Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack

I was just seeing if there was anything on the boards about the Fatboy Versipack.

There is the thread on the larger Jumbo...
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... axpedition

but nothing on its smaller cousin (that my limited search found).

This all started when my husband (Arkham) and I started really discussing the possibility of getting CCW, and carrying. One of the least expensive options with high versatility and quality with a CCW pouch is the Maxpedition Versipack series.

I started out months back by getting a Maxpedition Versipack Jumbo EDC S-Type. Wow... that's a mouth full. It turned out that it was just too big. I can't stop myself from cramming tons of crap into any bag I have, and loaded, including a water bottle, it was at about 20 lbs.

So, with some reluctance, I downsized to a Fatboy S-Type. One of the odd things about the S-Type, compared to the standard right-side carry version, is that there is no phone holder on the S-Type. That rather bothered me, but it turns out the phone holder on the standard Fatboy is a pretty terrible fit for an iphone in an otterbox case.

So, not the biggest problem. I ordered a Skinth phone case (a 'Milky Way'). Skinth is a small company that makes excellent nylon cases (for phones, multitools, etc), with a good deal of customization available. Not cheap, and not super fast to deliver since they're made to order, but excellent quality. Just google 'Skinth' if you want to find the company. The case attaches securely via molle straps to the front strap of the bag. Keep in mind this is an S-Type, meaning left side carry (since I'm left handed).

With the phone problem solved, the bag has been my normal EDC for six months or so now, and works great. Loaded weight is about 8 to 12 lbs, depending on exactly what I have in it.

It will add 1.5 more lbs when I get CCW licensing, and put my Ruger LC9 in. Which, by the way, the bag will hold any of the small subcompact 9's quite comfortably, and all of the compacts I've tried as well. The Glock 19 might be pushing it, but I haven't tried.

In a discussion with our CCW instructor on brandishing, I demonstrated one of the features I like about the bag. With the CCW pouch unzipped, I can have my hand on my pistol, and none of it is visible. So, it's slower in a 'quick draw' sort of scenario, since you have to first unzip the CCW pocket, but faster to deploy if you know the trouble is coming, since you can have your hand on the weapon, ready to draw without 'brandishing'. Every time in my life in the past where I wished I'd had a pistol, I saw the threat coming. That's not necessarily always going to be the case, but if I had to pick one capability over the other, I think I prefer it to inside the waistband carry with a shirt draped over it.

So, as a regular old everyday carry bag, I rate it highly. Time will tell how I like it for CCW.

Re: Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack

Yeah, I stuffed my friend's para-ordinance double stack 1911 into the Jumbo, and it was no sweat. You can't do that with the Fatboy. I'll see if I can find another larger pistol to check for fit in the Fatboy, but I SEEM to recall it would hold my friend's SIG p228. Not a full size, but a decent sized compact. I also THINK I might have tried a full size Glock 17, and it was really tight. Getting old, and forgetting details sucks. :D

I'm also certain I'll never carry anything larger than a compact 9. I can see if you want to carry a full size why that'd shy you away from the Fatboy.

For the record, I also vastly preferred the waist strap of the Jumbo to the Fatboy's. I seem to recall it's fastex buckles, where removing the Fatboy's is a painfully slow process of unthreading the straps from a buckle. But I've only put that waist strap on a couple times (for long hikes), so not a deal-breaker for me.

Re: Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack

Used to see a lot of those when working at Disney World.

Seemed like a good compromise between a messenger bag and a backpack. Though clearly showing the truth, all men are secretly jealous of a woman's ability to carry a purse without society judging her.

That and security always missed the CCW pocket during bag checks.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather