Question for owners of .22 AR conversion kits (pic heavy)

Hey folks, I'm hoping that someone who owns one of the .22 AR conversion kits, such as this CMMG one, can help me out.

My rifle has a non-reciprocating side charging handle on the upper - no t-handle. It's actually stupidly simple. The side charging handle has a small horizontal tab that fits into a slot milled into the front left-side of the BCG.

What I'd like to know before I drop money on one of these kits is: does the material on these .22 conversion bolts ride relatively close to the left side?

Could I just mill a slot for the charging handle tab on the front left side of the bolt?

What do y'all think?

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/Jdtul#0

Re: Question for owners of .22 AR conversion kits (pic heavy

I'm with M4. A stripped upper, barrel from Sportsman's Guide and the rest along with the CMMG kit should only set you back ~$350 or so, Aero upper is $89, barrel is $99, handguards are damned near free, you won't need a gas tube or anything due to the recoil operation of the .22 bolt. The conversion kit is the most expensive.

Also, you don't have to worry about it not being 'accurate'. Shooting .22lr (.220") down a .223" barrel is basically a bit better than throwing a hotdog down a hallway. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

M4Builder wrote:Probably not seeing as how the place you have marked for the slot is in front of the bolt. You'd be better served getting a dedicated upper.
Unless I'm misunderstanding though, isn't that what it would take?

There's a fixed section towards the front of the conversion bolt that doesn't move, and then about 3 inches or so of bolt riding on that guiderod/spring at the top, right?

ETA - so a slot in the fixed section (and perhaps partially in the bolt section) should hopefully allow the charging handle to work. Then again, if there's any risk that milling will weaken the chamber wall it'd be a damn fool thing to do.

I realize this may be pie in the sky, and I don't mean to be playing devil's advocate here, but there are two issues with the 'dedicated .22 upper option'

1 - I'd very much like to retain the same controls and ergonomics while shooting .22

2 - This particular AR is actually something of a specialty small frame rifle. (JP SCR-11) according to the manufacturer at least, most uppers won't work on the lower.

Putting a .22 kit on a regular lower may wind up being the way to go though. Like I said, this is pie in the sky, but if I can make it work.

Anyway, wholehearted thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Fiddler wrote:
M4Builder wrote:Probably not seeing as how the place you have marked for the slot is in front of the bolt. You'd be better served getting a dedicated upper.
Unless I'm misunderstanding though, isn't that what it would take?

There's a fixed section towards the front of the conversion bolt that doesn't move, and then about 3 inches or so of bolt riding on that guiderod/spring at the top, right?

ETA - so a slot in the fixed section (and perhaps partially in the bolt section) should hopefully allow the charging handle to work. Then again, if there's any risk that milling will weaken the chamber wall it'd be a damn fool thing to do.

I realize this may be pie in the sky, and I don't mean to be playing devil's advocate here, but there are two issues with the 'dedicated .22 upper option'

1 - I'd very much like to retain the same controls and ergonomics while shooting .22

2 - This particular AR is actually something of a specialty small frame rifle. (JP SCR-11) according to the manufacturer at least, most uppers won't work on the lower.

Putting a .22 kit on a regular lower may wind up being the way to go though. Like I said, this is pie in the sky, but if I can make it work.

Anyway, wholehearted thanks for the advice. :thumbup:
For a 22 build, I'd probably just pickup a NFA Complete poly lower and do the upper build that the guys mentioned. $135 shipped and done.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Fro ... w15blk.htm
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Welp in the grand tradition of stubborn jerks everywhere, I decided to ignore all the good advice you guys gave me and see if I could manage to do a bolt conversion.

( :wtf: I need to learn how to take advice...)

Ignoring good advice? Generally a bad idea! I don't recommend it.... But just this one time?

It actually worked!
It's alive! Alive!

I removed no material on the breechface/near the chamber or on any reciprocating parts. It was actually a very minor change. It's not so pretty (I'm not machinist) but I'm pretty confident that it's safe.

Excited to try it.

Secretary of Oregon LGC and LGC Instructor
Cowboy Action Shooting Alias: Jabber Walk.
Member, TCGC. | Firearm Safety
Paid your dues? | Subscribe to your local thread.