaver set ups do have this. I dont know if they did it, or my dad did it. It looks factory though so I suspect weaver.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more