Re: Frog Lube

No objecting testing - but subjectively they seem to not be as messy after a day at the range...seem easier to clean in that I can wipe the gunk off rather than having to scrape it off. Hard to explain, but I'm well sold on the stuff. Seems better the longer I've used it on a gun.
"Get off my lawn."

I finally tried some on a whim a little while back. I think it overly hyped and it's qualities greatly exaggerated. With that said, I really like the stuff. Lubes as well as anything else I've used and does seem to clean a little easier after a day of shooting. It's not as runny at room temperature and doesn't really stain clothing, which is really nice for CCW. Doesn't smell have bad either.
Meh.

My observation is FL grabs the soot more than without, but it easily wipes away. I carry microfiber cloths and the dirty ammo I use (WWB, UMC, Tul) after 100 or so rounds I will wipe down feed ramp and muzzle, but at least the soot isn't baked on. It seems to make the surfaces similar to a Teflon lined fry pan in addition to being a great lube. Under firing conditions it runs wet. The real reward is clean up time before storage - I love this stuff.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I like keeping the paste and/or liquid around for my blades and to clean up the ceramic rods on my sharpener. It's also nice now that fall/winter are upon us, and since it is non-toxic, I like to use a little dab of it on my knuckles to aid in moisturizing dry skin or any cracks.

Simmer down wrote:I was looking at this after getting torqued up about my preferred reloads creating so much soot that the gun is affected before I'm finished at the range.

Several of you mentioned that guns are easier to clean afterwards but do you notice any decrease in them griming up during your shooting sprees?
Well, I suppose this depends on how tight your tolerances are. The frog lube effectively prevents fouling from having much of anything to stick to, so in theory if there's somewhere for the crud to go, then no, it shouldn't gum up your works. If even ARs can keep humming along like a sewing machine, then your rotary guns should be fine. You may have to wipe something with a patch now and then, just to remove any buildup. What are you doing anyway, using Wolf's recipes?
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I haven't really researched this stuff for myself... Are y'all treating the bore as well or just the moving parts? It sounds like if applied correctly it could be awesome on the BCG of my AR, just wondering if people have tried the barrel as well...

Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT! - Henry Rollins
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I haven't really researched this stuff for myself... Are y'all treating the bore as well or just the moving parts? It sounds like if applied correctly it could be awesome on the BCG of my AR, just wondering if people have tried the barrel as well...

Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT! - Henry Rollins
Slather it all over every bit of metal. Then make sure everything gets hot, like over 120*. The action of firing several times takes care of most of the metal parts, and a hair dryer can cover the rest. Discussion of wiping parts clean with a rag or paper towel are not very exaggerated. This stuff is pretty cool.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:
Simmer down wrote:I was looking at this after getting torqued up about my preferred reloads creating so much soot that the gun is affected before I'm finished at the range.

Several of you mentioned that guns are easier to clean afterwards but do you notice any decrease in them griming up during your shooting sprees?
Well, I suppose this depends on how tight your tolerances are. The frog lube effectively prevents fouling from having much of anything to stick to, so in theory if there's somewhere for the crud to go, then no, it shouldn't gum up your works. If even ARs can keep humming along like a sewing machine, then your rotary guns should be fine. You may have to wipe something with a patch now and then, just to remove any buildup. What are you doing anyway, using Wolf's recipes?
This all began with trying to find a way to stop my revolver from getting so gunked up that the cylinder wouldn't rotate freely. I do shoot 100s at a time when I get to the range. I'll alter my loads a little to see if a little more pressure can seal the cylinder better and try this frog lube for easier clean up.

When I start obsessing about little stuff like this it usually means I've got some big obligation hanging over my head and this is a reasonable way to blow it off.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Wow. That is easily the best testing I've seen done. Glad to see Frog Lube does well there- lines up with my experience too, although for parts that need it, I do find MPRO to be a better cleaner.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Odd thing is, I've seen other tests that have nearly the same number of samples, and similar procedure, and the results are completely different.

I don't know what's up with that, except that it fails the "reproducible" part of the scientific method.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

I switched from MPro7 to Slip2000 for a CLP because it makes cleaning easier, though I'll probably give FireClean a try. However, I lubricate with SlideGlide, which seems to be a thing among Tanfoglio owners. I've shot up to 600 rounds (Tula, WWB, GECO, reloads) without cleaning before it started feeling a little wonky. I have a backup competition gun on order and I'll give FrogLube a try when it comes in, curious to see which is a better lube.

I was having trouble with my Mossberg 500 jamming up all the time when trying to rack out the old and in the new. I disassembled it twice and WD'ed the internals to no avail. It finally got so jammed I couldn't get in there (or wouldn't due to the unspent round in or around the chamber) so I took it to my local shop and besides just freeing the round and getting it to rack they greased it up with Frog Lube. That was a year and a half ago and it hasn't jammed since during once-a-month range outings.

I have an Estwing sportsman's axe (hatchet) that came with an unstained leather sheath. Because it's just a standard blonde/tan sheath, I've though about picking up some darker dye to make the oak leaves and acorn toolings pop out more. As a bit of an experiment, I applied some Frog Lube paste as a simple means to condition the leather. It immediately darkened the leather to a warm chestnut! Hopefully it'll hold up its color as the sheath dries, but I'll probably build up several applications to aid in that process.

Love how widely usable and gentle Frog Lube is.

One of the cleaners that I actually use on my hands as well. Great for removing powder or other grimy stuff from reloading..... Moisturizing too! :laugh:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Frog Lube is coconut oil

Here is a guy who had access to various chemical analysis tools. This quote comes from a forum, so there are other things and links there.
Alright, so I have an IR and an NMR spectrum for both the FrogLube and the coconut oil. As you can probably surmise, the two are almost completely identical in both methods. The only real difference can be seen in the NMR, where the FrogLube (top) has evidence of small amount of additive in what we call the "aromatic region" of the spectrum ( >6.5 on the x-axis).
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbull ... here-first

I think I'll buy some at Trader Joe's and see what's what. Worst comes to worst I will cook with it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I still use FrogLube, but have modified it's use - do not get it anywhere near firing pin springs or channels or hammers - it will cause light strikes/misfires - particularly in cool to cold weather. Slathering it on as manufacturer recommends is a mistake that I learned the hard way. I use on balance of the guns body/slide/recoil spring/barrel as it truly makes for easy clean up. This applies to revolvers, too. I had to use brake cleaner/Gun Scrubber & contact cleaner to get FL out of the firing areas. Once done, no more problems.

On the other hand, have had no mold, ants, rust, corrosion. I still love the stuff, but it was a learning curve.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote:I still use FrogLube, but have modified it's use - do not get it anywhere near firing pin springs or channels or hammers - it will cause light strikes/misfires - particularly in cool to cold weather. Slathering it on as manufacturer recommends is a mistake that I learned the hard way.
Huh? Manufacturer recommends using a tiny tiny bit. And all cases of misfires I have heard of were because of an over application.

Also it works, it's cheap enough and it smells good. I'll stick with it.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Where folks run into issues, IMO, is failing to wipe off all the excess after using it for cleaning. Shouldn't be more than a thin coating. I may have to try some coconut oil now though!
- Maya Angelou

I applied exactly like their videos showed how to do it when I started using FrogLube approz. 2+ years ago. I also wipe down with microfiber cloth removing all excess. Still use it, still love it, but it gets nowhere near firing pin or springs on striker fired and hammer fired. Since then no misfires or light strikes.

Tried it and I like it. It's over hyped and it's good but so is a lot of other stuff. Personally I have guns and knives that have been treated with Breakfree CLP for over 30 years and never have had a failure, rust, or problems with light strikes/misfires. So, because I'm old, I'll stay with what has worked for 30+ years.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I used Frog Lube grease on the ball of my trailer hitch today!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle