Re: knife for self-defense: need recommendations

CDFingers wrote:See that silver colored Argentine there in the middle? Unless the burglar has a gun, he can see you have it in the dark. Either he will bail and run, or he'll be breathing through a hole in his chest. He will run.

A nice, long bayonet is a very persuasive tool. Unless the bad guy has a gun.

CDFingers

Yes it is, but pretty hard to conceal! :sarcasm:
Merle from PA

Inquisitor wrote:Pepper spray.

Be careful with batons, some states also have some weird rules on them. A baton is a nice thing though, or google "unbreakable umbrella."

A nice walking stick could also be a handy deterrent and probably won't run afoul any baton rules. I think Irish sells some serviceable cudgels.

Yep, blackthorn walking sticks are VERY sturdy. I would avoid anything with a concealed blade, sharpened tip, etc as these are likely to be looked upon unfavorably by your DA. I would also look into a local martial arts studio to teach you how to use it. Such an implement is quite effective in CQB. :beer2:
Merle from PA

CDFingers wrote:In California it's legal to carry a sheath knife as long as it's totally visible.

When I go out late late late at night I slip that Spanish bolo, the shortest in the above pic, in its sheath into my belt at the back. The sheath has a button for the frog, and that allows the bayo to hang nicely from my belt. Unless the guy or guys have a gun, they will run. I've never had to pull it, though, in 30 years up here.

CDFingers

That's the bayo for a FR-8, isn't it? ;)
Merle from PA

Bucolic wrote:Yeah, doncha love the Kimber tin box? There must be something to do with that.

By the way, I watched some YouTube videos that show the pattern. It's pretty tight. You really need to aim it. It looks like about 12 inch diameter at ten feet or so. It also looks like some nasty brew!
I was thinking the same thing, but just don't have enough space as it is. Might be good for primer or bullet storage or something.

And yeah, definitely not a spray and pray- gotta have some aim or it's going to completely miss. It looks like a nasty brew for sure, and the guys who got nailed with it were prepared- eyes closed and holding their breath- imagine not being ready like that- it'd drop you right to the ground.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

In my head, the term "self-defense knife" gets translated into "screen door lifeboat".

A big-azz Mk IV can of Defense Technologies' CS/OC in a discreet belt carrier will provide you with a go-anywhere incapacitator with enough juice to hose three or four people.

An inexpensive option that won't leave you covered with somebody else's blood and sitting in the back of a patrol car. And that's how it'll be if everything goes well for you.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

JoelB wrote:Almost every time we had a stabbing victim, we found the stabber at a hospital getting his fingers stitch up. Where legal, a Kimber Pepper Blaster is your best bet.
Don't these things only have enough pepper spray for two squirts? Seems pointless if you run into a group of punks that are looking to start some trouble. I almost feel like bear spray might be the better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might read two posts up. Is this thing on? Tap, tap.

Let me quote myself, because once was not enough:
A big-azz Mk IV can of Defense Technologies' CS/OC (Or Fox Labs ) in a discreet belt carrier will provide you with a go-anywhere incapacitator with enough juice to hose three or four people.

Carl_Spackler wrote:
JoelB wrote:Almost every time we had a stabbing victim, we found the stabber at a hospital getting his fingers stitch up. Where legal, a Kimber Pepper Blaster is your best bet.
Don't these things only have enough pepper spray for two squirts? Seems pointless if you run into a group of punks that are looking to start some trouble. I almost feel like bear spray might be the better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

It was touched on before.... but many local laws make this difficult. If you are concerned about long walks at night, I'd go the walking stick route until you procure a CCW permit/License. I know in FL, where I currently reside (and attempt to abide) you need a CCW for spray and or taser.

Bottom line, walking stick is a legitimate dual use tool that can be converted to a weapon, where in anti-weapon areas, the act of possessing a weapon can turn defending yourself into being "the attacker."

Get the CCW.
E pluribus unum

Also, if the person who is the recipient of the spray is one of the 25% that are immue to it's effects you're screwed. Also, it is very possible that the target will fight their way through the spray as well.

Whatevery your carry, be sure to train with it. If I end up taking public transport again for work, I'll get myself a nice hickory cane. I can ride the bus/train with one and they level the playing field quite nicely once you get decent with it. http://americancaneselfdefense.com/
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:Also, if the person who is the recipient of the spray is one of the 25% that are immue to it's effects you're screwed. Also, it is very possible that the target will fight their way through the spray as well.

Whatevery your carry, be sure to train with it. If I end up taking public transport again for work, I'll get myself a nice hickory cane. I can ride the bus/train with one and they level the playing field quite nicely once you get decent with it. http://americancaneselfdefense.com/
25%?? Theres a 1 in 4 chance of pepper spray not working on someone? Any citations? I read something like 1% empirically, 25% makes me wonder if it's worth having at all.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou