Red Dots

So, mid-range'ish red dots. Pew Pew liked the
HOLOSUN HS403A Micro Red Dot Sight

But I've also read good things about the
Vortex Optics StrikeFire 2 Red/Green Dot Sight with Cantilever Mount

Something I'm missing here, on one or any of several layers? Anyone played with either model?

This is going on an entry-level MSR, please keep the Aimpoint recommendations to yourselves (maybe one day)

TIA

M-
Worker bees can leave.
Even drones can fly away.
The Queen is their slave.

Re: Red Dots

The Holosun is OK, Sig Sauer rebrands their red dots. Also consider the size of the dot, if you're shooting closer distances you might a larger dot for faster target acquisition or a smaller dot for shooting longer distances.

I have 3 Red Dot sights. One is a Bushnell TRS-25 which is pretty good but a bit clumsy to turn on and adjust. Then there's a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot with Push-buttons that's a good bit nicer than the Bushnell. Finally there's the integrated Sig-Sauer Romeo1 reflex red dot that came with my P320 Compact which I think is the nicest of them all. But stand-alone they are expensive, even discounted.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'll third the Vortex recommendation- I picked up their red dot alternative, the Spitfire to see how it would do with my astigmatism- nice clear optics, and sure enough, no star from it, even with the light cranked up. I went back and forth a ton on my higher end scope between a Vortex and the Bushnell HDMR- I wound up with the HDMR, but not because of the Vortex quality.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have a Vortex Spitfire also. This is a 3x prism sight with a BDC reticle. Excellent quality. I thought about a red dot, but I shoot my AR at a range from at least 100 yards, so even a 2 moa dot seemed too much. But Vortex sights are great stuff and if I were to look for a red dot I would start there.
Member, LGC

Woodsman wrote:I have a Vortex Spitfire also. This is a 3x prism sight with a BDC reticle. Excellent quality. I thought about a red dot, but I shoot my AR at a range from at least 100 yards, so even a 2 moa dot seemed too much. But Vortex sights are great stuff and if I were to look for a red dot I would start there.
If you're shooting a 12" steel plate at 100 yards, a 2 MOA dot works just fine. I do this with my PCC. If you're shooting groups, then a red dot isn't the right tool.

I tried a Holosun micro dot a couple of years ago, I had to send it back. I couldn't use it because I would see two dots. Aimpoints gave me the same thing. At the time I went with the Vortex Strikefire with bright red dot and just resigned myself to the larger size and weight.

Having said that, I just got the Sig Sauer Romeo 4A, and it works fine for me. No double dots, must be a different tech. The difference in size and weight between the Romeo and the Strikefire is obvious. Plus, auto-off with motion sensing auto-on, 10k hour battery life. I'm quite pleased with it.

Primary Arms has them marked down from about $300 to about $170 and I got free shipping. They usually ship quickly, too.

Edited to add: I almost forgot, there's no blue or green tint with this Romeo. The glass is clear. From what I've read this seems to be unusual for red dots.
Last edited by rascally on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

shinzen wrote:Interesting- Rascally, do you have an astigmatism?
The last time I was checked I was told I had a mild one.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

I'll Nth (my brain doesn't want to count how many others already have this morning) the vote for Vortex. I have a SPARC 2, 2 MOA, that has been hopping between different firearms sporadically which I really like. I also have a number of their scopes on various rifles, all of which have worked quite well for me.

I can even attest, somewhat, to their warranty service. My boss dropped his newly re-assembled AR on its side the other day and crushed the right side cap on his Strike Eagle. A short call to Vortex and a few days later they sent him a complete replacement 'kit' for both caps.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

I have a pretty severe astigmatism, but I guess my glasses and contacts correct it enough that I only see one dot, though it tends to starburst a bit when I have it at the highest setting. This has pretty much held true from a $30 TruGlo to a Vortex Viper and the C-Mores I usually shoot with. One of the biggest benefits of shooting with a dot is that I've finally learned to shoot with both eyes open and I've even managed to do it with iron sights when I have the presence of mind to do it.

In doing some further research it seems like there have been some build quality issues with the Holosuns. The deep discount on the Romeo 4A rascally mentioned is tempting, but if spara's assertion that Sig Sauers are rebranded Holosuns I'm back in the same boat. I think I'll go with the Vortex, as I also like the cantilevered mount, and available glare reduction cap. Thanks for all of the input folks!
Worker bees can leave.
Even drones can fly away.
The Queen is their slave.

Even a Sig Sauer or Vortex is costly. I picked up my first Red Dot brand new for $30. It's a Tacfire with a cantilever mount. Has red, green and blue dots. I think the blue is handy for people who have some problems with color blindness. A green or red dot can get lost pointing into foliage, but the blue stands out against anything on the ground. First I had to get corrective lenses for my astigmatism. With astigmatism all dots look lie aurora borealis. In other words, it doesn't look like a dot.
"The last thing right-wing nuts, fascists and haters want is liberals owning guns and knowing how to use them." - Wise Liberal