Frog Lube

Green lubricant. No, literally, it's green, and in more ways than one. It's biodegradable, bio-based, supposedly non-toxic to the point of being edible, smells great, non-petroleum based, etc. After properly applying this product, they recommend running the weapon "dry" from then on, and the reviews and endorsements seem to agree. To me, that is exciting in and of itself, as I'm really tired of dealing with oil transferring from my guns to my clothes and whatnot. Anyway, I just got a small tub of the 'grease'/paste. Can't wait to try this stuff out. I even bought a cheap hairdryer to apply it (used my ex's for the EWL below).

I've been using Slip2000 EWL for a few years now, and have had zero rust since (I applied it using heat, per instructions). Very satisfied, but I have heard so much about this new Frog Lube product, I had to try it out.

http://www.froglube.com/roothome.htm

If anyone has any experience with this, please tell us. I always want more info! I'll post up when I have something more interesting to say about this product.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Re: Frog Lube

Yeah, it's good stuff by all accounts. After watching all of the youtube reviews, hearing about it on forums, and seeing it in my LGS I had to try it. I like that its edible :chef: so you don't have to wear gloves or worry about your little ones or pets. The minty smell is also a plus.

You heat up the metal, apply the paste, and leave it for about an hour. After that, it looks like melted butter that has re-solidified. Wipe the excess down and repeat the heating/application process. At that point you've basically 'seasoned' the metal, preventing rust and fouling from adhering to the surface. In fact, they claim fouling is trapped by petroleum CLP's but frog lube repels it. After just a couple of uses, you can just wipe build-up away and add a little of the liquid frog lube for lubrication purposes. It's a little pricey in terms of initial investment, but you save money, time, and effort overall. Plus it's good for everyone and everything!

Used a few drops on my squeeky driver's side door on the Impala and it works fantastic!

(I have FireClean to use on the firearms, may do a comparison between the two but there have been a few already done)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Interesting.

I had heard good things about Frog Lube, but usually in the context of modern guns with fine tolerances (ARs, match 1911s, etc.)

But now I'm thinking I'll give it a try on my old clunkers...
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I got the wrong first thought when I read the title.

I've never heard of this product. Everyone I talk to uses either CLP, or baby wipes (all of them are military).
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

stumbled upon this looking into the OP... it's a dissenting opinion / comparison of Frog Lube and Mil-Comm by a fellow who lacks mastery of the English language but nonetheless attempted to run an unbiased comparative test in his garage....

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/LtKkSRLQN_A[/youtu_be]

there was a section in Scientific American called "The Amateur Scientist" ... I used to love reading that. anyway, yeah garage lab 101 stuff...this guy reminds me of that in some strange way.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote:stumbled upon this looking into the OP... it's a dissenting opinion / comparison of Frog Lube and Mil-Comm by a fellow who lacks mastery of the English language but nonetheless attempted to run an unbiased comparative test in his garage....

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/LtKkSRLQN_A[/youtu_be]

there was a section in Scientific American called "The Amateur Scientist" ... I used to love reading that. anyway, yeah garage lab 101 stuff...this guy reminds me of that in some strange way.
Yep, same thing I've seen repeated in these "tests" almost every time. Failure to follow the manufacturer's directions will not yield the desired results. You're instructed to not only heat the metal, but to let it soak in for at least an hour, then wipe it down, and re-heat and reapply. I've seen the same thing with the Slip2000 'demos'. They don't follow the directions, then after they get the predictably poor results, start crowing about how the product doesn't live up to expectation. :thumbsdown:

I've been using Slip2000 EWL for a couple of years, and after I applied it correctly the first time, I have not had any problem with rust. Let me repeat this: I live in hot, salty, humid Tampa, and I carry daily a gun that is known on the intarwebs for its being prone to rust. It gets sweat covered, then stored in the car on hot rainy days, etc...And I've had NO RUST, at all...not even a little bit. But if you go on youtub and search for that product, you find a bunch of people who may or may not even heat the metal, and just hose it down with water or saline immediately, then say it's defective.

Let me just say, I'm skeptical.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote: Yep, same thing I've seen repeated in these "tests" almost every time. Failure to follow the manufacturer's directions ...
Let me just say, I'm skeptical.
I always figured it was probably best to just not spray salt water on my gun...but that's just me. I thought the amateur scientist was kind of comical in that way...ignore the instructions on an otherwise controlled test.

I don't live in a salt prone environment but nevertheless clean my carry weekly whether it's been fired or not. I am told, but have only limited experience in the matter myself you understand...humans are rather salty...so I figure I probably would want to clean that off my carry with some regularity...
We Are So Screwed

I haven't seen that video, but I have heard complaints about it from other reviewers claiming his saline solution was higher than that found anywhere in nature. Either way, I chose not to watch it week's ago because of claims that they didn't follow the recommended instructions. I've used break free in the past, and it evaporated in storage, so this is a step up mainly because I can just add the liquid when needed to the already slick surface provided by the paste's seasoning process.

Been reading up on the stuff. Can't find it locally here in the boonies. Probably have to order some on line. Nothing but sand around here and from what I read it'll cause sand to ball up rather than work its way into the works.

I'd also like to try it on some stubborn jacket zippers...
"Get off my lawn."

Very curious about this.

I mix up Ed's Red for cleaning (and it makes a fairly decent lube and protectant as well), and I've recently picked up a tin of Lubriplate SFL-0 grease to use as a primary lubricant.

This is the first time I've heard of a heat-treated lubricant, and it seems promising.

Ed's Red is a pretty toxic mix... that's what I'm trying to get away from. This stuff seems to be diametrically opposed, in a number of ways.

Basically, it seems like so many other things in life: those who actually use it, love it. Those who don't use it, haven't given it a try.

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Riverkilt wrote:Been reading up on the stuff. Can't find it locally here in the boonies. Probably have to order some on line. Nothing but sand around here and from what I read it'll cause sand to ball up rather than work its way into the works.

I'd also like to try it on some stubborn jacket zippers...
I think that was the thought originally behind Mil-Comm's stuff...standard lubricants in the desert environment was attracting junk which gummed up the works. The idea was to create a lubricant that was more or less effective "dry" such that dust and sand and shit wouldn't stick to it.

According to Mil-Comm, if you can visually detect the lubricant on the surface you want to lube, you've used too much.

Put it this way...when SIG stands behind that claim in their warranties...I'll believe it (they ship a little packet of Mil-Comm with each new handgun but they advise to leave a visible film of whatever on the surface).

I am told on good authority that a new superior lubricant is in development that is derived from vegetable matter.

As it is, I pretty much grab whatever is handy...Mobil one has been a stand-by, Hoppes...Mil-Comm left over from when I bought it before they started plastering NRA shit all over their packaging...3&1 oil...shit I don't care. I live in the pacific NW; it's so damn wet that I got into the habit of cleaning everything regularly...
We Are So Screwed

AmirMortal wrote:Ed's Red is a pretty toxic mix...
Yeah, Ed's Red is not great. Synthetic ATF, Mineral Spirits, Kerosene, Acetone. I usually wear nitrile gloves.

I really like the SFL-0 as a lubricant, and it's a food grade product so it's pretty friendly.

It's not a cleaner though - I've been considering trying this product (also from Lubriplate), or maybe something like Ballistol.

I may give these FrogLube products a try instead.

Ordered the packet from Gun Goddess. Arrived this week. Love it. Fixed a bunch of stubborn metal zippers on jackets as well as rehabing an old rifle. Gonna use it on the handguns this weekend. Happy happy happy...
"Get off my lawn."

I've been using Superlubes' synthetic grease and oil for several years now. It's works very well with Cerakote, and most importantly on the internal parts, Micro Slick.
I use a lot less lube than would be considered normal on blued or parkerized firearms, in fact most often my pistols are frightenly dry to most people.Clean up after shooting is usually just a couple of patches soaked with WD-40 through the bore and a blow job with high pressure air (the firearm, not me).

I am switching my guns over to a Froglube regime one at a time.

1911 was first (haven't shot it yet).

M1 Garand was next. Shot it yesterday, no mechanical issues, smaller groups than usual with 2 different kinds of ammo.

Next up will be the KelTec sub2000, which has been experiencing some feeding/ejection issues...

Bonus: no complaints from the wife about the linamenty smell. I can work with it at the kitchen table, without gloves.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Most of my guns have been converted to Frog Lube. Love the stuff. Once treated the guns clean up really fast compared to standard methods (#9, BreakFree CLP, Mobil 1 which I still use on some).

I have a TISAS Zigana Sport that has ported barrel and slide. The first trip to range was with conventional (above #9 etc.). I work my butt off trying to clean barrel GSR smearing from porting and port areas on slide. Finally had to use 0000 steel wool to get it cleaned. Treated with FrogLube before next range trip. Made all the difference in the world - damn near wiped clean with microfiber cloth - came clean without the steel wool. Re-treat w/ FL - no going back. Stuff is expensive, but worth it IMHO.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I had my Frog Lube out last night. Going camping tomorrow up on the North Rim. Last time out the tent zipper was rough and the shock cord thingies hard to pull apart. So Frog Lubed all the tent zippers and the ends of the stick thingies that the shock cords hold together... Frog Lube works on lots of things besides my handguns and long guns. Love it!
"Get off my lawn."

I was looking at this after getting torqued up about my preferred reloads creating so much soot that the gun is affected before I'm finished at the range.

Several of you mentioned that guns are easier to clean afterwards but do you notice any decrease in them griming up during your shooting sprees?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy