Optic suggestions for Ruger American Rifle in .308

Hi All,

I would appreciate any suggestions for a scope to put on the following rifle:

Ruger American Rifle, Predator model, 18" barrel, .308

Aside from Kirk's amazing rifle I shot at last year's meeting, I have never used optics before. Also, my experience with rifles in general can be counted on two hands, fingers to spare. I won this rifle in a shooting contest (post in Competition and Marksmanship) and it seems like a good shooter from what I've read, so I want to keep it.

I will be using it for target shooting only, 100 - 200 yards, and possibly longer if I can visit a 600 yard range if my skill improves. I will be shooting from various positions, and want to learn to use a sling for standing shots as well. (Sling recommendations also much appreciated!)

Cost should be appropriate to the value of the rifle, which seems to go for between $350 - $450.

Thanks very much!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Re: Optic suggestions for Ruger American Rifle in .308

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/nikon-p ... ifle-scope

I don't claim to be an expert on scopes, but I have the 3x-9x 40mm Nikon Prostaff scope on my Mini-14 and I've always been quite satisfied with it. Like foghorn said, I do usually keep it zoomed to 9x, but sometimes dial it back when shooting shorter distances than normal. The eye relief is good for me, and it's got a nice clear and bright view. If I have any complaint it's that the windage and elevation adjustments are inconvenient to use, but really that's a minor thing for me because once it's dialed in I don't have to fiddle with those anymore for the target shooting I do. Also, it's not expensive.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Marlene wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 pm At the high end of your range, but a 3-9 Leupold (the cheaper end of their offerings in that power) will be a scope you can gladly move from rifle to rifle for the rest of your life.
Agree on Leupold. I had a gloss VX3 and it was a beauty.

As for slings, I used to have a Montana sling for my Browning A-Bolt and I liked it a lot. Not sure what you're looking for but Montana slings come in black and and brown -- they won't match the Ruger American Predator but it's an easily adjustable sling. http://www.montanagunslings.com/. Unless, of course, you're looking for something that looks more tactical and is made of nylon.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions- they are all very helpful. I've got a Leupold VX 2 3-9X40 on order, and Warne rings to go with. The VX 2 was only a few bucks more than the VX 1, so I thought what the heck.

I had read very good things about the Nikon Prostaff; I understand the Leupold is made here, and that makes a difference to me.

I'll try to post a picture of results here or in the Range Reports forum to show how things turned out.

Thanks again! :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

You made a good choice. Leupold makes solid stuff. I've got the Mod1 myself, as I wanted a bit higher magnification for longer range. That said, I also have one of the Nikons, and it's a stellar scope as well for the price- I think the light pickup is a tad bit better on the Nikon, but both are nice and clear on the glass.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou